Roy Williams Signed per .com

mgi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT is going on this off season . . . I am definitely the eternal bengal optimist, but a top ten defense (dare I say top 5?!) is seeming to be more and more of a real possibility. We have to have one of the deepest defenses in the league now, too. Mike and Marvin, getting after it.

I can't believe what the bengals' off season has looked like. Who dey?!

As long as he isn't left on an island deep, I am fine with it. He's had success under Zimmer, he knows the system, and he's a legit hitter. He provides depth at S, and can step in and play.

I am okay with it.

Agent: Bengals agree with Roy

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 24 minutes ago

a a The agent for five-time Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams confirmed Wednesday the Bengals have reached an agreement as the club added its third impact player on defense in a month.

"There were a couple of teams offering considerable more money, but Roy liked the fit in Cincinnati," Jordan Woy said. "It's a good fit for both sides really. Roy obviously has a great relationship with (defensive coordinator) Mike Zimmer and he's excelled in that defense and the Bengals are happy to get a guy like that for their defense."

Woy wouldn't comment on terms, but said, "It's a short-term deal with incentives so both sides can get their feet wet with the situation and we'll go from there."

Williams, once the most feared hitter in the NFL, went to four Pro Bowls under Zimmer after the the Cowboys made him the eighth pick in the 2002 draft.

I was kind of leery with him after seeing him get toasted in coverage with the Cowboys numerous times, but I feel we may get more pressure on the QB, with some of the players we have now and he may not have to cover as long, plus WR's will be scared to cross the middle with him and Rey Rey waiting to knock their block off...

As long as he isn't left on an island deep, I am fine with it. He's had success under Zimmer, he knows the system, and he's a legit hitter. He provides depth at S, and can step in and play.

I am okay with it.

Yeah I agree. I just told my friend ( also named Roy ) that the Bengals signed him, and he asked, " Good or bad "??? I told him he's very good against the run, and can make plays in the short zone, but if he's left alone deep, he's a liability.

Just curious here, But it appears Marvin White just got shown the door..... or he's headed to another year on Injured reserve ??

Starting Safeties, ... Chris Crocker and Roy Williams, Backups...... Chinedum Ndukwe, Corey Lynch and Kyries Hebert ?? I know we're not keeping 6 safeties!! 5 safeties is a little high if you ask me... I'd rather have the extra corners, cause none of these guys can double at corner.

I am okay with it.

Yeah I agree. I just told my friend ( also named Roy ) that the Bengals signed him, and he asked, " Good or bad "??? I told him he's very good against the run, and can make plays in the short zone, but if he's left alone deep, he's a liability.

Just curious here, But it appears Marvin White just got shown the door..... or he's headed to another year on Injured reserve ??

Starting Safeties, ... Chris Crocker and Roy Williams, Backups...... Chinedum Ndukwe, Corey Lynch and Kyries Hebert ?? I know we're not keeping 6 safeties!! 5 safeties is a little high if you ask me... I'd rather have the extra corners, cause none of these guys can double at corner.

Why would they release White over Lynch and Hebert? (who frankly, stink) I want them to keep White.

Just curious here, But it appears Marvin White just got shown the door.....

Good point. But maybe Williams won't even make the team. With what they gave for him, it wouldn't cost much to cut him if he can't beat out what we already have.

There's really no reason to keep Lynch or Hebert over White. I think White brings much more upside on special teams.

There's really no reason to keep Lynch or Hebert over White. I think White brings much more upside on special teams.

agreed. i can't see white getting shown the door because of this. Safeties (in no particular order) of white, ndukwe, crocker and williams seem pretty freaking legit to me.

This is a fine and interesting move. I don't think this means that Marvin White's days are numbered, and I sure hope that Corey Lynch still makes the team. I think Lynch will be a better player than Ndukwe, but I would still like to see both stick. But, hey, having a logjam at any position is not so bad a thing. As for a previous poster's comparison of Williams to Dexter Jackson, come on will you please stop.

I think that Thornton has a pretty good take:

So a day after I predict my starting lineup for the Bengals defense, they go out and add SS Roy Williams(which I mentioned, but later). And they met with CB Rod Hood too, according to reports. So pencil in Roy Williams into the starting lineup at the SS spot next to FS Chris Crocker. Big hits are on the way! Wow. I just hope teams don’t get a chance to expose them in coverage. But Crocker is a former corner that can cover better than Williams. SS Chinedum Ndukwe will play in sub packages, replacing on of the LB’s, putting more speed on the field without losing any ability to play the run. FS Marvin White will get more time to recover from his knee injury. I have to believe that this move to bring in Williams was tied to his recovery time, that’s just me thinking out loud. If hood comes in, he would take over the 3rd corner post(which I mentioned, but later) and compete with Johnathan Joseph for the starting job. If JJoe is healthy and gets back to his form, he will be the starter hands down. Bengals fans have to be excited about the moves that the team has made this off season. I still hear fans talking about how upset they are with the team and owner Mike Brown, but this is the best off season that the team has had since I can remember(6 years). I’m even excited for Georgetown and I’m not even on the team. Ha ha. I wonder if that deal they were offering me is still on the table…….Hmmmm. Just kidding. I am looking forward to see how this all turns out. I predicted playoffs awhile back and I’m sticking to it. Now there are only two things left to do. Stop playing with OT Andre Smith and move him to right tackle(Anthony Collins will start at LT), and handle the OchoCinco situation. Go to camp one big united family ready to take on the NFL. Until next time……

Sorry, I can't get happy about this one, folks......

What I see happening is

1) Roy comes here to restart his career, to essentially USE us, with no intention of remaining beyond a single year

and

2) Because we have to make space for him on our roster THIS year, we cut a promising young safety (probably White, Chinny, or Lynch) who we would have otherwise developed

and so

3) next year, we don't have Williams or the young safety we should (and would otherwise) be developing....we've got jack squat, and have to start over.

I don't like these rent-a-player scenarios except in situations where we are shallow at the position --AND-- we are already a playoff caliber team. This aint exactly that kinda situation now, is it?

Because we have to make space for him on our roster THIS year, we cut a promising young safety (probably White, Chinny, or Lynch) who we would have otherwise developed

I like White but they really can't wait for him any longer. Besides, I think it would be pretty easy for the Bengals to stash White on IR if he isn't ready to go immediately. As for Chinny, I'm betting his roster spot is a virtual lock. That leaves Lynch who has never impressed me much and would seem like an afterthought in any conversation involving a healthy Roy Williams.

Sorry, I can't get happy about this one, folks......

What I see happening is

1) Roy comes here to restart his career, to essentially USE us, with no intention of remaining beyond a single year

and

2) Because we have to make space for him on our roster THIS year, we cut a promising young safety (probably White, Chinny, or Lynch) who we would have otherwise developed

and so

3) next year, we don't have Williams or the young safety we should (and would otherwise) be developing....we've got jack squat, and have to start over.

I don't like these rent-a-player scenarios except in situations where we are shallow at the position --AND-- we are already a playoff caliber team. This aint exactly that kinda situation now, is it?

I was kind of thinking that too, but at the same time I think if he has a lot of success here (personal and team success), he may want to come back regardless. According to the article he was offered more money to play for other teams, but he chose the Bengals because of Zimmer. So it could be just as easy to think that he will want to play here because of Zimmer instead of jumping ship after the season, especially if he and the Bengals have a good year.

Because we have to make space for him on our roster THIS year, we cut a promising young safety (probably White, Chinny, or Lynch) who we would have otherwise developed

I like White but they really can't wait for him any longer. Besides, I think it would be pretty easy for the Bengals to stash White on IR if he isn't ready to go immediately. As for Chinny, I'm betting his roster spot is a virtual lock. That leaves Lynch who has never impressed me much and would seem like an afterthought in any conversation involving a healthy Roy Williams.

Yeah. Plus all these other young safeties of ours all have injury issues. White and Lynch are coming off knee injuries and Chinny seems to be doing that Dexter Jackson thing where he can be counted on to miss 3 or 4 or 5 games a year because of this or that dent.

Williams, whatever else his faults, has never been a big injury problem. Prior to busting his arm last season and missing 13 games, he'd missed 1 game in six seasons.

If this indicates a sharply reduced tolerance for injuries on the part of the Bengals (and taken with the cuts of guys like Perry, Henderson and Levi I think it does) that can only be a good thing.

I like this signing. Williams is better than our worst safety, so it improves the team short term. Long term it hurts us because WIlliams will replace one of the young backups, but we have at least 7 tries next draft to replace the guy we lose this year.

I'm not worried about Lynch or one of those other scrubs getting cut; not only does Roy bring some more nastiness to the team he also brings plenty of knowledge. I trust the hell out of Zimmer because apparently he saw that Roy could bring something to the Bengals that the other guys was lacking. You have to be kidding me if you ever thought Lynch was going to start for us, people are talking about Roy is slow and gets beat in coverage what the hell would you think Corey Lynch who got ran down by the kicker was going to do if he ever started? I can only be happy when we sign a five time pro bowler for a bargain rate that's only 28 years old. Kudos to the Bengals for actually trying to do something.