Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

Yea really what have they really done to prove they are still not a one and done team in the playoffs? I just don't understand what this team does, it's about getting over the hump, not standing still.

Now sign Rhodes, Dansby, and Andre and ill fell much better!

Since they only ever sign FAs on their terms, they rarely sign FAs.

This is poetry.

Pats offer to Sanders is 1 year, $2.5 million.

Pitt has $1.3 million tender on Sanders already and $1.9 million more in cap space, so they could do it but it would chew up virtually everything left.

(Memo for Cincy FO: please note that the organization you constantly say you want to be is not worried about reserving $$$ for rookies or an injury cushion...)

What organization has the Bengals FO-whatever that means-said they want to be? Sounds like a weak sreawman argument.

Yea really what have they really done to prove they are still not a one and done team in the playoffs? I just don't understand what this team does, it's about getting over the hump, not standing still.

Now sign Rhodes, Dansby, and Andre and ill fell much better!

You do know that the Bengals will never build around free agents, much less sign "names" to satisfy message board dilletantes.

This is truly a case of a philosophy revolving around being "competitive enough to sell tickets," while an egotistic coach just happy to be in a cushy job thinks he can work miracles with cast-off players and head cases in the draft with high ceilings, due to the circumstances.

I mean really, you sign virtually no one of any real value, let the most talented FA from your roster leave, and have arguably the most cap space in the league? Why do people buy season tickets for this garbage again?

And who worries about re-signing Dalton in a year or two? The guy is Mark Sanchez incarnate.

You can't help yourself, can you? I really am starting to feel a bit sorry for you. But just a bit. Mainly, I think you are this board's equivalent of a flesh-eating virus.

I won't go all in with Dalton, but i'm also not ready to cast him aside.

He has limitations for sure, but I think the team is trying to make up for it with what they put around him

Getting Sanu back and a shiny new speed back will be a thing of beauty.

Where there are areas that Dalton's game could be improved I believe he is good enough to go all the way. Hell Joe Flake-o has just won a ring and I don't think he's better than Dalton by any stretch. As Army has alluded to, we're building a team here and Dalton is just part of that team - not the be-all and end-all of it.

You know I just don't get all the Andy Dalton hate, not just on this board but in the national media too. What you want out of a second year guy is improvement and in 2012 he improved on every significant category over a year he led this team to a playoff and a Pro Bowl appearance. Every indication is that he works hard is a very good leader and studies well in the offseason, another year and I expect him to grow once again which puts him in the 4000 yard 30 TD club....

And who worries about re-signing Dalton in a year or two? The guy is Mark Sanchez incarnate.

Both of Dalton's seasons thus far have been statistically superior to any season Mark Sanchez has produced. You're letting the two playoff games completely define your perception of the player.

Dalton's career worst completion percentage / Sanchez's: 58.1% / 53.8%

Best: 62.3% / 56.7%

Dalton's worst comp % is higher than Sanchez's best.

Worst QB rating, Dalton/Sanchez: 80.4 / 63.0

Best: 87.4 / 78.2

Dalton's worst quarterback rating is higher than Sanchez's best.

Worst TD-INT ratio: 20-13 / 12-20

Best: 27-16 / 26-18 (only season with 20 TDs)

Dalton's worst (+7) is basically the same as Sanchez's best (+8).

Worst yards throwing: 3,398 / 2,444

Best: 3,669 / 3,474

Dalton's worst is only 76 yards short of Sanchez's best.

What organization has the Bengals FO-whatever that means-said they want to be? Sounds like a weak sreawman argument.

If you paid more attention, you wouldn't come off looking like such an idiot on here and other board (like go-bengals.com) all the time, BR

The Bengals have at various times through various channels and persons declared they want to operate like the Steelers

Am I going to provide you with a link? No, go spend some time with Mr Google and educate yourself, particularly before you spew raw verbal sewage again, like you did above.

You do know that the Bengals will never build around free agents, much less sign "names" to satisfy message board dilletantes.

Better a dilettante (thats one l, 2 t's - if you're going to puff yourself up and such with ten dollar words, at least spell them right, 'kay?) than an utter moron, which is the profile you are gradually building for yourself here.

We're all well aware that the Bengals don't make their decisions based on what is written here. But we can wish, and we can certainly express our opinion, which IS what message forums are all about.......but maybe you didn't know that?

I really am starting to feel a bit sorry for you. But just a bit. Mainly, I think you are this board's equivalent of a flesh-eating virus.

That'd be a flesh-eating bacterium, or bacteria if you want to go plural.

If there is anyone to pity around here, it is you. You are a sad, pathetic little fool

Give Sanchez AJ Green and those numbers might be reversed.

Didn't Sanchez have one of the best o-lines in football at one point ??

Haven't they always had a better than average running game ??

Not trying to be funny, seriously asking anyone willing to answer.

I could certainly be wrong, just quick thinking and no time to research.

I have a pile of topsoil in the side yard calling my name...

Give Sanchez AJ Green and those numbers might be reversed.

Didn't Sanchez have one of the best o-lines in football at one point ??

Haven't they always had a better than average running game ??

Not trying to be funny, seriously asking anyone willing to answer.

I could certainly be wrong, just quick thinking and no time to research.

I have a pile of topsoil in the side yard calling my name...

Ya Jet's had one top Olines at one point with Mangold & D'brick

So has there been any news on Andre with any team or is he lookin to wait for the draft and hope the teams that need oline aren't gonna draft any.

Good question. Is there a deadline or end date for re-signing him?

Nothing official, though like Army says at some point you have to expect the Bengals to go in a different direction. They can't wait forever.

There is a deadline for MJ to reach a long-term deal, I believe it's July 15. If he doesn't get one by then he has to play this year under the franchise tag. And the Bengals at least say they want to get Dunlap and Atkins locked up as well. I have to think that figures heavily into how long they will wait for Moobs.

(Of course, were I a cynical bastige, I just might think all of this is so much bovine excrement and that the team has no real intention of paying any of these guys big bucks, and that by about this time next year we'll be down not just Moobs but MJ and Dunlap, and only holding on to Atkins via the tag. Fortunately I'm not that cynical bastige. Yet. Time will tell.)

Lapham intimated that Big Dre wants LT money (see A. Whitworth) and/or is unhappy with playing RT.

I'd hate to see him walk or hold out but I don't think they should overpay considering the risk involved.

I get that. At the same time, though, there are ways to manage that risk through incentives. And the prospect of letting Andre go and then having to spend another top pick on a tackle (and no, I'm still not buying the Collins talk) is intensely frustrating, at least to me.

That said, it's difficult to discuss the Smith situation because we've got no idea what is really going on. Not that that's ever stopped us before, of course. :)

FWIW in a tweet yesterday Reedy suggested that the effective deadline for Moobs was the draft:

Greg Luther ‏@greger09 18h

@joereedy so you dont think that either Dansby or Harrison could sign before the draft? could the same also be for Andre Smith?

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 18h

@greger09 That's what I said Greg and Andre has eight days left

And just a bit ago, responding to another question, he called a one-year deal between the Bengals and Smith "only a last resort."

(Of course, were I a cynical bastige, I just might think all of this is so much bovine excrement and that the team has no real intention of paying any of these guys big bucks,

I really don't understand the view that the Bengals only pay peanuts and don't want to pay anybody the going rate, let alone over pay them. Didn't they stump up a huge bonus for Kitna when they had no need to when he just missed out on a fraction of a percentage to trigger the payment clause?

Whilst I don't agree with overpaying someone like Harrison for example who would see limited snaps and has a fast approaching expiration date, I don't think generally the Bengals only offer low $$ contracts.

I really don't understand the view that the Bengals only pay peanuts and don't want to pay anybody the going rate, let alone over pay them.

Well, it's probably a reflection of the fact that, historically speaking, the Bengals have sought to pay only peanuts and obsessed about "overpaying" and not "negotiating with themselves." Yes, there are exceptions. Palmer's $100 million megadeal springs quickly to mind. But they have come by their rep for frugality and thriftiness honestly.

The cynical bastige in me is mostly fueled by the sight of all those cheap young rookies and how lovely their tiny checks must look to the FO. There has to be a temptation to try to just cycle guys through every 3-5 years, to try and replace talent with talent and never (or only rarely) have to give out a big payday. And to be clear, I don't think Cincinnati's is the only FO in the league that is thinking that way. Look at the FA market. There is still a lot of decent vet talent out there, b ut no one is in a rush to sign. Vets cost money, you know. Rookies, well, they're screwed.

On one hand I know the Bengals have all intentions of holding onto their key players or at least that is what's been said to this point.

On the other hand, I wouldn't for one minute, think just the opposite happens and they lose guys like Atkins or Green.

I mean would it really suprise anyone here ?? Be honest...