Bengals @ Redskins Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravens got lucky.

How is it that the Ravens have 3 of their first 4 games at home all be primetime games? Talk about an advantage to start the season...

True, but it's also not out of the rhelm of possibility the Ravens could be 0-3 right now.

The Bengals defense actually picks off a couple of the handful of Flacco throws that hit them in the hands.

The Patriots not put themselves in a situation where replacement refs have an impact in a game they were winning.

It's not taking ANYTHING away from the Ravens, but it points more to how this is how the NFL seems to work.

Almost any teams record can swing one way or another on simple things throughout a game.

Agree it's a nice advantage for them to have though.

Without going back through 30 pages of chat, is anyone else at the stage where when they hear the name Maualuga they begin to throw up ?? Inability to shed blocks, inability to read plays, inability to run down a play, inability to tackle. Well, in fairness you can say he tackles the sh*t out of guys already on the ground.

Hey Rey, it's easier to play when you aren't on your back.

I paid particular attention to Rey during yesterdays game. Bottom line is he's slow. We're talking worse than white guy slow. By time he makes his move the play is already past him and heading downfield. Personally I think he's a huge liability even having him on the field.

Rey is on the cover of my official 2012 Cincinnati Bengals Calendar (get one every year for Christmas). When I look at the calendar, time seems to slow down, that's how slow Rey is.

Look this over and tell me if I'm reading this correctly.

Digest of Rules Main

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)

A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.

Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.

/>http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal

It seems to me that the bolded part would apply to what happened in the game with 1:07 left when a Redskin player was injured. So it seems to me that the ref should have run off 10 seconds. Anybody read it differently?

All in all, a win is a win and I am glad to have it. This game should have been a blow out though. They couldnt block Atkins, Dunlap, and Johnson, and couldnt cover Green, Hawkins, and Gresham. We dominated this game but stupid mistakes, bad officiating(wtf was with the 4th timeout to avoid the runoff the refs called), and just being outcoached kept the Redskins alive.

Has that 4th timout been addressed? The ref announced the 10s runoff and then let the game resume without the clock being changed. He never made another announcement that he'd changed his call nor did I see Marvin throwing a fit, so what exactly happened there? Did the ref just not know the rules? Even with a 10s runoff the Redskins were getting a break as they could not have run another play that quickly

The Bengals won this game even though they:

-threw a pick 6 on the road

-lost the turnover battle

-couldn't run the ball

Forget the mantra that you can't be good in the NFL if you can't run the ball. It's a luxury to be able to run the ball. There have been a lot of good teams recently that don't run. The recent championships from NE, Pitt and GB all came from teams with very little running game.

There was no runoff because the clock was already stopped, therefore no penalty time runoff.

There was no runoff because the clock was already stopped, therefore no penalty time runoff.

No, you must be thinking of another play. I'm talking about the play with 1:07 left to go in the game. RG3 completed a pass in the right flat. The tackle was made in bounds and the clock didn't stop until the officials noted that a Redskin player wasn't getting up.

No, you must be thinking of another play. I'm talking about the play with 1:07 left to go in the game. RG3 completed a pass in the right flat. The tackle was made in bounds and the clock didn't stop until the officials noted that a Redskin player wasn't getting up.

Yes, I was watching that and recalled the same thing.

They completed the pass, the player didn't get out of bounds and was hurt.

The Redskins didn't have any timeouts remaining and the refs even stated correctly that due to them not having any TO's there would be a 10 second runoff and the clock should be reset to :57 seconds. That never happened. I was wondering about that as well.

Well, looking at the play-by-play for the final series on both nfl.com and cbssports.com (espn doesn't include times), it appears that there has been something of a "retroactive runoff" made in the official record. During the game, the clock stopped at 1:07. The ref called for the ten-second runoff to 0:57, which never happened. However, according to the play-by-play, the next snap went off at 1:02. Which of course it didn't, we all sat there and watch the clock stopped at 1:07 until the snapped the ball. I have no idea what that's all about. :huh:

The NFL today officially commented saying that there should have been a 10 second run off that was not enforced. And that the officials were wrong. They did start the clock up once everyone was set and that is why it showed 1:02 at the snap, but that should have happened as well. In the end, replacement refs just blew it. It happens we still won, we move on.

I guess I should have stated that the official stated the above, after alot of confusion. It was on the radio broadcast.

I guess I should have stated that the official stated the above, after alot of confusion. It was on the radio broadcast.

The official stated what? The only thing I heard him say was that there would be a ten second runoff. Did you hear him say something else?

The official stated what? The only thing I heard him say was that there would be a ten second runoff. Did you hear him say something else?

The mic wasnt working well, but the official did go back and award washington a time out preventing the run off.