Smart move changing name to Ocho-Cinco

walzav29

I'm sure they do. Abdul Jabbar did it. He legally changed it. I don't think that many guys will run out and change their names, because they will be ripping off his idea. Remember He-Hate-Me? I'd rather deal with this than him holding out of camp and pissing and moaning.

I wonder if It'll say "Ocho Cinco" in my fantasy leagues now?

Ocho Cinco 2.0

By GEOFF HOBSON

August 29, 2008

Posted: 5:05 p.m.

By the power vested in Broward County, Florida, Chad Johnson's name is now legally "Chad Javon Ocho Cinco," in what he calls a reinvention of the Ocho gig.

"Ocho Cinco 2.0" is what Johnson is calling it, but what the NFL is calling it remains to be seen. Could Johnson be looking for "Ocho Cinco" to go across the back of his No. 85 jersey?

"Hint, hint," he said of the marketing potential. "It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before. Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."

Johnson

Johnson "changed" his name to Ocho Cinco for warmups before a game against the Falcons in 2006 and before Carson Palmer ripped off the nameplate to reveal C. Johnson. That was a violation of NFL uniform rules and he was reportedly fined $5,000.

Now he's done it legally in a move first reported by ProFootballTalk.com. And according to the document from the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, the name change won't "invade the property rights of others, whether partnership, patent, good will, privacy, trademark, or otherwise."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail Friday that the league is looking into it.

Don Hinchey of The Bonham Group, an internationally influential sports and entertainment company based in Denver, estimates Johnson could make this legal name change work for as much as "in the low seven figures."

"He's definitely got some cachet. He's really turned it into kind of a brand name. The media has picked it up and that can help him extend it. He's edgy enough and unpredictable enough that that would appeal to a lot of people on a jersey."

The highest selling jersey on NFLshop.com from Aug. 1 to Aug. 26, of course, was Brett Favre. The only receivers in the top 25 were Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. Could an Ocho jersey fire up sales, for which players get less than 10 percent on each jersey sale?

"He's a tremendously talented guy and very magnetic, but he's also volatile," Hinchey said. "I see him as almost like a football Dennis Rodman. But I think if he stays away from that, I think it's a pretty smart move. He's got some good market sense."

Johnson's popularity took a hit in the offseason with trade demands, holdout threats, and boycott of the voluntary practices. But since the start of training camp he has been all for it, saying and doing all the right things, and he remained a popular player during the camp at Georgetown College.

He has been especially hard-working since he suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder Aug. 17 and while there is the possibility his shoulder could pop out of the socket and end his season, he is proud of his weightlifting.

"Today I did my normal routine, I just went right down the row (of weight machines)," Johnson said Friday after sitting out Thursday's game. "Everything was at 100 pounds. I felt good. Tell Cincinnati I love them and to come along for the ride. It's going to be fun."

Johnson won't say what he has up his sleeve. But he said it's not going to change much.

"You can call me anything you want," he said.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6995

Chad "whatever" is still a jackass... I've grown weary of the "look at me" crap... Sorry I don't see the humor of the guy anymore... Just grow up and get us a championship...

You sound a bit uptight. I think he's a lot of fun personally, I don't see why people think he's a "jackass" when he is having fun, creating rivalries, etc. etc.

I guess old school competition is a thing of the past, and now everyone must be a golfer about it and take it super seriously? Come on.

Chad "whatever" is still a jackass... I've grown weary of the "look at me" crap... Sorry I don't see the humor of the guy anymore... Just grow up and get us a championship...

You sound a bit uptight. I think he's a lot of fun personally, I don't see why people think he's a "jackass" when he is having fun, creating rivalries, etc. etc.

I guess old school competition is a thing of the past, and now everyone must be a golfer about it and take it super seriously? Come on.

Were you asleep the whole offseason? A lot of people lost respect for him recently.

Of course he's uptight. The Bengals have never won a Super Bowl and haven't even been there in twenty years. I'm with him. I don't care about his last name. Take us to the dance.

Smart move ?? Maybe from a financial standpoint I suppose, but then again Chad isn't about the money, right ?? Right ??

I've said it before and I'll say it again... F*CK Chad !!! Have you learned to block downfield when you don't get the ball Chad ??

Seriously, I hope the league keeps him from sporting the jersey. Focus on the game and help the team asswipe !!!

WHODEY !!!

No more distractions, right?

And a vow to be a better professional, right?

Plus, a promise to improve on his rather pathetic play from last season, right?

So what's next, another faked injury?

One good pop to that arm and there will be no 'faking' necessary. Hopefully, he doesn't do it until game five when Chris Henry can finally play and give us a psuedo-decent number two receiver.

Amen brother! I am sure his family is real proud of the name change thing too.

I wonder if he's got any more of those blond-mohawk things leftover from a few years back? That really helped us all.

Do you think he even has a clue that 'Ocho Cinco' does not mean 85 in Spanish?

As I understand Spanish, (it's been a long time since I took it in high school) it means eight being ocho and five being cinco. 8 and 5. Not eighty five.

Chad is now officially a douche bag. IMHO Chad thinks he is better than he really is.

I'll go out on a limb and contend that if ocho stinko had caught the ball on the play he was injured then he would not be injured. Take a look at a reply...if he wraps his hands around the ball he would not have the chicken wing wounded. He might still have smashed his shoulder but it wouldn't be what it is today. :o

And one more thing: Is acting like a fool permissable because you are having fun? <_<