Colts @ Bengals Pre & Game Thread

HoosierCat

Looking at the early lines today it looks like the Bengals have been installed as 6-point favorites (though I've seen it as high as 8!) While I think they can win that strikes me as a lot of points to lay for a team that's need three fourth-quarter comebacks to get its three wins. Sounds like Vegas is looking to capitalize on the spurt of positive press on the team.

My feeling is that this game is going to be a dogfight. The Colts will be desperate for a win and the Bengals' schedule is too tough in the second half to drop a game like this.

Here's the view from Indy:

/>http://www.indystar.com/article/20111010/SPORTS15/110100341

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more concerned if the game were in Indy. Rookie quarterback in a dome with a notoriously loud crowd (real or technologic) would give me some concern.

Not saying the Colts should be overlooked. They are desperate. Painter isn't even that horrible. I can't even say I'd pick the Bengals at six until the offense shows 60 minutes of consistency. But I think a Colts win is less likely than it would be in Indy.

My biggest concern is with the defense giving up big pass plays. Wayne and Garcon are dangerous, and Painter looks like he knows what he's doing. Hopefully our defense will prove that their #1 ranking is legit, and our offense will show up ready to play.

Well the defense can be stuck with two option when playing the Colts. They can go back to the type of defense they used against Manning when they covered all the deep routes and forced Manning to dink and dunk the ball all the way down field. Which basically take away the threat of the big play. The other option is to just play their base defense and make Painter beat them with his arm, and try to play mistake free football.

Personally I would go with the latter. If this defense can hold Fitzpatrick and McCoy in check I think they can do the same with Painter.

My biggest concern is with the defense giving up big pass plays. Wayne and Garcon are dangerous, and Painter looks like he knows what he's doing. Hopefully our defense will prove that their #1 ranking is legit, and our offense will show up ready to play.

The Bengals have given up 4 passes of 40+ yards. There are only 5 teams in the NFL who have given up more than 4. But somehow they don't feel all that susceptible to the big play.

The Massaquoi play was a busted coverage on a broken play.

The Decker play resulted from Crocker tackling Clements.

The Hill play yesterday was a miscommunication between Hall and Nelson.

Only the Stevie Johnson play was a legitimately good play where the Bengals just got beat.

And yet... despite those huge mistakes, the Bengals defense remains #3 in passing yards (only 17 yards/game out of 1st place), and #5 in passing yards/attempt.

In other words, if the Bengals continue to clean up the mistakes... they are even better than their #1 overall ranking. So Wayne and Garcon don't scare me much.

I've got a friend from Minnesota. His parents know Ben Utecht's parents, and they said Ben is showing signs of dementia. He's the guy we got from Indy who's head got blasted in practice last pre-season by Roy Williams. Sad.

Well, on the bright side it doesn't appear to have interfered with the release of his latest album or his holiday tour schedule.

I've got a friend from Minnesota. His parents know Ben Utecht's parents, and they said Ben is showing signs of dementia. He's the guy we got from Indy who's head got blasted in practice last pre-season by Roy Williams. Sad.

Well, on the bright side it doesn't appear to have interfered with the release of his latest album or his holiday tour schedule.

Hoosier, the link you provided shows a picture of Ben wearing a polka dot tie, a striped shirt, and a red sweater vest. Dementia.

I hate when the Bengals are favorites......It usually means a Loss......Here's hoping the line changes before Sunday!

This is so true, but this is what this team needs to change.

I was happy they put 2 wins toghter, and it seems really hard for this team to do that, alot of mistakes in sundays game really hurt this team. If they can put another win this sunday, then maybe this will be really big for there confidence.

How about tackling this week, for some reason they could not tackle in sundays game it was horrilbe. They could have had 3 more sacks and they just flat out missed the tackle on the QB. So make sure you tackle this week!

Run the ball, Marvin was pissed about how they couldnt run the ball, so i hope this week they get back to pounding the ball. I bet the o-line and TE are not happy with themselves at all, so hope that puts alittle hunger this week to run the ball.

How about tackling this week, for some reason they could not tackle in sundays game it was horrilbe. They could have had 3 more sacks and they just flat out missed the tackle on the QB. So make sure you tackle this week!

He's looking at you, Carlos Dunlap.

It's a bit troubling how often last week I bumped into articles and threads that all noticed how Dunlap still doesn't have a sack....only to see him repeatedly miss sack opportunities against Gabbert.

No tryouts for the Bengals this week but PFT reports some former Bengals got a look including Toraj:

Jaguars: punters Josh Bidwell, Nick Harris, Jeremy Kapinos, and Spencer Lanning. (Harris was signed.)

Giants: defensive back Chinedum Ndukwe and guard Jason Shirley.

Eagles: defensive back Tom Nelson.

49ers: receivers Chris Chambers, Brian Finneran, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Brett Swain. (Swain was signed.)

So the Bengals in a round about way got Nick Harris another job. He should send them a Christmas card or something. I didn't know Chris Chambers was out there, I wonder if he has anything left? The Bengals will need someone soon.

No tryouts for the Bengals this week but PFT reports some former Bengals got a look including Toraj:

Jaguars: punters Josh Bidwell, Nick Harris, Jeremy Kapinos, and Spencer Lanning. (Harris was signed.)

Giants: defensive back Chinedum Ndukwe and guard Jason Shirley.

Eagles: defensive back Tom Nelson.

49ers: receivers Chris Chambers, Brian Finneran, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Brett Swain. (Swain was signed.)

So the Bengals in a round about way got Nick Harris another job. He should send them a Christmas card or something. I didn't know Chris Chambers was out there, I wonder if he has anything left? The Bengals will need someone soon.

Finneran or TJ might be able to man the slot, Chambers the outside. What is needed most when Simpson leaves? Caldwell seems to be a better outside option than a slot man. Baby Toast seems to be able to handle the slot OK and there is always Whalen. We may not see any WR's come in after Simpson goes of to do his time.

Boy this message board is a lot more fun when the Bengals lose. :lmao:

Hurry someone say something controversial.

The "Uso Defense" nickname sounds lame. Not quite as lame as "Red Rifle" or the attempts I've seen to stick A.J. Green with "Optimus," "Prime," or both, but still lame.

The "Uso Defense" nickname sounds lame. Not quite as lame as "Red Rifle" or the attempts I've seen to stick A.J. Green with "Optimus," "Prime," or both, but still lame.

Not as lame as AJ 'Yellow and blue make' Green.

The defense needs a simple name like the Orange and Black Attack.

I still think the name of the offense should be the Dalton Gang. Call AJ the Green Machine.

The "Uso Defense" nickname sounds lame.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the island flavored Uso thing. Probably because I still consider myself to be the son of a farmer/steel worker who was raised using traditional hinterland trappings. (Lunch box, hard hat, high school diploma, etc.)

I have to admit I liked the "Brotherhood" tag much better even though it sounds a bit like a bad movie starring Cuba Gooding Jr. or Montel Williams.