Bengals @ Texans Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

14 down, two to go. This game promises to be ugly. The Texans have a great defense and no offense, while the Bengals have an underperforming defense and no offense. Seems like the kind of game that degenerates into a FG kicking contest. I guess it's good that Nuge is gone, or maybe not, depending on your point of view.

Worth noting that Houston finally benched Osweiler yesterday so the Bengals will like face Tom Savage.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000758478/article/tom-savage-replaces-brock-osweiler-in-texans-victory

Well, at least my son is really looking forward to this game.  In all honesty, i'll be rooting for the Texans in this game right along with him.
I want to see his team do well and there's no point in the Bengals winning this game either.

I liked Savage coming out of Pitt and put together a mock draft that year with the Bengals taking him.
What does that equate too ??  Well, nothing really.  Osweiler has been amazingly terrible this year though.
The Texans have to face facts that they blew that call and just move on.

All that being said, watch the Bengals hand them a one-sided ass beating...

18 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

All that being said, watch the Bengals hand them a one-sided ass beating...

It wouldn't surprise me one bit. The Texans are in a three way scrum for the AFC South title with the Titans and Colts, and it's likely that only the division winner makes the postseason. They've got the edge with head-to-head wins over the Titans (1) and Colts (sweep) but they close against Tennessee and really can't afford a loss to Cincy.

Meanwhile, like I said elsewhere, all the pressure is off Cincy now. Win, lose, who cares, they're already booking vacation tickets for January. Jut watch them go out loose, have some fun, and score 50 points.

• Like 1

While Osweiler is riding the bench this week (and maybe next) they can't afford to cut him until after 2017.
They are stuck with him until that point in time.  Question for them is, do they pay him to ride the bench if Savage becomes the full time starter?
That was a screw up of epic proportions !!!

McCarron netting a 1st and 2nd ??  Sure, that's a deal needing to be done like right now.
I also don't think there's any chance in hell of it happening though.

This game is going to be full of questions for both teams.
What does Savage do after getting first team reps and actually being ready?
What do the Bengals do knowing their season is essentially over?

I "think" the Texans win this game with Savage actually showing he has skills.
However, as mentioned before, a Bengals win would not surprise me in the least.
It would just irritate me further in what has already been a VERY irritating season.

14 hours ago, kingwilly said:

You must be high as a kite to think McCarron would yield a r1 and r2 pick. Probably not even a r1 alone. 

Try a r3. 

Not so fast.   We are playing a team this week that gave Brock 4 years 72 mil and will be locked into that contract for the next 2 years or suffer huge dead money on their cap.

Any team shopping for a QB which there are plenty will gladly thrown in more draft pick compensation vs. the risk represented by the Brock contract.  

He will bring more than a 3rd is my guess already.     The main competition is Jimmy G.  and he has a shoulder injury and some bad bad preseason games with some very good regular season starts this year.      AJ has never looked bad at all and doesn't have a recent injury and doesn't come from an as friendly QB system like Jimmy.

Cleveland has a ton of picks and his former coach that was apart of an gross overpayment of Carson Palmer. 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

While Osweiler is riding the bench this week (and maybe next) they can't afford to cut him until after 2017.
They are stuck with him until that point in time.  Question for them is, do they pay him to ride the bench if Savage becomes the full time starter?
That was a screw up of epic proportions !!!

McCarron netting a 1st and 2nd ??  Sure, that's a deal needing to be done like right now.
I also don't think there's any chance in hell of it happening though.

This game is going to be full of questions for both teams.
What does Savage do after getting first team reps and actually being ready?
What do the Bengals do knowing their season is essentially over?

I "think" the Texans win this game with Savage actually showing he has skills.
However, as mentioned before, a Bengals win would not surprise me in the least.
It would just irritate me further in what has already been a VERY irritating season.

It was a major screw up.   Houston is going to be forced to keep a bad Qb on the roster sucking up nearly 20 mil in cap room every year or suffer bad dead money cap hits.

They cut him after this year, 25 mil of the cap is gone.   So next year whether he's with them or not they'll have at least 20 mil or more from Brock against their cap.  After 2017 it shrinks to 6 mil in dead money or keep him at 20 mil cap cost. 

It's that risk that a team will throw in more draft compensation for AJ.  In a trade AJ will get a new contract but it won't carry the risk like a FA contract.    AJ is twice the QB prospect that Brock ever was.   He's probably a better prospect than Jimmy G too.

13 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

It was a major screw up.   Houston is going to be forced to keep a bad Qb on the roster sucking up nearly 20 mil in cap room every year or suffer bad dead money cap hits.

They cut him after this year, 25 mil of the cap is gone.   So next year whether he's with them or not they'll have at least 20 mil or more from Brock against their cap.  After 2017 it shrinks to 6 mil in dead money or keep him at 20 mil cap cost. 

It's that risk that a team will throw in more draft compensation for AJ.  In a trade AJ will get a new contract but it won't carry the risk like a FA contract.    AJ is twice the QB prospect that Brock ever was.   He's probably a better prospect than Jimmy G too.

I think the problem with your logic is Brock and Jimmy G both studied under HoF QBs and won Super Bowls. There's nothing like that here with Dalton and the Bengals.

AJ is a good prospect...GOOD. Not great, not amazing, there's a reason he wasn't a r1, r2, r3, or r4 pick. He's a GOOD backup and limited starting QB. It's funny you cite Hue at the Raiders as part of your logic because he made a move to get Palmer. Palmer was an Elite QB (but a quitter). There's nothing to compare Palmer to AJ, not anything. That, and the Raiders were literally desperate AF. Cleveland is also desperate but I don't see any way they could roll the dice on AJ for even one very high draft pick, they have a stockpile of picks, but those are gold in rebuilding the worst roster in the NFL. Factoring that the Bengals might not even take a deal, knowing how they operate. Maybe a (singular) third round pick. AJ just doesn't have enough proven to go on. and please don't cite pre-season.

To say that AJ is TWICE (?) the prospect that Brock is, might also be a stretch... To me, they are quite comparable. Yes, Houston made a super dumb move, and it does underscore how much teams overpay but that serves as the ultimate cautionary tale when you start throwing around teams giving a 1st and 2nd for AJ. No way. not gonna happen. Even Hue isn't that nuts. If not Cleveland, then SF, Chicago, NYJ, Jax, Miami, Buffalo?...no way.

On a similar tangent, Minny gave up a r1 and conditional r2-4 for Bradford. Bradford has been mostly miserable (or injured) but is still a higher ceiling than AJ. Bears gave up a r1 to get Rick Mirer from Chicago and their r4 pick. these deals don't often happen. Which makes the whole prospect implausible, for a guy like AJ.

9 hours ago, kingwilly said:

I think the problem with your logic is Brock and Jimmy G both studied under HoF QBs and won Super Bowls. There's nothing like that here with Dalton and the Bengals.

AJ is a good prospect...GOOD. Not great, not amazing, there's a reason he wasn't a r1, r2, r3, or r4 pick. He's a GOOD backup and limited starting QB. It's funny you cite Hue at the Raiders as part of your logic because he made a move to get Palmer. Palmer was an Elite QB (but a quitter). There's nothing to compare Palmer to AJ, not anything. That, and the Raiders were literally desperate AF. Cleveland is also desperate but I don't see any way they could roll the dice on AJ for even one very high draft pick, they have a stockpile of picks, but those are gold in rebuilding the worst roster in the NFL. Factoring that the Bengals might not even take a deal, knowing how they operate. Maybe a (singular) third round pick. AJ just doesn't have enough proven to go on. and please don't cite pre-season.

To say that AJ is TWICE (?) the prospect that Brock is, might also be a stretch... To me, they are quite comparable. Yes, Houston made a super dumb move, and it does underscore how much teams overpay but that serves as the ultimate cautionary tale when you start throwing around teams giving a 1st and 2nd for AJ. No way. not gonna happen. Even Hue isn't that nuts. If not Cleveland, then SF, Chicago, NYJ, Jax, Miami, Buffalo?...no way.

On a similar tangent, Minny gave up a r1 and conditional r2-4 for Bradford. Bradford has been mostly miserable (or injured) but is still a higher ceiling than AJ. Bears gave up a r1 to get Rick Mirer from Chicago and their r4 pick. these deals don't often happen. Which makes the whole prospect implausible, for a guy like AJ.

AJ is twice the prospect just based on game film is my contention.   Heck,  I'm no coach though.    AJ is also more than twice the prospect when you consider he's still on his last year of his rookie deal and not a FA.      

Brock got 72 mil over 4.   Brock, 72 mil over 4.   Houston will either have to absorb his 20 mil cap hit or suffer 20+ mil cap hit in dead money for a guy they benched.

Any team shopping for a QB.   Will gladly pony up extra draft picks.   AJ will get a new deal via trade but it won't be a "Free Agent Market" deal.   He'll get the prove it team friendly deal and also a nice raise and he'll probably hit their cap around 8-10 mil if that with way lower guaranteed money.

Hue is very relevant.  He scouted, drafted, played AJ.  He has proven he can get management to overpay for a QB.   He needs a QB and sits on top of a pile of draft picks that have reached a point that it isn't max value to just sit there and draft college players and cut over half of them in two years.

IF Cleveland entesr the QB trade market or FA market they will drive up the price for any other team because they have a desperate need, ton of cap room and ton of picks.

The biggest factor right now is having the top college QB prospects not look so hot in the up coming evaluations they participate in.   Crappy bowls.  Crappy workouts. 

On 12/19/2016 at 11:53 AM, HoosierCat said:

so the Bengals will like face Tom Savage.

You can't stop Tom Savage, you can only hope to contain him.  It will probably come down to who wants it more.  It's gut check time, that's for sure.  They just need to make plays on both sides of the ball.  They also need to stop the big play, and take care of the ball.  

On 12/19/2016 at 0:26 PM, ArmyBengal said:

In all honesty, i'll be rooting for the Texans in this game right along with him.

Get out of my foxhole, traitor!  JK, I get it, my kid has been a front-running Patriots fan for years.  Totally annoys me but I still shell out for the Tom Brady fathead, the hooded sweatshirt, etc.  Effin' kids.  Bradys' suspension was like the greatest present I ever got.  Talking shit for months about how Brady's play is all a result of cheating, etc.  

17 hours ago, COB said:

Get out of my foxhole, traitor!  JK, I get it, my kid has been a front-running Patriots fan for years.  Totally annoys me but I still shell out for the Tom Brady fathead, the hooded sweatshirt, etc.  Effin' kids.  Bradys' suspension was like the greatest present I ever got.  Talking shit for months about how Brady's play is all a result of cheating, etc.  

I don't give him any grief about it since he was born in San Antonio.  They don't have a team, so he picked the Texans over the Cowboys.
We have a good time with it and this Christmas Eve will be fun with the whole family at the house.

Yeah, fatheads, hoodies, hats, you name it.  All things Texans in that kids room.
While we are missing the game in Houston this year, the Texans are supposed to make another visit to Cincinnati in 2017.

Good times !!!

Injury notes via Hobs:

Burfict in concussion protocol + has a knee injury

Green still limited in practice Wednesday

Hill out yesterday, knee injury. Ditto Kroft. Erickson out for some non-injury reason.

Boling also out yesterday. If he can't go Saturday they may slide Whit to LG and start Ced at LT. Or they might sub TJ Johnson for Boling.