Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

It might all come down to the fact that Mike Brown might think the value of Palmer NOT making an impact in the NFL is worth more than what he would get in exchange for him in trade.

Yep. And it makes sense.

What is Palmer’s actual trade value? Given the fact that the team who trades for him is also signing up for an $11.5 million contract, I’m betting the return the Bengals would receive would be, as Hair puts it, “peanuts.”

Very few teams have that kind of cap space available, and even fewer would want to use it all up on a QB like Palmer. He’s on the wrong side of 30, lacks leadership abilities, and hasn’t performed well on the field in over 3 years.

If Mike Brown would trade Palmer for current market value, I’d bet he would be destroyed by the national media for accepting a low-ball offer. If Palmer went on to have any success whatsoever, Brown is a guy who got the short end of the stick on the trade, and is further lambasted by fans.

Frankly, the sentiment that Brown is hurting the team by refusing to trade Palmer is laughable. The damage to this team was done entirely by Palmer… and the compensation the Bengals could get in return for him is likely to be so small it would go largely unnoticed as a means for repairing the damage that has already been inflicted.

And if that’s the best you can get in return, well… F*ck Carson Palmer.

Damage? Don't know about that...I'm not sure I can remember the last time Palmer strung together two consecutive games that have been as sound as the Red-Headed Stranger's first two games. But yeah, my thoughts on this exactly.

The following nugget was found in Mike Freeman's Ten-Point Stance article on CBSSports.com

"This makes me sad for Carson Palmer. Or maybe it shouldn't. Maybe the guy's happy with his life. But I can tell you there are players around the league ripping Palmer as a chump who was afraid to take on the challenge of sticking with the Bengals and making them good again. Some players are calling him the word that is slang for a cat. They also feel he's getting a pass from the media."

Palmer a p***y? Well, maybe so, but the Bengals are doing a bang-up job this week reminding people exactly what he walked away from: Pacman had his latest court date scheduled, Ced got hit with a 3-game suspension and Simpson Cheech was busted with 8.5 lbs. of pot. If things keep going this way, Palmer will looking like a flipping genius for quitting by season's end.

Palmer a p***y? Well, maybe so, but the Bengals are doing a bang-up job this week reminding people exactly what he walked away from: Pacman had his latest court date scheduled, Ced got hit with a 3-game suspension and Simpson Cheech was busted with 8.5 lbs. of pot. If things keep going this way, Palmer will looking like a flipping genius for quitting by season's end.

Speaking of Pacman, is he going to receive any type of suspension once he comes off PuP? Wouldn't that be a kicker to have him on PuP for 6 weeks then get him suspended on top of that?

:lmao:

Sure, because the reason he quit was the team offended his high moral principals. (Principals which presumably do not include "do your best".) Child please! Carson Palmer doesn't give 2 s**ts about anyone else on this team. If he did, he would've taken some kind of leadership role at some point in his "career." The fact that the only person he could get to listen to him on the team was his brother says more about him than about anybody else on the team.

Sure, because the reason he quit was the team offended his high moral principals.

I never said he did. But what does this team look like to people on the outside right now? Criminals and potheads. If you all want people to start beating up on Palmer for quitting, it would help if the team didn't continuously appear on the police blotter.

Sure, because the reason he quit was the team offended his high moral principals.

I never said he did. But what does this team look like to people on the outside right now? Criminals and potheads. If you all want people to start beating up on Palmer for quitting, it would help if the team didn't continuously appear on the police blotter.

Wait wait wait a minute. No one ever said Jerome was a pothead. He was dealing the stuff and everyone knows you can't be a good dealer if you are using your own stuff!

:sure:

All true. In fact, despite a fairly remarkable amount of change in all directions the sinking feeling we're all experiencing now is due to the way this team ISN'T moving on at all.

{sigh}

We're weird again.

But let's stay focused. :blink:

Palmer IS a puzzy and a chump. Bengal players are saying it. Legendary ex-NFL head coaches are saying it. And this guy says that's what other NFL players are saying behind closed doors. Others have said it openly.

I've said it before. By threatening to retire Palmer invites us to consider his career as a whole, as if it had ended forever. Period. Thus, no further thought is given to what Palmer might have done this year or the next or the next or the next. We put down our rose-colored glasses and consider all that has come before and nothing that might have been. We add up the sum total of plus and minus. We attempt to define intangibles like reputation and legacy. Simply put, we judge because he's asking us to judge. And there's the rub, because Palmer is also being judged by his peers.

Not very pretty, is it?

I still don't blame Palmer for wanting to go somewhere else......Hell, just watching this sad circus go around again with Benson, now Simpson and watching Mike Brown run this sh*t is enough to make anybody lose their passion......Hey, blame Palmer all you want, but he damn sure isn't the first player to want to get out of this hell hole......

we need like 14 more pages to get to 100........C'mon people !!!!!

I still don't blame Palmer for wanting to go somewhere else......Hell, just watching this sad circus go around again with Benson, now Simpson and watching Mike Brown run this sh*t is enough to make anybody lose their passion......Hey, blame Palmer all you want, but he damn sure isn't the first player to want to get out of this hell hole......

Hey Pimp... when did GroundhogDay/MomsLikeMe hack your account?

You've been especially trollish lately.

I think the NFL showed Palmer for the spoiled brat he was. As a player he could pick what college to go to, but in the NFL he was drafted and had no choice. He had to play for Cincinnati no matter what and eventually he got tired of not getting his way.

Funny though that no one says as much about what he did compared to guys like John Elway and Eli Manning. They both were able to force their way onto teams they wanted.

we need like 14 more pages to get to 100........C'mon people !!!!!

I'll say it again, you SHOULD blame Palmer for making this team worse rather than better, and then quitting.

Again, I also say, that DUI's, drug arrest, and all the rest didn't have s**t to do with Palmer's "trade me or I'll quit" tantrum. The two simply aren't related. Do you honestly think Carson Palmer was sitting in his house with a red face when Chris Henry got repeatedly arrested? Hell no, he was sitting there just like the rest of us repeating "dumb s**t" under his breath.

As for Palmer not being the first to want to quit, I only need to remind you he was - far and away - the highest paid to do so and - by all accounts - the most unbelievably coddled and apologized for player on any Bengal team I can recall.

I think even teammates are coming around, and realizing what kind of teammate Palmer was. Whitworth seems to be taking jabs at him quite a bit here as of late. How about finally having a QB that fires up his offense line, and WR, instead of just going back standing there looking lost.

Palmer got what he wanted he asked for the guys the Mike Brown decided to spend money on, and how did they do....oh they sucked!! Palmer has not been right since after 2006, he never read the defense again like he was doing in 2005 or 2006, and throwing INTs all over the place. Sorry but Palmer has not been anything special in quite sometime, and i find it very selfish for what he did, but im happy he is not on this team anymore, just wish he did this another way!!

Sorry but Palmer has not been anything special in quite sometime, and i find it very selfish for what he did, but im happy he is not on this team anymore, just wish he did this another way!!

Agreed, Palmer is a beautiful quitter. The best quitter ever. He wasn't really very good anymore, he quit and we got a new oc and a new quarterback. Carson Palmer, I salute your quitting ways!

I think the NFL showed Palmer for the spoiled brat he was. As a player he could pick what college to go to, but in the NFL he was drafted and had no choice. He had to play for Cincinnati no matter what and eventually he got tired of not getting his way.

Funny though that no one says as much about what he did compared to guys like John Elway and Eli Manning. They both were able to force their way onto teams they wanted.

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing," Palmer said. "That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a 5-, 8-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."--ESPN story on Palmer's extension, 12-29-05.

Yep.

Difference between Palmer and Elway/Manning is that they knew where they didn't want to go and forced their trades without ever playing for those teams. Manning forced the trade at the draft and Elway threatened to become the next Joe DiMaggio.

Palmer took the big number-one pick money. He knew what he was getting into--while the team didn't have the character issues in 2003, it did have 13 years of SoP's ineptitude behind it. He knew what he was doing. Now to say that "I'm not coming back because the team sucks"--well, sucks. They sucked when you signed. You knew what SoP was. Even though the 'blind squirrel' Bengals found a couple of nuts in 2005 and 2009, the team is still SoP's legacy of football failure.

What his 'retirement' says is that he realizes he's not good enough to turn a team around. He's no Peyton Manning. He's no Tom Brady, nor Drew Brees. And it has nothing to do with character issues or he wouldn't have signed the extension, or came back after 2006. He's quit on the team and he's quit on himself.

It's honest of him, I'll give him that. I'm in the camp of those that believe his trade value is nowhere near as high as others think. Winning coaches and winning football cultures want no part of a guy that doesn't believe in himself. Palmer does not.

What his 'retirement' says is that he realizes he's not good enough to turn a team around. He's no Peyton Manning. He's no Tom Brady, nor Drew Brees. And it has nothing to do with character issues or he wouldn't have signed the extension, or came back after 2006. He's quit on the team and he's quit on himself.

It's honest of him, I'll give him that. I'm in the camp of those that believe his trade value is nowhere near as high as others think. Winning coaches and winning football cultures want no part of a guy that doesn't believe in himself. Palmer does not.

Boom.

Speaking of Dancing, maybe he can make some use of all this spare time and at the same time grab himself some publicity by snagging a gig on Dancing with the Stars?

However, if there are any moves where he needs to toss his partner into the air, perhaps a NFL defensive back should be somewhere in the vicinity to ensure a catch is made

Again, I also say, that DUI's, drug arrest, and all the rest didn't have s**t to do with Palmer's "trade me or I'll quit" tantrum. The two simply aren't related. Do you honestly think Carson Palmer was sitting in his house with a red face when Chris Henry got repeatedly arrested? Hell no, he was sitting there just like the rest of us repeating "dumb s**t" under his breath.

I would suggest to you that there's a glaring contradiction between the first and last sentence of this paragraph.

As for this week's glut of super-awesome-great news in Bengal-land, its impact is simply to remind everyone that Palmer didn't exactly quit on the New York Yankees or the New England Patriots. No, he ran out on what's widely acknowledged as one of the worst franchises in professional sports. And that in turn suggests a follow-up question to those NFL players who are calling Carson a chump and a p***y for not sticking around: how many of them, given the opportunity, would choose to come to Cincy and try to make the Bengals great again?

I would bet that you aren't going to get a lot of volunteers.