rudi for a wr?

AGrizzlyBaer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it. There is WAY too much RB talent out there about to become available to neccessitate a trade for a hammy bound RB whose threads are showing.

If it were a dream, we'd do a three way deal for Boldin, sending Rudi to Denver and Denver sending a player to be named to AZ.

Well it better be a good deal if any or i cant wait to hear everyone rip this team for sending one of there leaders packing lol. Im just not sure anyone would want a hurt running back, but i guess this shows how much they like perry. I was reading somewhere that perry ripped into this team about there preseason performance which is exactly what i wanted someone to do. It will be very interesting to see what happens here.

update from pft

BENGALS SHOPPING RUDI?

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2008, 9:03 p.m.

As our friends from Rotoworld have noted in the PFT Fantasy Mill, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported on Monday night that the Cincinnati Bengals are shopping veteran tailback Rudi Johnson.

Per Mort, the Bengals want a “real receiver,” given the shoulder injury suffered eight days ago by Chad Johnson.

We’re having trouble buying this one; there’s been no indication that the Bengals want to move Johnson, and if they were serious about trading Rudi Johnson for a “real receiver” they likely would have done it without suffering the negative P.R. hit arising from the decision to bring back a “real turd” like Chris Henry.

He said that a couple teams contacted Mort that the bengals called them about trading rudi for one of there WR. I wonder what teams would have called.

Teams that have receivers and need an RB. I'd look to the following:

Jets

Denver

Houston

Eagles?

I sure hope it was Perry they were trying to sucker someone with. Guy looks slower than molasses now and Rudi can get those same yards he has, and more. But Watson should get a lot of carries. He's the only back who can make that o-line look any good it seems.

Hmm, anything is possible for a team that brought back knuckle head Henry. Obviously WR is a desperate situation for the Bengals. Carson can't wait all day for someone to get open, else his bones get broken. I could see a trade for WR, trouble is, who do they have to trade? NFL trades aren't exactly common.

So which team is fat on WR's and paper thin ar RB?

If you trade a RB it should be Perry, the guy is in the last year of a contract and has a much larger history of injuries. Honestly there are going to be a lot of half way decent RB's released from other teams that it will make it hard for a trade to get worked out. I don't believe Shaun Alexander has signed with anyone yet. In my opinion it is probably not so much his recent injuries, or lack of production last year, but more the fact that Alexander has already made a great deal of money in his career and he isn't going to play for a low salary just for the sake of playing in the NFL another year. Alexander is a pretty well versed guy and will make an easy transition into broadcasting if he so chooses. I'll guarantee that if he was to play this year, he would prefer to play for his childhood hometown team, the Bengals, and do so at his lowest contract demand.

Another guy that just hit the market is former hometown player DeShawn Wynn who played for Florida in college and for Green Bay last year. I would say he could be a younger version of a Kenny Watson. He is 5' 10" and 232 lbs. with a bit of speed. Even in an injury plagued year as a rookie with the Packers, he scored 4 rushing TD's which is more than Chris Perry has in his career. He is fast enough to play in situational roles, but big enough to start a few games throughout the season if needed.

Dorsey is gone as far as I am concerned. He carries the ball loosely, and the things he does best is as a returner and speed back, but with Perry back and so many young, fast receivers on the roster to return kicks, he is simply no longer needed.

In a perfect world, the Bengals would trade Perry for either a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, or maybe even for an up and coming 3rd wideout. They would then cut Dorsey, bring in Wynn at a minimum price, and sign Alexander at the veteran minimum. The Giants come to mind as a good team for the Bengals to partner up with for a trade. They could ship off Perry for guys like Sinorice Moss or Steve Smith. How about even the Cardinals in a Perry for Steve Breaston swap? Wolverine for wolverine? Breaston would also be an upgrade on special teams. Probably the one I would like to see most of all would be a trade with the 49ers (I know I hate them too) where it would be Perry for Arnaz Battle. For some reason Battle has fallen out of graces with Coach Mike Nolan eventhough he keeps on producing despite the lack of a good, consistant QB.

I REALLY wish they could pull off the Arnaz Battle for Chris Perry trade....

If you trade a RB it should be Perry, the guy is in the last year of a contract and has a much larger history of injuries. Honestly there are going to be a lot of half way decent RB's released from other teams that it will make it hard for a trade to get worked out. I don't believe Shaun Alexander has signed with anyone yet. In my opinion it is probably not so much his recent injuries, or lack of production last year, but more the fact that Alexander has already made a great deal of money in his career and he isn't going to play for a low salary just for the sake of playing in the NFL another year. Alexander is a pretty well versed guy and will make an easy transition into broadcasting if he so chooses. I'll guarantee that if he was to play this year, he would prefer to play for his childhood hometown team, the Bengals, and do so at his lowest contract demand.

Another guy that just hit the market is former hometown player DeShawn Wynn who played for Florida in college and for Green Bay last year. I would say he could be a younger version of a Kenny Watson. He is 5' 10" and 232 lbs. with a bit of speed. Even in an injury plagued year as a rookie with the Packers, he scored 4 rushing TD's which is more than Chris Perry has in his career. He is fast enough to play in situational roles, but big enough to start a few games throughout the season if needed.

Dorsey is gone as far as I am concerned. He carries the ball loosely, and the things he does best is as a returner and speed back, but with Perry back and so many young, fast receivers on the roster to return kicks, he is simply no longer needed.

In a perfect world, the Bengals would trade Perry for either a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, or maybe even for an up and coming 3rd wideout. They would then cut Dorsey, bring in Wynn at a minimum price, and sign Alexander at the veteran minimum. The Giants come to mind as a good team for the Bengals to partner up with for a trade. They could ship off Perry for guys like Sinorice Moss or Steve Smith. How about even the Cardinals in a Perry for Steve Breaston swap? Wolverine for wolverine? Breaston would also be an upgrade on special teams. Probably the one I would like to see most of all would be a trade with the 49ers (I know I hate them too) where it would be Perry for Arnaz Battle. For some reason Battle has fallen out of graces with Coach Mike Nolan eventhough he keeps on producing despite the lack of a good, consistant QB.

I REALLY wish they could pull off the Arnaz Battle for Chris Perry trade....

Perry won't get anything, that's why we're shopping Rudi... Use a little common sense... REggie Williams from Jacksonville would be nice.

Any of y'all watch Generation Kill on HBO? Helluva series. At any rate, for those who did watch it, I have started to think of Mike Brown as the Captain the marines derisively called "Captain America". I am thinking in particular of his panicked screams of "We're all going to die" when his unit came under fire while the troops under him rolled their eyes.

Mike Brown has reacted to Chad's injury like Captain America from Generation Kill. Signed Chris Henry. Apparently shopping Rudi for a "proven" receiver.

Jeebus, Mikey B, grow a pair. Find a way to make it work with what you have in house. It's what good teams do.

Mike Brown has reacted to Chad's injury like Captain America from Generation Kill. Signed Chris Henry. Apparently shopping Rudi for a "proven" receiver.

Mikey's push to re-sign Henry had been ongoing since the charges against Chris were dropped. Chad's injury gave him the excuse to push it over Marvin's objections, nothing more.

As for looking for a proven receiver, all I can say is: sounds good to me. Right now we have:

A No. 1 with a partial labrum tear who is 1. playing hurt and 2. could get knocked out for the season on any given play.

A No. 2 who has been unable to practice or play due to a hamstring injury.

A No. 3 who is suspended for the first four weeks.

In short, the possibility is very real that we could spend the first month or more of the season with Glenn Holt and Antonio Chatman as our starters. That worked out real well against the Saints...

A No. 2 who has been unable to practice or play due to a hamstring injury.

I suspect the hamstring is in pretty good shape. TJ said something along the lines of "if it were regular season I'd be playing on it." He was "afraid" to rush it. Of course a cynic might look at the situation and see a veteran milking an injury to miss as much of camp and the preseason as he can. I think both explanations apply to TJ's missed time.

This brings another thought into my head. This morning's Columbus Dispatch had the following sentence:

"With the season opener less than two weeks away, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, running back Rudi Johnson, linebacker Rashad Jeanty and defensive end Eric Henderson shook off various amounts of pain and rust and returned to practice."

My first reaction was a big "too little, too late". I was under the impression that common practice in the NFL was for starters to play the first 3 games, then they hardly play in the 4th game, avoiding injury and allowing the special teamers and depth guys to battle for roster spots.

We all know that some vets want nothing to do with the preseason. In my opinion this is with good reason. But to come back for the 4th game, to look good against the other team's depth guys, seems almost overly clever.

I won't put any faith in what Rudi does against the fellows the Colts put out there.

Why is Watson so over looked in this organiztion, I mean I honestly didn't think he did bad filling in for Rudi last year, hell, from the Seahawks game until the end of the season I thought he played exceptionally well. So in my honest opinion, the player that I worry about is Perry, we all know what Watson can do when he fills in, the question remains about Perry, but hey!!1 if the Front Office is willing to move Rudi, then they must feel good about Perry

RJohnson dances way too much in the backfield, and with the line already a shambles(CPalmer broken nose), I can see why you you want a faster CPerry running the ball maybe making someone miss in the backfield...They must think that with another WR & CPalmer they have a better chance of winning that with what we got and RJohnson...If they can get a legit WR, I make a trade at least if healthy CPerry can take it in from anywhere on the field...

Why is Watson so over looked in this organiztion, I mean I honestly didn't think he did bad filling in for Rudi last year,

Agreed. Kenny Watson looked better last season than Chris Perry has looked this preseason. And if they're shopping Rudi, then he must be the Rudi of '07, not the earlier version. Kenny Watson is getting no respect. Maybe they felt the preseason would be used to evaluate Chris Perry. For all we know the coaching staff is thinking the same thing we are.