Browns @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Yeah, Geno has been quiet so far this year. To be fair he gets double-teamed just about every play, but that ought to open up opportunities for others and Dunlap is the only one making plays. Peko, Sims, MJ, Hunt and Clarke aren't giving opposing teams any reason not focus on Geno and Carlos.

21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Lol 

Worth re-upping this (above) and Joe's follow-up after the Hail Mary: 

In light of this today from Doc:

1. On the Hail Mary drive, MLewis admitted he initially wanted to kill the clock. The Men took over at their 15 with just over a minute left in the half. Gio Bernard ran for 5 on 1st down, but the Browns called timeout. Gio ran again on 2nd down to the 26, and Lewis called TO. Dalton then went to the air, 9 yds to T. Eifert, 16 to AJ and 7 to Gio, before the Hail Mary.

So Hue helped us win even as head coach of Cleveland. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously, that might have been the game right there. If the Bengals just kneel on the ball, then the Browns come out and score to open the half...well, who knows?

The Hail Mary was described as luck by Harrison on NBC highlight show.    Although a rare play.   Green has incredible hand/eye coordination this is his second hail mary reception. 

As for Marvin.  Some of the offensive woes over the years belongs to him.    He decided to sit on the ball even before Hue decided to punt.   They could have called time out to preserve clock.     

Drives me nuts.   Just afraid to take advantage of a mismatch in favor for fearing the worse case scenario.    I thought we saw a good contrast of approaches last week vs. Patriots.  I know Marvin let up off the gas the last two times in Baltimore.     

You look back on the Pitt game in the rain storm.   Early on, the Steelers knew we would go to grind it out so they threw some secondary blitzes and came up with some big run stops.

Marvin is the tortoise,  slow and safe wins the race.

OK, had a chance to hit up gamepass over lunch. A few thoughts:

The defense sounds (on radio) a lot worse than it looks. Amphar is right about Hue having these guys playing hard and the Browns offense simply made some plays. Crowell had a 20-ish yard run late on the Brows' first TD drive that was all him juking Margus Hunt out of several jock straps, and the TD run itself was perfect blocking by the Browns. Kevin Hogan's 10-yard shovel pass was one of those desperation heaves that fails 9 out of 10 times. This was the 10th. D definitely got better in the second half, minus the early TD.

Speaking of Hogan his play-fakes were positively Boomer-esque. I want to ding the D for letting him pile up that many rushing yards but I can see how they got fooled multiple times. If he gets the passing part of the job down he could be very good.

I know it was the Browns defense, but the Bengals' offense also looked to be executing much better, especially the oline's run-blocking (pass blocking still iffy). Also Jeremy Hill was breaking tackles and getting yards after contact, which we haven't seen a lot of. Hope he didn't get too banged up Sunday.

Dalton was good but there were a few plays (and a sack or two on them) when he needed to speed up his decision making.

The drive at the end of the half that ended with the Green Hail Mary catch (and that was NOT luck) also looked a little bit better than it sounded. It was clearly a half-hearted drive on the part of the Bengals (coaches and play calling, not so much the players) but after they picked up the first they seemed to get serious about getting enough for at least a long FG try. That ended when Andy took stupidly took a sack at midfield. The next play was the Hail Mary, which erased all the bad that came before it. Had it not the failure of that drive would have fallen on Dalton.

Anyhow, FWIW...

Our defense looks just plain awful

If your last name isn't Dunlap, and you are a defensive player, you should be returning half your check every week

Offense is a bit better, but Ogbeuhi should be turning in his entire check.  Its a really hard pill for me to swallow that Bodine looks good by comparison

Special teams blocking is even worse than Ogbuehi's, virtually nonexistent.  Hard to do anything but call for a fair catch when at least one member of the coverage team is standing in front of you waiting patiently for the punt to arrive every time you catch a punt

This simply isnt a playoff caliber team, even if we somehow luck into a 9-7 wildcard spot

Disagree with what is a playoff caliber team especially when you are getting QB level play that Dalton is giving them.  Typically every team battling for seeds 3-6 have regular season issues to overcome. 

The current division leader (Steelers) has 2 bad losses,IMO, bengals have none based on the results through week 7.