Mike Brown Thought of the Day

COB

So...the Bears just forked over a little under $200 million for a big plot of land in Arlington Heights, about 35 miles outside of Chicago. They've been looking to get out of Soldier Field for a while and it looks like that process is gearing up. Their lease on Soldier Field runs through 2033, but they can reportedly get out of it starting in 2026 by paying the city $84 million, peanuts in NFL terms. (And the number goes down in each subsequent year until the lease is up.)

I mention this because there is already speculation up here that this could attract a second team to Chicago, either an existing club or an expansion team. The market is certainly big enough to support it. It would have to be an AFC team, of course. And I couldn't help but recall that a certain other team's stadium deal in up in 2026 too...I wonder if Mikey does...

“Chicago?  Ol’ Shakeytown!  Buh Gawd, I remember Bronco Nagurski just was a human car crash out there!  Ha ha!  I’ll move the Bengals to the Windy City and I’ll never look back!!”  /Cackles insanely, adroitly pilots Rascal Freedom Power Wheelchair ($1,498.20 at Sam’s Club) out of family restroom on PBS concourse, length of toilet paper, stuck to his left shoe,  trailing behind./

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

“Ah yes, only year 30 of my 50 year rebuilding plan, and look, we’re in the right quadrant of a chart on my hand TV!”  /Cackles insanely, pilots Rascal Freedom Power Wheelchair ($1,498.20 at Sam’s Club) on wheelchair ramp outside Indian Hills Senior Center, chair plows through door and Mike triumphantly enters cafeteria for Spam Mac & Cheese Casserole day./

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the team can do two 5 year extensions on the lease which expires in 2026.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what happens moving forward.
I think winning a Super Bowl might make tax payers soften to the approach of additional public funding.

I won't be taking that approach mind you, but it will be intriguing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Doc was pretty merciless back in the day.  It is difficult to say this, but good for him, mending fences a little.  I’m glad he noted that while others took his insults personally, Mike stayed above it all.  

If Doc really wants to do a service on the way out the door, he should reassess all Mike’s business practices and NFL votes.  He ridiculed Mike for what he perceived as outdated stances on league issues and finance.  Sometimes Mike was the lone dissenter in league votes.  Time has proven Mike correct on a lot of those things.  

All that would be a lot of work though.  So Doc’s farewell column about Mike Brown turns out to be all about Doc.  I’ll miss Daugherty.  

Daily papers used to have these sports columnists who were a little like local celebrities.  They could sort of speak for the local fan base.  With the internet and the fracturing of our traditional media, those guys are a retiring breed.  

IMO, the scribes of the "Mike Brown Sucks" era became dated about when Marvin Lewis beat the undefeated Chiefs.   Doc, IMO, did not adjust along with some others and by default their opinion became worthless to me.   I could not really point to one thing Doc opined in the past 20 years.   I'm sure I read some stuff as that is not really a burdensome activity but his voice/view wasn't one I sought out when the direction of this franchise started to turn.

That was well said.  Easiest thing in the world is to sit in the sideline and lob grenades at people trying to accomplish difficult tasks.  I do it all the time.  It’s a different thing to provide insight, knowledgeable analysis.  Doc couldn’t make the transition.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they keep Paul Brown in the name somehow.     I guess these companies that pay money out see the value in it.    Now is the time to do with 5 prime time games and more focus on the team in recent memory.

I would like to see the team pump some money into the stadium vs. the holding up the tax payers/fans for the whole renovation bill.  I assume within a year or two there will be some sort of plan to upgrade the stadium.  

Again, hoping for something local with a simple and concise name.
"Cintas Field at Paul Brown Stadium" or like Hoosier mentioned with Kroger.
"American Financial Field at Paul Brown Stadium".

NOT:
"Angel Fluff Diaper Company Field at Paul Brown Stadium"
(Yes, that's a company)