Bengals Sign LB Kevin Minter

Stripes

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Kevin Minter, ILB from Arizona, is being signed?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18944982/cincinnati-bengals-signing-linebacker-kevin-minter

Question mark because Bengals.

This is a decent signing. He will be more than adequate in replacing Dansby. 

This is kind of hard to believe.  What would be easy to believe is that his agent would put him in talks with the Bengals, then leak this story, thus forcing Arizona to act.  That's much more likely, though it is very encouraging to know the Bengals are talking to someone of this caliber.

Rotoworld already has him listed as a Bengal on his profile page.

i checked out PFF and he struggled badly in some games last year.  If that weren't true, he wouldn't be available this deep into free agency.  Hopefully he has room to improve and will do so.  They needed a linebacker and it appears they went and got an NFL starter.

Don't really care. Him being an upgrade to Dansby is debatable. Most Cards fans think he's a really great guy but not the best LB. Hell I have seen them say Dansby will be an upgrade to him.

Maybe Dansby from 4 years ago but not now.

I still want Foster at #9, so whatever. Depth.

He will be an upgrade over Dansby maybe not a Thomas Howard level player but he will be a positive addition. 

I doubt this changes the view as to drafting LBs, since they're is not much depth. 

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the defense. They do need Hardison, Billings and others to step up, so yes that's an open question. But adding an impact DE could right the D-line pretty quick. Add another LB and secondary depth and they should be solid. 

The Oline is where this team will succeed or fail. It's the only thing that could really, massively implode, which would mean this team will be drafting in the first seven in 2018. Absent competent Oline play, Dalton and Green could have career low seasons. 

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Except he's not fast. Never had been and struggled in coverage. Even his draft profile coming out of LSU thought he would continue to struggle with that in the NFL. 

Like I said, if he's an upgrade to our depth then I'm good. 

He had a really good 40 time and was rated top ten coverage LB last year

Ill take that over FNR

He won't be "depth" here, he'll be pushed into a FT starting role like Dansby was.  Not really a bad thing, probably the 2nd best LB on the roster at this point, but not much of a big play guy or coverage LB.  But yes an upgrade to Dansby (who was forced into being a 3-down LB here unfortunately, which he no longer is).

I have no faith that Vigil is ever going to be more than a 5th LB/ST's guy.  Burfict and ReyM are constant question marks and they should find out this year if Burfict is worth relying on heavily going forward hopefully, or not.

I would've preferred Robinson, but at least they got somebody else in the group, which is sorely needed. Wouldn't mind seeing a high draft pick at LB either.  That group really killed their defense last year - can't tell you how many plays/games I watched where those guys were never even in the picture - (exception of a few good games by Burfict).

6 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

He won't be "depth" here, he'll be pushed into a FT starting role like Dansby was.  Not really a bad thing, probably the 2nd best LB on the roster at this point, but not much of a big play guy or coverage LB.  But yes an upgrade to Dansby (who was forced into being a 3-down LB here unfortunately, which he no longer is).

I have no faith that Vigil is ever going to be more than a 5th LB/ST's guy.  Burfict and ReyM are constant question marks and they should find out this year if Burfict is worth relying on heavily going forward hopefully, or not.

I would've preferred Robinson, but at least they got somebody else in the group, which is sorely needed. Wouldn't mind seeing a high draft pick at LB either.  That group really killed their defense last year - can't tell you how many plays/games I watched where those guys were never even in the picture - (exception of a few good games by Burfict).

I would have preferred Zach Brown but Minter makes the team better than not better. If they keep FNR, then they'll be saying they just don't care, as he doesn't contribute on ST. I could see Taze, Minter and LNR as starters. Put the best 3 out there. Agree on Vigil. Good back up, ST guy. 

If they take Foster or McKinley or Reddick, I'd be pretty happy. Foster has to be OK health wise (shoulder)  or pass. They don't have the luxury to have a r1 guy sit (again).