Sign in to follow this  
COB

Mike Brown Thought of the Day

So...the Bears just forked over a little under $200 million for a big plot of land in Arlington Heights, about 35 miles outside of Chicago. They've been looking to get out of Soldier Field for a while and it looks like that process is gearing up. Their lease on Soldier Field runs through 2033, but they can reportedly get out of it starting in 2026 by paying the city $84 million, peanuts in NFL terms. (And the number goes down in each subsequent year until the lease is up.)

I mention this because there is already speculation up here that this could attract a second team to Chicago, either an existing club or an expansion team. The market is certainly big enough to support it. It would have to be an AFC team, of course. And I couldn't help but recall that a certain other team's stadium deal in up in 2026 too...I wonder if Mikey does...

“Chicago?  Ol’ Shakeytown!  Buh Gawd, I remember Bronco Nagurski just was a human car crash out there!  Ha ha!  I’ll move the Bengals to the Windy City and I’ll never look back!!”  /Cackles insanely, adroitly pilots Rascal Freedom Power Wheelchair ($1,498.20 at Sam’s Club) out of family restroom on PBS concourse, length of toilet paper, stuck to his left shoe,  trailing behind./

• Like 1

“Ah yes, only year 30 of my 50 year rebuilding plan, and look, we’re in the right quadrant of a chart on my hand TV!”  /Cackles insanely, pilots Rascal Freedom Power Wheelchair ($1,498.20 at Sam’s Club) on wheelchair ramp outside Indian Hills Senior Center, chair plows through door and Mike triumphantly enters cafeteria for Spam Mac & Cheese Casserole day./

• Like 1