Bengals @ Cowboys Game Thread

HoosierCat

It's great for the Bengals to get a little extra time but as a fan I hate the longer wait to the next game!

Cowboys play San Fran Sunday.

Looking back to 2012, the last meeting between these two teams has some echoes of last night's game. The Bengals drove into Cowboys territory five times, but only punched it in once, settling for field goals on the other four opportunities. Unfortunately, Dallas was better then than Miami was yesterday. The Bengals were up 19-10 with less than 10 minutes left in the game before Tony Romo took over. With 9:47 left he shredded the secondary in three minutes, going 68 yards for the score, including a 23-yard completion against Chris Crocker and a 27-yard TD strike to Dez Bryant. The Bengals got the ball back with 6:44 to go but could only run about two and a half minutes off before a sack on 3rd and 4 forced them to give the ball back. In the remaining 3:44,Romo and DeMarco Murray dink 'n' dunked their way from the Cowboys 28 to the Cincy 22, setting up a game-winning FG with four seconds left.

Though the Bengals gained more yards and the TO battle was even, Cincy was just 4-11 on third down (versus 11-19 for Dallas), amassed 70 yards in penalties (versus 46 for Dallas) and,of course, couldn't find the end zone, instead kicking FGs from the Dallas 5, 7, 15 and 34 yard lines. Can't afford a repeat performance of the red zone woes in that game or the Miami game next week.

I think Eifert is back and even if he's not 100% (which he won't be) he still presents an issue needing to be addressed by the opposing defense.
Eifert at 90% is probably still better than most everything else we have at the position and requires the opposition's attention.

Just his presence in the red zone changes the dynamic greatly as well.

Also, for what it's worth I had this as a win before taking a loss the following game in Foxboro.
After that it's smooth sailing to a 13-3 record.  Well, maybe not smooth.
Ok, maybe not 13-3.  Whatever.....

Will be interesting to see if Dez plays and how well Dre Kirk recovers. Dak has shown poise and has other weapons but the more Dallas is limited, the more I like the Bengals to win. 

Nothingabout the Dallas D causes me concern. We should have some success. 

I thought the Raiders were going to throw it away fourth quarter, but thanks to Reggie Nelson they held on at the end .... the AFCN is wide open (except for Cleveland who play tough but just can't get a W)

Hue got sick during the free agency period and had to stay home.  No one else took the reins, and they let mid level starter after mid level starter just walk out the door.  The baseball/Harvard thing is a desperate move.  It's pretty much the owner admitting he can't succeed doing it the way everyone else does it.  So maybe try some saber metrics crapola and see how that goes.  Fail.

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Watching pieces of the Dallas game.  Elliott is a monster and Prescott isn't making mad mistakes.

This is going to be a tough game.

Without Dez, I don't see anything but a decent run game and a poised, young QB. Witten is limited anymore, and I don't fear him down the seam or in the red zone like I do some TEs. Beasley isn't a game changer but can move the chains, so our slot db will need to be sharp (I hope Shaw can play, as Dennard has been a disappointment). 

The Dallas D let SF inexplicably hang around, and they are burnable on the back end, note on the Claiborne INT, the WR was behind the CB, a better thrown ball would have been a TD. They don't stop the run so well, so maybe we get two full halves of good ball from Hill. 

Zeke Elliot presents a good challenge but the run D has been steadily improving, especially with Vontaze back. LNR, Burfict, Danby and FNR is a good LB group. 

It's Monday but I'll call it a Bengals win 27-23, Cowboys come back down to earth. 

16 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

Without Dez, I don't see anything but a decent run game and a poised, young QB. Witten is limited anymore, and I don't fear him down the seam or in the red zone like I do some TEs. Beasley isn't a game changer but can move the chains, so our slot db will need to be sharp (I hope Shaw can play, as Dennard has been a disappointment). 

The Dallas D let SF inexplicably hang around, and they are burnable on the back end, note on the Claiborne INT, the WR was behind the CB, a better thrown ball would have been a TD. They don't stop the run so well, so maybe we get two full halves of good ball from Hill. 

Zeke Elliot presents a good challenge but the run D has been steadily improving, especially with Vontaze back. LNR, Burfict, Danby and FNR is a good LB group. 

It's Monday but I'll call it a Bengals win 27-23, Cowboys come back down to earth. 

I thought Dennard played well subbing in for the injured  Dre this week.

More fun with history: Dallas has been a black hole for Cincy. The Bengals are 1-5 lifetime in Dallas, with the 1988 Super Bowl squad notching the only win. The caveat: that team was one of only two good Bengals team to travel to Dallas, the other being the 10-4 1973 team that would lose in the playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl champion Dolphins. Their day in Dallas was marred by a terrible outing by Kenny Anderson, who threw 3 picks (out of a total 12 on the season). The other losers included:

Homer Rice's 4-12 1979 crew.

Wyche's hapless 3-13 1991 squad.

The 4-12 Coslet/LeBeau 2000 team.

Marvin's 2008 4-11-1 stumblebums led by Popgun Fitzpatrick.

17 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

More fun with history: Dallas has been a black hole for Cincy. The Bengals are 1-5 lifetime in Dallas, with the 1988 Super Bowl squad notching the only win. The caveat: that team was one of only two good Bengals team to travel to Dallas, the other being the 10-4 1973 team that would lose in the playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl champion Dolphins. Their day in Dallas was marred by a terrible outing by Kenny Anderson, who threw 3 picks (out of a total 12 on the season). The other losers included:

Homer Rice's 4-12 1979 crew.

Wyche's hapless 3-13 1991 squad.

The 4-12 Coslet/LeBeau 2000 team.

Marvin's 2008 4-11-1 stumblebums led by Popgun Fitzpatrick.

Shudders!

Damn, Zim's Vikings looked like a very well coached team last night.

More and more, I think we missed the boat by not hiring Zimmer.  And Marvin's exit plan looks like win 8 or 9 games in '16 and '17, then get the hell out of town.  Mike's promote from within philosophy is not likely to change.  So who does that leave us with as a head coach?  

39 minutes ago, COB said:

Damn, Zim's Vikings looked like a very well coached team last night.

More and more, I think we missed the boat by not hiring Zimmer.  And Marvin's exit plan looks like win 8 or 9 games in '16 and '17, then get the hell out of town.  Mike's promote from within philosophy is not likely to change.  So who does that leave us with as a head coach?  

Well, Hue Jackson should be finishing up in The Mistake by about that time...

• Like 1