Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

SoP, please deal Palmer to Indy. for their r2 and r3 picks.

Even with Palmer, they will go 3-13 and win the Andrew Luck derby. We;ll take the r2 and r3, trade up to mid r1 and take Dre Kirkpatrick, CB from Alabama.

But he won't trade him. Nope. Not gonna happen.

f**k SoP. f**k Carson.

This thread sucks mostly because it isn't adding to our quest to get the Palmer thread to 100 pages.

And also because it has less chance of happening than Mike Brown being the one that took the naked camera pics of Scarlett Johannsen.

Just trade him already and get this soap opera over.

What soap opera? Are you really so emotionally fragile that you can't stand the stress you may feel when confronted with a few unfounded interent rumors?

That said, maybe it would help if you viewed the Palmer situation with even more classic soap opera trappings. For example, Carson Palmer might be suffering from temporary amnesia or blindness. Or maybe he wakes up tommorrow and quickly finds Mike Brown, still alive, taking a shower. Maybe it was all a dream?

Tune in tommorrow for the next stirring episode of...."All My Bengals"

Just trade him already and get this soap opera over.

What soap opera? Are you really so emotionally fragile that you can't stand the stress you may feel when confronted with a few unfounded interent rumors?

That said, maybe it would help if you viewed the Palmer situation with even more classic soap opera trappings. For example, Carson Palmer might be suffering from temporary amnesia or blindness. Or maybe he wakes up tommorrow and quickly finds Mike Brown, still alive, taking a shower. Maybe it was all a dream?

Tune in tommorrow for the next stirring episode of...."All My Bengals"

Maybe Katie is pregnant with Palmer's baby and Mike Brown forces him to come back to Cincinnati for a shotgun wedding.

BTW Hair fif you see the post I had about the actress that looks just like Pumpkin? Tilda Swinson?

This thread sucks mostly because it isn't adding to our quest to get the Palmer thread to 100 pages.

It is now! :sure:

Sportees, re your question about Palmer's contract, it just sticks with him, whether he retires or files papers or whatever. There is nothing he can do in any way, shape or form to negate it (and thus Brown's hold on him). I remember back in the late 90s after Boomer flamed out in a single year on MNF, he made some comments about playing again and Mike was quick to chime in that if he came out of retirement the Bengals still held his rights (because he retired while under contract to the team) and that if he was playing anywhere it would be in Cincy. And that was the end of Boomer's unretirement talk.

It is now! :sure:

Sportees, re your question about Palmer's contract, it just sticks with him, whether he retires or files papers or whatever. There is nothing he can do in any way, shape or form to negate it (and thus Brown's hold on him). I remember back in the late 90s after Boomer flamed out in a single year on MNF, he made some comments about playing again and Mike was quick to chime in that if he came out of retirement the Bengals still held his rights (because he retired while under contract to the team) and that if he was playing anywhere it would be in Cincy. And that was the end of Boomer's unretirement talk.

But if a guy retired i.e. Palmer, and he came back to the league 2 years later, what team is going to want to pay him $10 million+ a year for a guy that has been out of football that long? I thought for sure that the rights to a player under contract only extended to the length of the actual contract. So Palmer's contract was through the 2015 season, so in 2016 he would be considered a free agent. Who would want him by then, but you see what I am saying.

But if a guy retired i.e. Palmer, and he came back to the league 2 years later, what team is going to want to pay him $10 million+ a year for a guy that has been out of football that long? I thought for sure that the rights to a player under contract only extended to the length of the actual contract. So Palmer's contract was through the 2015 season, so in 2016 he would be considered a free agent. Who would want him by then, but you see what I am saying.

Whether Palmer officially retires or not, as long as he doesn't show up his contract freezes where it is. If he were to return it would come back "on line" at the same point he walked away. But you are right, if he sits out for two or three years I doubt any team will want to pay him $11.5 million out of the gate. But I'm sure a new deal (with a lot less $$$) would be part of any trade.

Then Why would the Colts have any interest in Palmer at all? The have Manning and if they traded for Palmer they would be on the hook for another 3 years of his contract. I wonder how much they would owe him if they cut him after the season.

My guess is Carson will be willing to rip up his contract if it gets him out of Cincinnati. He says he doesn't need the money so if he were to be traded to Indy, he'd likely agree to a one yr deal and gladly be a FA next yr

Then Why would the Colts have any interest in Palmer at all? The have Manning and if they traded for Palmer they would be on the hook for another 3 years of his contract. I wonder how much they would owe him if they cut him after the season.

My guess is Carson will be willing to rip up his contract if it gets him out of Cincinnati. He says he doesn't need the money so if he were to be traded to Indy, he'd likely agree to a one yr deal and gladly be a FA next yr

But if that is true, then why didn't he file his retirement paperwork already to prove to the Bengals he wasn't faking his 'trade or I'll retire' demand?

I think it would be really funny if the Bengals sold his contract to a UFL or CFL team, if they can do that.

But if that is true, then why didn't he file his retirement paperwork already to prove to the Bengals he wasn't faking his 'trade or I'll retire' demand?

I think it would be really funny if the Bengals sold his contract to a UFL or CFL team, if they can do that.

I haven't seen anywhere that he gains anything by doing that

This reduces Carson to rent-a-wreck status, and I don't think he'd agree to it. He'd want a new contract for sure, probably want some significant signing money, but I agree he'd take a decrease in annual salary.

No one is going to give us a first for Palmer if they just want to sign him for the rest of the season. They'd want him down for several years, but what will their confidence be in his willingness to keep showing up every year? They are likely afraid that if the going gets tough, Carson just runs back to sunny southern California and stays put.

Carson has put himself in a tough spot. He probably felt he held all the cards when he walked into Mike Browns office after last season. Now he isn't holding jack shet.

I haven't seen anywhere that he gains anything by doing that

Kerry Collins retired from Tennessee but came out for the Colts, so it's not a hard process to turn around. I hope you understand what I am saying here, it's not hard to retire and un-retire, but just the fact that he hasn't retired shows me that there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Either Mike Brown has given him hope that indeed he will trade him, Palmer has gotten cold feet about his 'trade me or I'll retire' demand, or Palmer thinks Mike Brown is full of it and he can just show up in Cincy and force his hand.

Carson never in this whole deal ever planned to retire - quite simply, the retirement option was /is his only leverage against Son-of-a-Genius, so thats what he threw out there.

I wouldn't quite call it a bluff because if the mexican stand off continues long enough, I have no doubt he will eventually retire, but for now, its a bluff

The next event of interest will (I think) be if he reports on the last date to get a credited year for pension purposes. I don't honestly know when that date is.

So do you think Jordan Palmer i staying in a guest room at his brother's house? Do you think that Jordan yells at his brother, blaming him for losing his job in Cincinnati? Do you think Carson will make it part of his agreement with the next team he plays for that his brother gets a spot too? Do you now feel dumber for reading what I just typed?

The same soap opera that has dragged on for 84 pages in this thread, in case you weren't paying attention. I want the damned picks.

Or maybe he wakes up tommorrow and quickly finds Mike Brown, still alive, taking a shower.

Nice reference, but please, no more mentions of Mike Brown naked.

Kerry Collins retired from Tennessee but came out for the Colts, so it's not a hard process to turn around. I hope you understand what I am saying here, it's not hard to retire and un-retire, but just the fact that he hasn't retired shows me that there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Either Mike Brown has given him hope that indeed he will trade him, Palmer has gotten cold feet about his 'trade me or I'll retire' demand, or Palmer thinks Mike Brown is full of it and he can just show up in Cincy and force his hand.

The only reason for him to do that is if it got him out of his contract with the Bengals and I don't think it would

Carson never in this whole deal ever planned to retire - quite simply, the retirement option was /is his only leverage against Son-of-a-Genius, so thats what he threw out there.

I wouldn't quite call it a bluff because if the mexican stand off continues long enough, I have no doubt he will eventually retire, but for now, its a bluff

The next event of interest will (I think) be if he reports on the last date to get a credited year for pension purposes. I don't honestly know when that date it.

I think it's in November

The next event of interest will (I think) be if he reports on the last date to get a credited year for pension purposes. I don't honestly know when that date it.

I think it's in November

Vincent Jackson last year had to show up by October 31st for the year to count against his contract. Not sure how things changed with the new CBA though.

Either way, it doesn't really apply to this situation. Palmer had 4 years left on his contract... so if he pulled this stunt for 4 years, he would be 35 years old by the end, presumably not having played football for 4 years (and not having a good season in 8 years). His career would essentially be over anyway.

Also... By October 31st, the check he would have to write Mike Brown would be close to $3 million. MB could probably slap him with a 4 game suspension, meaning Palmer would only get paid for the last 4 games of the season... which comes out to just less than $3 million.

He's not showing up.

So Palmer made a public appearance Saturday tailgating at the USC game. He told people that he was sticking to his guns and would not report to Cincinnati this year or any time in the future. Here is a tiny tidbit you might enjoy:

NFL.com reported Sunday that Palmer has been throwing to one of his former targets with the Bengals, free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, in case the Bengals change their stance and either trade the quarterback or release him.

Per ESPN

So maybe TJ wasn't the cancer? So it goes back to Chad and his childish behavior? Maybe it was Carson Palmer all along?