Do We Need a Vet WR or Not ??

ArmyBengal

I bring this up for a few reasons.

1. Sh*t is dead around here.

2. It's still a thought.

3. The Bengals were mentioned.

So James Jones, WR, for the Packers finds himself in a situation where he's thinking about what he might be able to do elsewhere since the Packers seem to be overloaded at the WR position. I think he should have been aware of that when he signed an extension, but that's neither here nor there at this moment in time.

He actually mentions being told about going to the Cincinnati Bengals. Why the Bengals ?? Maybe because many still view us as having a need for that #2 WR. I'm not saying I am for them looking at a trade because I honestly think they stand pat and won't be wanting to give up picks. That being said, nothing would surprise me.

Here's the link and blurb. Any thoughts ?? Please, give some thoughts. Things being dead here sucks !!!
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/21/james-jones-is-finding-the-packers-depth-chart-pretty-crowded/#comments

“I don’t know how good my trade value is,” Jones said. “I haven’t heard anything about trades or anything like that. I’m just here to play football. Whatever happens, happens. I don’t worry about all that stuff up top. If they came to me at my locker and said, ‘James, you’re going to the Cincinnati Bengals,’ I’d cry a little bit and then move on. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. It’s a business.”

Jones isn’t asking for a trade and makes it clear that he’s willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win another Super Bowl. It’s only human to think about what things might be like somewhere else, though. His choice of the Bengals shows that when he thinks about those things, he’s grounding it in real life. The Bengals are looking for a receiver to play opposite A.J. Green and Jones could fill that role if the Packers decide not to keep the receiving corps intact this summer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Billy, but i'm just trying to keep some perspective regardless of my thought process.

Maybe the Bengals have just been hyping their players up to get them to perform, but if the situation presented itself, they would make a move. Maybe if they got a pretty good deal to add a player, they would jump at it, knowing they have two second round picks next season.

My thought is if they can get a better player than they already have, at a reasonable deal, would they pull the trigger ?? I think it's still very early, but with the thought of Shipley not being looked at for the #2 WR spot, Sanu more in the middle and the #2 coming down to Tate or Binns, would Jones present a better option ??

Overall, I still think no, due to not wanting to give up picks, not wanting to pay him, and needing to get other guys signed.

I'm just trying to give it some thought...

Howdy boys, and happy belated Father's Day!

I think they would benefit form a vet WR. I am not sure who is currently still worth pursuing but there is a core of young talent that could gain from a true savvy veteran to give them perspective.

Names that jump out at me include Reggie Wayne or <gasp> Plaxico Burress.... <voice trails off>

Three names jump to mind:

Laveranues Coles, Antonio Bryant, and Terrell Owens. So no, I don't want a vet free agent coming in here.

You left off Michael Westbrook, Cliff Russell, and ...good lord there have been some bad free agent WR's coming through here.

Well, we are speaking of James Jones specifically and since he wasn't a FA out there to be had, the thought intrigues me.

With the competition between Tate and Binns, I would think Jones is certainly an upgrade.

He's not a diva and he doesn't have injury concerns. He's also a fit in the West Coast Offense.

Again, I still don't think it happens, but you can never stop trying to upgrade your roster.

Let me approach this another way...

AT THIS TIME, Sanu is being looked at more working the slot, Marvin Jones hasn't been much of any conversation in regards to the #2 WR spot and lets not forget there was NO ONE here that wanted to see either Binns or Tate in that #2 spot after the season came to an end.

Now here's a guy who's clearly better than either of the two WR's we have on the roster, isn't a diva, isn't injury prone, but no one wants him over two guys no one had any faith in a month ago ??

I'm just trying to keep an open mind regardless of actually thinking it will happen.

...lets not forget there was NO ONE here that wanted to see either Binns or Tate in that #2 spot after the season came to an end.

Not true. I've been high on Binns since he was at UC. I was beyond shocked that everyone was so hyped over Gilyard and Binns went virtually unnoticed.

I feel like Binns' body and receiving style is perfect as a #2, and if the coaches feel comfortable with him, then I'm excited for it...

I am at least intrigued by Binns because he is a complete mystery. He could play as well as his hype suggests or he could flame out entirely (or somewhere in between). There isn't much evidence to suggest either possibility. Brandon Tate has been a moderately productive receiver before, but that was with Tom Brady and he wasn't a #2. I really don't want to see him start, but I'll have faith in whatever Marvin/Gruden/Urban decide.

Jermaine Gresham is the #2.

As for who will line up at the #2 WR spot on the field - I'm guessing it will be by committee. The Bengals have a slew of guys who have different skill sets for a particular situation.

Tate and Jones are deep threats. Sanu and Bins are possession WRs. And even Shipley and Hawkins can line up as a #2 to create match-up issues.

The point is, the Bengals won't likely adhere to any set-in-stone depth chart. There won't be a true #2 WR that will be the starter until he gets beat out or injured. Multiple guys will get playing time at that spot depending on the situation and playcall that Gruden puts in there.

...lets not forget there was NO ONE here that wanted to see either Binns or Tate in that #2 spot after the season came to an end.

Not true. I've been high on Binns since he was at UC. I was beyond shocked that everyone was so hyped over Gilyard and Binns went virtually unnoticed.

I feel like Binns' body and receiving style is perfect as a #2, and if the coaches feel comfortable with him, then I'm excited for it...

Being high on Binns and thinking he was capable of taking the #2 WR spot this season are two different things.

For what it's worth, I was also always big on Binns and even called for the Bengals to draft him when he was available late. I think he's a capable WR, but won't say my being big on him thought he was going to win the #2 spot.

If you did Skyline, then I digress and say lets not forget there was only ONE person here that wanted to see either Binns or Tate in that #2 spot after the season came to an end. Either way, it was nowhere near being a majority thought around the board.

With that thought in mind I simply find it odd that without a camp or the preseason, people have now changed their thoughts to such a degree that a player that is proven in the West Coast isn't viewed as an upgrade to the players discussed.

• 2 weeks later...

TO played well for us but didn't give it 100%. He wouldn't block, wouldn’t try to tackle on int's, etc. Simpson dropped too many balls and I'm glad he's gone. I cringed when the ball was thrown to him. I liked Caldwell but he wasn’t much of a treat to other teams.

I like what Green has brought to the team! I look forward to Shipley returning to the field! I like Hawkins; he performed well for us when we used him! I heard that Sanu is looking good. So I’m happy with what we have!

Now if a Wes Welker or Calvin Johnson were available, I’d say move on it!

Oh Burress is available, NOT!!

TJ Houshmandzedeh hasn’t signed with anybody yet. Aw, his career is over!

Mike Wallace hasn’t signed with the Steelers yet!! We’d never get him!

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesjones/2507183/profile

It's gotta be worth a consideration and weighing up the overall package - he's productive, he's got some longevity being only 28, he has NFL experience and is a proven deep threat.

Now it depends on who would drop off the roster if he came in, how much $alary he'd demand, would there be draft picks to be given up etc etc - the management would have to overview the whole situation to ascertain whether or not it'd be a worthwhile move.

I'm not sure there's a "need" on the team for Jones, but if the "opportunity" is there to add him to the squad do you pass it up ????

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesjones/2507183/profile

It's gotta be worth a consideration and weighing up the overall package - he's productive, he's got some longevity being only 28, he has NFL experience and is a proven deep threat.

Now it depends on who would drop off the roster if he came in, how much $alary he'd demand, would there be draft picks to be given up etc etc - the management would have to overview the whole situation to ascertain whether or not it'd be a worthwhile move.

I'm not sure there's a "need" on the team for Jones, but if the "opportunity" is there to add him to the squad do you pass it up ????

This is where I was going with this when I originally posted it.

While I don't think it will happen, when you have the opportunity to improve your roster, it should at least be a consideration.

I made the comment about how many people weren't anywhere near close to being comfortable with either Tate or Binns, but now they would rather go in that direction. I honestly think Jones is no longer in the thought process, but if he were, I wouldn't be opposed if the price was right.

I can't wait to see how things shake out with the WR corps once the pads come on and we get into the preseason !!!

Personally, i'm rooting for Sanu...

This is what the WR scrum consists of at this point in time:

Armon Binns

AJ Green

Andrew Hawkins

Vidal Hazelton

Justin Hilton

Marvin Jones

Kashif Moore

Taveon Rogers

Mohamed Sanu

Jordan Shipley

Brandon Tate

Ryan Whalen

These are the guys competing for what should be 6 spots.

In my mind you can look to either cut or PS: Hazelton, Hilton, Moore, and Rogers

That leaves 8 guys and you know Green is a lock, leaving 7 for 5 spots.

So who out of Binns, Hawkins, Jones, Sanu, Shipley, Tate, and Whalen earn those spots ??

Lets also not forget the #6 WR will be inactive on game days...

Sanu and Shipley are the next closest things to locks in my opinion and I don't think Shipley gets PUP'd.

I'm also of the mindset that doesn't think Jones makes it past waivers to the practice squad and he sticks.

That leaves 4 for 2 spots.

The way I see it at this point (prior to camps and preseason) is:

Green

Sanu

Shipley

Tate

Hawkins

Jones (Inactive)

If they view Sanu as more of a slot guy, Hawkins is gone, Jones is the #5, and Binns is the inactive #6.

That being said, there is a long way from now to final cuts and many things can change.

Among those is seeing if there happens to be a vet WR the coaches feel improves their roster.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article re: Green's chances of being the top career receiver in his class.

/>http://www.footballperspective.com/random-perspective-on-the-2012-cincinnati-bengals/

My take: far too many variables (injury, QB, OC, work ethic, etc.) to be truly predictive but it does highlight the difficulty of staying at the top in the NFL.