Roster Moves

HoosierCat

They waited to long on Vickerson who I really think could have helped the d-line, considering they didnt pass rush very well. Not really happy about that Bengals. Oh well see where they go from here.

Considering they keep moving DE inside I think it's time they look at DT. I wonder if there are any decent ones out there.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably weren't as concerned due to how many of the DE's played DT and still do.

Thompson played well Sunday as well. Granted they could have and should continue to make improvements, but it is what it is.

Geno will get his feet under him and the D-line will be just fine.

Burfict getting through the concussion protocol is a bigger concern in my opinion.

We need him badly.

As far as defensive linemen, at this point probably the best place to look is their own PS. If they feel the need for another DT, Still or King would be options 1 and 2 in my book. Given that Geno is very clearly not in game shape yet, bringing one up (probably Still) for the next few weeks at least would not surprise me.

But I think it really hinges on Eifert. The two-TE set was a huge, huge part of Hue's game plan, and with Tyler out that chunk of the playbook is d-e-a-d dead. The only guy I can think of who might be able to step in and provide something in his place would be Charles. Alternatively you switch to a more conventional passing game focused on WRs, in which case maybe you can't wait another 2-3 games for Marvin Jones and need to go get a Jacoby Ford type.

I don't know what they do, but it'll be interesting to watch.

They waited to long on Vickerson who I really think could have helped the d-line, considering they didnt pass rush very well. Not really happy about that Bengals.

might not have been the Bengals waiting too long, may well have been the players agent waiting for a more lucrative offer from the Chiefs to come in - which it has now.

As far as defensive linemen, at this point probably the best place to look is their own PS. If they feel the need for another DT, Still or King would be options 1 and 2 in my book. Given that Geno is very clearly not in game shape yet, bringing one up (probably Still) for the next few weeks at least would not surprise me.

I wonder if Still is mentally set for any game time at the moment considering his family issues

And speaking of Still, the Bengals are getting props from an unlikely source (PFT) for their move to sell his jerseys and donate all the revenues to pediatric cancer research.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/bengals-selling-devon-still-jerseys-for-cancer-research/

I don't really have much of an interest in a Still jersey but might have to scrape up a hundred bucks...

Bengals part ways with Ontario McCalebb and Cobi Hamilton

I'm surprised at McCalebb as he was promoted from PS to be active for the Ravens game and is then shown the door. Does this mean that Lewis-Harris is likely to take his place?

Also I thought the coaching staff were quite sweet on Hamilton - apparently not - even though they may be short of receiving threats if Eifert is done for any length of time.

McCalebb will be re-signed to the taxi squad once he clears waivers. He's the new Rico Murray.

Good thought about CLH tho. He only has one more game suspension to serve. The Bengals could just be planning to go light this week and then sign him to the active roster Monday.

The Bengals really, really screwed up administratively this week, losing Bilikudi and losing out on Vickerson as well

If they are just keeping a seat warm for Chris Lewis Harris, they could have just kept Onterrio on the roster for one more week instead of cutting him

Honestly, I think they are scouring the PS and FA lists for a DT for the open spot.

I dont think King is that guy, and right now, neither is Still (and I dont blame the guy)

Just saw where Still was added to the 53 man roster so guess will see if true.

That's what The Shark says.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/latest-news/2014/9/9/6129085/report-bengals-defensive-tackle-devon-still-signed-to-active-roster-falcons-week-2

That Redeemer, he's alright.

Still won't help one bit. it's great that Bengals put him on PS, but the active squad? get real. He barely helped when he was actually trying to focus on football.

Bengals are a bit screwed right now. Have to hope that the DTs hold up, and that Thompson begins to be more effective. They already overplayed Geno in game 1; expect more of the same.

Even if the DTs stay healthy, Peko's going to get so many snaps that he'll be useless in December again. Also, have to be careful about shifting small guys inside; Gilberry can rush the passer right now, but he'll begin to lose effectiveness as season wears on if he has to pinchhit as a run defending DT

dumb to be in this situation already, in early September, and not even due to a lineman's injury.

dumb to be in this situation already, in early September, and not even due to a lineman's injury.

Agreed. I can't believe Dennard was such a loss of teams that they had to bring up McCalebb.

They might have gotten away with this kind of shuffle five years ago, but not after three straight playoff seasons. Ever notice how players the Patriots waive always seem to get snapped up? There's a perception that if they were signed by NE they must have something. It's starting to get that way in Cincy now. You read a lot of praise for their ability to sign and develop guys, like all these UDFA LBs we have starting.

Bottom line, they just can't assume guys are going to slip by any more. Other teams are watching much more closely.

Still said he was ready, sounds like the bengals gave him the option, and he wants to play. I have no clue how, I know I wouldn't be able to do so. Good luck to Still and maybe/hopefully we will see something out of him we have no yet. Bengals stay true to there word and promoted him when he was ready

McCalebb back on the PS. They also signed Ryan Otten, a TE who spent last season on the Chargers' PS.

TRANSACTION HISTORY: Signed with Jacksonville as undrafted rookie, May 3, 2013...waived Aug. 31...signed to Chargers’ practice squad, Oct. 10...re-signed with Chargers, Feb. 3, 2014.

PRO: Spent 13 weeks, including postseason, on Chargers’ practice squad in 2013.

COLLEGE: Two-time first-team All-WAC selection and team captain as senior...received invitation to 2013 Senior Bowl...15.8 yards per catch average in 2012 was highest in nation by tight end...set school record for tight ends with 12 career touchdown catches...played in 42 career games with 28 starts and caught 126 passes for 1,760 yards....first tight end in school history with multiple 700-yard seasons...twice named Mackey Award National Tight End of Week...redshirted in 2008...played at San Jose State from 2009-12...business management degree.

PERSONAL: Born in Carmichael, California...Sacramento Bee All-Metro first team pick as senior at Del Oro High School in Loomis, Calif....also first-team all-league, team most valuable player and team captain...invited to play in KCRA-TV Holiday Classic All-Star Game in Sacramento...played tight end and outside linebacker...mother, Laurie (Cruse) Otten, was former Sierra College softball player who was inducted into school’s Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

/>http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/Ryan-Otten/40f8743e-77f9-4d2c-a254-edb0d64efd00

Richard Skinner @nkyskinner · 31m

Bengals haven't made it official yet, but it appears as if Tyler Eifert is going on IR Designated for Return. He would be back for N.O. game

Damn. I was afraid of that. Given how Hue wanted to run a heavy two-TE offense this has to hurt.