Lewis: Changes Necessary for Me to Stay

HoosierCat

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

This dance between ownership and coach, between Bengals owner Mike Brown and Lewis, is an odd one. Brown declined comment.

It is clear that Brown makes final personnel decisions (see the comeback trail of Bengals receiver Chris Henry). It is clear that Brown makes final financial decisions. It is clear that Brown has signed Lewis through the 2010 season. It is clear that Brown will likely not eat the millions due Lewis and dump him after this season.

What is unclear is what the future holds for both. And for the Bengals.

"It's not a shock to say that we have to make some changes for the future for me to remain here," Lewis said.

Looks like the fun is starting early this year.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

This dance between ownership and coach, between Bengals owner Mike Brown and Lewis, is an odd one. Brown declined comment.

It is clear that Brown makes final personnel decisions (see the comeback trail of Bengals receiver Chris Henry). It is clear that Brown makes final financial decisions. It is clear that Brown has signed Lewis through the 2010 season. It is clear that Brown will likely not eat the millions due Lewis and dump him after this season.

What is unclear is what the future holds for both. And for the Bengals.

"It's not a shock to say that we have to make some changes for the future for me to remain here," Lewis said.

Looks like the fun is starting early this year.

Just when we thought:

1) maybe things were turning around, especially on defense.

2) things couldn't get any worse.

2) things couldn't get any worse.

Hey, this is the Bengals. If there's a bottom, they haven't found it yet, and they've been trying for, what, 17 years?

Seriously, tho, how screwed up does it say that this organization is that a head coach who's 1-8-1 can issue a threat to quit? :lol:

We all knew there was an ongoing struggle between Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown.

Now Marvin seems to say things better change or he'll resign. Just follow that out to its logical conclusion.

He'll need a job.

He's known as an excellent defensive coordinator.

And he shares coaching DNA with Mike Tomlin.

Both got their first NFL jobs working for Marty Schottenheimer proteges. Bill Cowher learned to coach in his first NFL coaching job working for Marty, then hired Marvin into his first NFL coaching job as linebackers coach in Pittsburgh. Tony Dungy learned to coach under Marty, then hired Mike Tomlin into his first NFL coaching job in Tampa Bay.

Dick LeBeau is 71 years old. He's rumored to be retiring after this season. (By me, I just made up that rumor).

So Marvin quits, Tomlin hires him as DC, and Mike Brown gets the pleasure of watching the coach, who frequently suggested changes that Mike refused to implement, forcibly drive home the need for said changes by kicking the living crap out of our offense for about the next ten years.

Sounds about right for life here in Bengaldom.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

Once in a lifetime.......

I think last month I said Lewis was most likely gone after this season. I didn't see how he could stay.

Still don't.

Now that he has gone public with probably a very private power struggle, he's probably already lost the fight and is letting the NFL world that he tried to put some new ideas into a dead franchise but MB wouldn't have it.

Marvin Lewis won't coach the Bengals in 2009. Who would want to? What a way to knock Chad out of the fight today.

Just think, when Mikey steps down/dies eventually, we get Katie or someone else "in the family" to take over. LOL. Who knows though, maybe they're playing the long game and when they finally have the wheel, they'll be very professional and sort this thing out and at least have a stab at some sort of credibility. That's the hope I cling onto anyway.

I thought Marv's statement was a bit ambiguous - not knowing exactly what he means by "changes" any ways. I hope it means both players and coaches, as well as personnel decisions. After all he was stuck with the goon squad on offense when he came here (Alexander, Brat etc..,).

I don't think he'll ever call Brown out publicly - coaches don't do that to owners lest they risk the NFL black ball - but if there's any owner you could do it to, and get away with it, it's Mike Brown though, the least respected owner in the league, who always votes differently than the majority of other owners.

His comment is somewhat encouraging.

The first thing I'd do is just throw Chad out on his ass and fire Paul Alexander. That would be a good start. And tell Mike to back-off in the war room and give him a budget to work with - and let him make the player decisions, or hire someone who can.

I don't think he'll ever call Brown out publicly - coaches don't do that to owners lest they risk the NFL black ball - but if there's any owner you could do it to, and get away with it, it's Mike Brown though, the least respected owner in the league, who always votes differently than the majority of other owners.

I agree. I don't think anyone would hold it against him if he just went public with how much of a douchenozzle Mikey is.

I thought Marv's statement was a bit ambiguous -

Yup. I'm not even sure it was a threat to quit.

The first thing I'd do is just throw Chad out on his ass.....

There you go. None of us know what changes Marvin was hinting about, but I'm guessing a divorce from Chad would be pretty high on any list.

It is not like Marvin to say so much to reporters. He is well known for saying absolutely nothing during his pressers. He went far today in airing his thoughts. I think it is significant and does indicate a breech between him and MB.

I thought Marv's statement was a bit ambiguous -

Yup. I'm not even sure it was a threat to quit.

The first thing I'd do is just throw Chad out on his ass.....

There you go. None of us know what changes Marvin was hinting about, but I'm guessing a divorce from Chad would be pretty high on any list.

Ok...I think I about passed out when I read this...Hair agreeing with Shula happens about as often as Mike Brown splurges at the car wash for a spritz of 'new car' scent.

He went far today in airing his thoughts. I think it is significant and does indicate a breech between him and MB.

Oh, I agree there's a breech. I'm simply not convinced it was a threat to quit.

I can't speak for Marvin obviously, but its rare for a coach to dish dirt on his team, like Marvin did today, and expect his owner to be pleased with him. We all know what owners do to coaches that displease them.

He went far today in airing his thoughts. I think it is significant and does indicate a breech between him and MB.

I can't speak for Marvin obviously, but its rare for a coach to dish dirt on his team, like Marvin did today, and expect his owner to be pleased with him. We all know what owners do to coaches that displease them.

They hire them to coach the Bengals? Can Mike Brown fine Marvin under the 'Loyalty Clause'? :lol:

They hire them to coach the Bengals? Can Mike Brown fine Marvin under the 'Loyalty Clause'? :lol:

Very funny, another way is threaten to speak well of them to Mike Brown.