Camp Begins

HoosierCat

Amazingly good injury luck as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still dreading the first preseason game. Remember the first quarter last season? Nightmarish...

Exactly. If Dunlap sits out the first preseason game then that means he won't come out of it like he did a yr ago and that's a good thing

As mentioned in the Dunlap extension thread, he's out for a while with a concussion, probably will miss the first preseason game

And now DT Brandon Thompson is out for a few weeks as well

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/7/31/4575288/brandon-thompson-will-miss-a-few-weeks-with-a-sprained-knee/in/4321331

Add that the Green's knee......injuries already mounting.......and its waaaaaay early

What's new with Dunlap...always something, doesn't take care of his body, poor work ethic in the off-season, and why he dropped in the draft.

I did not like extending him at this point...should've waited to see if he can survive another season and worst case scenario is he just gets hurt every other game again and his cap figure is much lower.

Not to be taken as over-reaction, but this is the exact type of thing the last 2 seasons that has turned into 1 week...2 weeks...3 weeks....with him. And it wasn't like he was a world-beater down the stretch last season.

Any ways, I'm just high on guys who take care of themselves and are on an upward trajectory for a period of time...i.e. Michael Johnson and Geno...no reason not to pass on Dunlap and sign those two as a priority, then franchise Dunlap next season if you have to, or just let him walk if he can't stay healthy because his body is quickly declining with age as he doesn't know where the weight room is. (notice Johnson is a physical freak as a result of his workout ethic and Geno is the strongest guy on the team and under 6ft).

Waiting for Atkins to become the premiere RFA DT in the NFL after this season is playing with fire IMO.

Sign the good, hard-working dependable guys, even if it means letting go of a high-ceiling head case or two along the way. You can find more of them every year in the draft for cheap.

</end mini-rant>

Oh good lord. What kind of shape should he have been in to avoid a mild concussion? What kind of extra work does that?

What a ridiculous take.

I award that negative four points.

And I reward your response a negative 6 points. It'll be a "bruised knee" next. They should've gotten another year out of him at his current rate, and signed another more reliable/productive player.

Dunlap was charged with a DUI and was suspended for the all-important SEC Championship Game. Then, at the Combine, his workout numbers were average and he wasn't great in the interview process, which definitely raised some red flags. Plus, his legs looked awfully skinny and he didn't move overly well, which means he's not a 3-4 outside linebacker in most schemes and may need a pass rushing 4-3 role only.
(espn)

...is too comfortable coasting and going through the motions. Lacks focus, and character is a big question
(espn post-draft)

"I watched six of his games on tape and, in my opinion, he has a substantially below-average motor. And if you're taking plays off with your college team, you're going to get dinged pretty badly by the NFL."
(Scouts Inc)

PS - Sorry for not putting this in the Dunlap thread (forgot about it).

As mentioned in the Dunlap extension thread, he's out for a while with a concussion, probably will miss the first preseason game

And now DT Brandon Thompson is out for a few weeks as well

http://www.cincyjung...knee/in/4321331

Add that the Green's knee......injuries already mounting.......and its waaaaaay early

What's new with Dunlap...always something, doesn't take care of his body, poor work ethic in the off-season...

I don't suppose you have any evidence of this other than injuries?

We have no evidence of anything other than a solid pro since he's joined this team. His injuries are unfortunate, and you can question the Bengals for spending big money on an injury prone player, but to bring his character into it at this point is laughable.

• Like 1

We have no evidence of anything other than a solid pro since he's joined this team. His injuries are unfortunate, and you can question the Bengals for spending big money on an injury prone player, but to bring his character into it at this point is laughable.

I dunno. You may recall last year that Dunlap was listed second on the depth chart behind Geathers for half the season, a move widely seen as an attempt by coaches to light a fire under him. So far this season he's saying all the right things, and I think blaming him for his concussion is silly, but he has been injury prone and he has had motivation issues. Hopefully those are things that are behind him now. I certainly hope so.

I dunno. You may recall last year that Dunlap was listed second on the depth chart behind Geathers for half the season, a move widely seen as an attempt by coaches to light a fire under him. So far this season he's saying all the right things, and I think blaming him for his concussion is silly, but he has been injury prone and he has had motivation issues. Hopefully those are things that are behind him now. I certainly hope so.

Widely seen as...a.k.a. nobody really knows.

Other speculation was that they wanted to limit his snaps to keep him healthy and more effective.

Who knows. But, I do recall Zimmer praising his ethic and motor on several occasions saying that his college scouting report was misleading. But, what does he know. *shrug*

• Like 1

Looks like Hawk's ankle may be worse than hoped. Still nothing definite though.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Lewis-mum-on-Hawkins-Iloka-gets-nod-at-safety-Special-day-BJGE-crowns-rule/c7c83321-04a2-4455-83dc-148cfbe91f24

Nice write up indeed.

Instead of bumping the other thread, I will just post it here since it's camp related and part of this article.

Just thought I would highlight something many seem to almost not want to see out of the guy.

There was a lot of talk about right tackle Andre Smith this summer and how he wasn't a part of the team's offseason work. But Smith has come to camp and has done a nice job, according to Lewis. Smith has his weight in check and he's doing a better job of bending his legs when making his blocks. Smith did have a slight calf injury that led to his opening on the PUP list, but he's fine now and has actually taken on more of a leadership role. Smith is coming off his best season and was one of the NFL's best right tackles in 2012. The Bengals re-signed him on the eve of the NFL draft. With second-year player Kevin Zeitler at right guard, the Bengals have a tough, physical right side.

Just be happy people, just be happy.