Free Agency

combatbengal

Good negotiating tactic new members of the Browns front office - announce in advance that you plan to match any offer. That way your competition can either raise their offer in an effort to shock you into not matching, or raise their offer in a gleeful effort to stick it to you. In the alternative, maybe your devotion to the player displays for your competition how much you think of the athlete. Result - they raise their offer.

Reports are out that the Mack offer is 5 years, $42 million, pretty hefty coin for a center.

The deal is set to be for five years, and worth a total of $42 million, with $18 million the first two years. It’s also reported to include a player option after the 2015 season which would prevent his team from tagging him.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/alex-mack-five-year-deal-will-be-worth-42-million/

Bengals sign Sam Montgomery. Interesting, guy has potential if he can scale back on the ganja.

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Bengals-sign-Sam-Montgomery.html

Here's his draft write up from last year.

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/sam-montgomery?id=2540149

The Redeemer rides again. This also looks like a Marvin special, ala, Pacman, and Burfict. You fell on your face elsewhere, now you are on your last chance with no possibility for slack or indulgence. One wrong move, and Whack.

One thought - we no longer have Zimmer, and he really played a role of surrogate father for some of these less mature guys. I'm pessimistic and hoping something has really changed in this kid's life, because the Texans cut him with extreme prejudice. The speed with which they did it sent an unmistakable message - something is wrong with this kid.

I can't help but think that with this gigantic deal for a Center and the amount they are paying Baby Hawk that the Browns may very soon find themselves in cap hell ala the Steelers and Cowboys.

Yep, I just passed a Pilot Truck Stop and diesel was $143.87 a gallon.

Agreed on the cap hell. They must be paying Thomas some huge amount as well. They've got some big contracts out there. Also, why rush to match when you can wait 5 days? Let's say the Browns match, Mack signs immediately, then two days later gets mangled in a car wreck and can't play anymore. They'll at least be on the hook for the signing bonus, and probably for all the guaranteed money. Just wait the 5 days, it's simple and obvious risk management.

Well I think top tier 2 center worth 40million but same time hard when you still gotta Pay Tackles,Guards and rest of your team...

Main reason I feel this was mistake was one because of all their other moves and 42 million is alot for a guy who doesn't want to play for you.

does this mean Orson Charles will have his number called more often ?

Yeah, by his attorney to determine how to handle him brandishing a weapon in his road rage incident.

I thought someone had said that was an Aprils Fools joke report ...???