Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

HoosierCat

Coley...

Vontaze Burfict said after practice that he isn't 100 percent yet, but his mindset is to play right away for the Bengals. DC Paul Guenther said he wouldn't play him if he wasn't 100 percent. LB Emmanuel Lamur told me Burfict looked like his old self today. "Like he hasn't missed a beat."

This is going to be one hell of a tough game, win and we open up a 3 game lead lose and we're just 1 game ahead with half a season still to play.

Best case scenarios will be either keep the game close going into the 4th quarter if Pitts have the lead, or Cincy to have a commanding lead over Pitts and then control the clock.

Either way the 7-0 start isn't a formality, it's not a given, it's not just a turn-up-and-we-win type of deal, this will be a brutal hard fought game where victory (by either side) will have to be earned the hard way

Lets Play Ball !!

Is there anybody else hoping that the bengals blitz a little bit more as the season goes on? Paul continues to hope the front 4 can do it all, and while they have looked good there are times the QB seems to have all day to throw to wide open receivers. I really think if he can come up with some exotic blitzes it's time to use them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Burfict getting snaps, but I don't really want to see him out there killing himself.

All players go through camp and 4 preseason games to get themselves in football shape.

When did he last play ?? Yeah, ease him back into the mix and have him for the run into the playoffs.

There is a good article about Paul Alexander in this week's Sports Illustrated. Read it last night, portrays him as a super bright guy and it cited a bunch of stats that showed his o-line is just about the best at pass protection over the last several years.

The article said he has developed and teaches his own pass blocking techniques. No one else uses them, and they are fundamentally different from what everyone else in the league uses. I can't recite the whole article from memory, and I can't find it anywhere online to provide a link.

Basically, in pass blocking when everyone else employs a punch to the chest as your first contact with the defender, Alexander never employs the punch. He sort of teaches his guys to get one hand low, wait for the guy to commit to which way he's going, then crowd your body into his on the other side from the direction he is trying to go, essentially using the guys own momentum against him to shove him out of the play. There were quotes in there from Alexander stating why would anyone try to get right in front of this powerful force, effectively allowing the defender to bring all of his power to bear directly on you. Use all that power to work against him.

There was also a quote from some college line coach who said there is the way the rest of NFL teaches pass blocking, then there is Paul Alexander's way.

Also, it said Alexander stays in shape by dodging rocks thrown at him from the Brent Spence Bridge every time he walks to his car after practice. He's quoted in the article saying, "Shula has lost a lot of velocity and even some control, he's definitely getting a little older, but so am I, so it still works."

I thought it was determined, in here, that Paul Alexander was a horse's behind?

Media pundits think they know everything!

Or was that only because they were losing?

Give me 1st and 2nd round picks every year that I don't really have to develop to anchor both tackle positions and one guard position, and a 4th or 5th round pick in the middle or two, and I'll be just as good Alexander!

I don't see how you're the #1 o-line with this mediocre/inconsistent running game, it's just not there (yet).

Alexander is still crap, but he's not going to fail because he has talent and a lot of experience. They are a good 0-line, but am not sure they're a SB caliber o-line yet or not.

I thought it was determined, in here, that Paul Alexander was a horse's behind?

Media pundits think they know everything!

Or was that only because they were losing?

Give me 1st and 2nd round picks every year that I don't really have to develop to anchor both tackle positions and one guard position, and a 4th or 5th round pick in the middle or two, and I'll be just as good Alexander!

I don't see how you're the #1 o-line with this mediocre/inconsistent running game, it's just not there (yet).

Alexander is still crap, but he's not going to fail because he has talent and a lot of experience. They are a good 0-line, but am not sure they're a SB caliber o-line yet or not.

Just want to make sure I understand. According to this post and the microfracture post, I assume, in addition to a restauraunt owner, you are an orthopedic surgeon, and a professional NFL coaching advisor?

The article actually commented on that. It listed the incredible list of high picks Alexander has across the front line. Alexander is then quoted saying the bengals really show how much they value his positions by spending a lot of high picks on them, and that's why he's stayed in Cinci for 21 years.

The article also said he's a piano virtuoso and a world traveler. He also wrote a book about performing under pressure.

I'm afeared of Le'Veon Bell having a career day against us, our ability to bring a runner down at point of first contact has been woeful so far this season.

Ben Uselessbugger will come back and have an outstanding game

I'm hoping Eifert can continue with his performances and with the Pitts safety out maybe we have some success in the mid-range game as well as long ball to the wideouts.

Heart says a Bengals win (as always), head says Pitts take this one, stomach says the Bengals try a huge play on their first possession and it gets picked off

Nothing, not even the huge slab of rump steak that is awaiting me this evening, will give me greater pleasure than seeing the Bengals destroy Pittsburgh but I'm feeling pretty nervy about this game

Alexander is then quoted saying the bengals really show how much they value his positions by spending a lot of high picks on them, and that's why he's stayed in Cinci for 21 years.

Heh. Except for the time he cried like a little girl when they hired Lewis and had to be placated with the assistant HC title so he wouldn't take his medicine ball and go home.

Before we go too far praising Paul, let's not forget he was the architect of some of the worst lines we've had, too, like the one that almost got Palmer killed on a regular basis in the latter half of his Bengals career. Remember the infamous bloody nose picture? This was also the genius who thought Eric Ghaicuic was an NFL caliber player, wasted years trying to turn a shot putter into a LT and didn't think Evan Mathis was good enough to play on his line. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm thrilled he's got a good thing going now, but let's not get carried away.

@LanceMcAlister: .@BobHoltzmanESPN just said Burfict told him he would probably player "around 10 snaps" today #Bengals

Inactives:

@CincyJungle: #Bengals inactives v #Steelers:

WR M. Alford

CB C. Lewis-Harris

LB P.J. Dawson

TE C.J. Uzomah

DT M. Hardison

DT B. Thompson

DE M. Hunt

Call me crazy but as much as I want 55 back, sitting Dawson just so Burfict can play a handful of snaps strikes me as dumb. Wish they could have found a way to keep Thompson active, too.

WR M. Alford

CB C. Lewis-Harris

LB P.J. Dawson

TE C.J. Uzomah

DT M. Hardison

DT B. Thompson

DE M. Hunt

Call me crazy but as much as I want 55 back, sitting Dawson just so Burfict can play a handful of snaps strikes me as dumb. Wish they could have found a way to keep Thompson active, too.

Mayhaps Marvin/Hue are expecting to be able to run the ball all day against Pitts thus keeping our D off of the field thus inactive 5 out of 7 on the Defensive side of the ball

I'm equally excited and terrified by this game! We all know how historically we do in "big" games and I have a really bad feeling about everyone's hero rothlesberger destroying our secondary, and bell running for 200 yards plus. I hope someone's been teaching the lbs how to tackle or it could be a very long night. I. The other hand, we may just destroy them ;) win lose or draw it's not the season for us, just hope we prove everyone wrong......

Enjoy (from behind the sofa) jon