rudi for a wr?

AGrizzlyBaer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clayton has done nothing for that team if he can come here and be something special then great but man he has played like crap for them.

1 TD in 3 years....

But Gruden sticks by him even though he looks like his head is somewhere else during the game....

I would pass....

Clayton has done nothing for that team if he can come here and be something special then great but man he has played like crap for them.

1 TD in 3 years....

But Gruden sticks by him even though he looks like his head is somewhere else during the game....

I would pass....

Well, maybe the Bengals are going off the winning TD he had against them in that ridiculous game with the infamous roughing the passer call.

And part of that is also an offensive line that will not open any lanes. I don't know what Perry's YPC is this preseason, but he's fighting to get every darn yard with this line.

Yup. That's why I'm not as down on Rudi as some people - awful line + serious injury, you can maybe think it's not just that the wheels fell off for him last season.

So Rudi is a pure product of the line eh? \poke poke poke

PS, Did not play tonight I have go with PFT and rudi will be gone by saturday

So Rudi is a pure product of the line eh? \poke poke poke

Hey, stop poking me!

I think Rudi last year was 40% line, 40% hammy, and 10% age. RBs drop off fast, but they don't go from over 4 YPC to under 3YPC in a year for no reason.

If he can't get healthy, then he can't get healthy - but as much as they've invested in Glass Perry, I wouldn't toss their workhorse over one bad year that isn't entirely his fault.

Though I have to admit, it looks like he's in the old doghouse, for some reason. Seems he's being accused of milking the injury, which I say is BS. Look at the guy's performance over the years, that's not him to be a p*ssy or a half-ass. Doesn't seem fair to me the way they're playing him, but oh well.

I'm down on Rudi. He didn't look good last year, and milked his hamstring to avoid working in the preseason. I'd love it if they'd trade him, but who's going to take him with his 3 million plus salary? Other teams will just wait for us to cut him. Which I think we will, this Saturday.

If he is healthy I dont see them cutting Rudi, to many questions surrounding the other RB's to let him go.

Rudi's gone... What questions. Most of you are forgetting Kenny Watson. Watson/Perry will get it done better then Rudi.

Though I have to admit, it looks like he's in the old doghouse, for some reason.

A few days ago Marvin said he was tired of guys who won't work in the preseason then expect to play later. He said we tried it last year and it didn't work. Rudi just picked the wrong year to decide he was too good to have to work in camp and the play in preseason games.

Does anyone know what his cap number is? I can't remember what his bonus was, but with 3.2 in salary, his cap number has to be in the 4-5 million range. See ya.

I'm down on Rudi. He didn't look good last year, and milked his hamstring to avoid working in the preseason. I'd love it if they'd trade him, but who's going to take him with his 3 million plus salary? Other teams will just wait for us to cut him. Which I think we will, this Saturday.

If he is healthy I dont see them cutting Rudi, to many questions surrounding the other RB's to let him go.

Rudi's gone... What questions. Most of you are forgetting Kenny Watson. Watson/Perry will get it done better then Rudi.

I think Rudi stays but he may not be the workhorse that he was from 2004-06. Watson has shown his versatility in many different situations but I don't know if he is a workhorse. And we'll have to see about Perry ability to stay healthy. If they use him in the role they did in 2005 then that reduces the need for another WR. Add Utecht to that comment too.

More teams are switching to the RB-by-committee and if the team is indeed commited to the run like they say, why would you want to limit yourself by getting rid of Rudi? If we had a big FB that could get some short yardage when needed, I would say dump Rudi but Jeremi is not that guy and Rudi is your only other option.

But I would not be surprised if they did trade him. After the Chris Henry thing, nothing will surprise me anymore.

james johnson may be the reason rudi gets it. it is a salary dump and a guy who is younger.... any one agree?

I don't think it's a salary dump. But you may be right about James Johnson though. Rudi was just a back-up who ended up being better than Dillon who was getting old. I still think Rudi would be able to be the most productive RB on the roster... but they might feel like they have enough with Watson, Perry, and one of the young guys that they can more than make do and get something they need in return.

That said... I'll be surprised if they move him.

Regardless of salary or any other factors, can you, without a doubt, say that the Bengals are a better team without Rudi?

There is no way you can...this team needs Rudi more than they are letting on...this is just another case of Marvin trying to gain discipline over this team in the wrong way. First he played a pissing contest last year with Levi. Then he had it out with Chad in the press, and now he is trying to pull rank on Rudi. His first 2 attempts failed miserably to gain any kind of respect from his players, eventhough they didn't give in to Chad's demands, he still aired out private disputes in a public manner. This clash with another high profile player will once again do more harm than good. When you treat a guy like Rudi who has been a workhorse for your team and played hurt more than any other player probably would, and treat him like a child, you are not only an ineffective leader, but a piss poor leader. This will end up being Marvin's last year with the Bengals, and count me as one of the happy to see him go.

this is just another case of Marvin trying to gain discipline over this team in the wrong way.

I don't see it that way at all. It's nothing personal with Rudi. Just a player that got old, can't stay heathy, and spent last year getting outplayed by a less expensive option (Kenny Watson).

These players don't need Marvin to drive home the message that when you get beat up and lose your effectiveness, you'll be let go or asked to take a big pay cut. That's the reality in the league and they all know it.

this is just another case of Marvin trying to gain discipline over this team in the wrong way.

I don't see it that way at all. It's nothing personal with Rudi. Just a player that got old, can't stay heathy, and spent last year getting outplayed by a less expensive option (Kenny Watson).

These players don't need Marvin to drive home the message that when you get beat up and lose your effectiveness, you'll be let go or asked to take a big pay cut. That's the reality in the league and they all know it.

Ditto. See Corey Dillon, ca. 2003.

Only difference is that Rudi has never really acted like a complete a**h***. I would hate to see him go if he's still got some gas in the tank but I am not sure this line is going to blow open holes like they did a few years ago.

I only like what Watson brings off the bench in relief, but nothing about him as a starter expected to carry the ball with great frequency through a game. Last year he carried the ball more than 10 times in only 6 games. His "big" games were against the Jets and Browns. He managed a whole 23 and 24 yards against the Steelers and Ravens defenses. While I like the fact he can catch out of the backfield as well, I just don't want him ever needing to be the starter...

WHODEY !!!

I have no problems going into the season with Perry, Watson, James Johnson and DeDe. Rudi lost his elusiveness and doesn't have the frame to be a Bettis, Jamal Lewis or Deuce. He's at the crossroads of his career. He has tried to lose weight, gain weight, and there is no where else to go.

We let Corey away far before he got to the place where Rudi's football life is.

Rudi-

He is just not going to get back to anything resembling his previous form. I have said since the season ended he should be given the opt-out and let him tandem somewhere and play out the last couple of years he can stay in the league. This offense does not suit Rudi in his current form.

He will be most likely cut, as I see no team looking to trade for Rudi. At least not offering anything of value.

Watson-

Kenny gets very little credit. He has delivered what has been needed, when needed. I think he could go full time for this team and be a far better, productive player than any of us realize.

CP-

well, what can be said that has not been mentioned here a million times? Injury Prone, Diverse Skills, questionable work ethic, etc. etc. CP needs to get/stay healthy and tandem with Watson. That would make for a very good duo in this offense.

DDD-

No doubt he is a dynamic talent but needs to contribute at PR/KR to get a roster foothold. As a 3rd down back, it is just a numbers game to make it. Can they split him out? Give him some slot routes? having guys who can play a couple different roles gives him a shot.

James Johnson-

Intersting prospect. Certainly good talent. I wish they had given him more playing time so we could see what he could do. Will go to the PS in all liklihood but is a talented guy with serious upside. Maybe they limited his carries to hide it.

The RB's will be Watson, Perry and DDD. Rudi cut, Johnson to PS.

As for FB, I do think Jeremi gets cut and Coats double times as FB.

What a fickle group most of you are. A guy is the new face of runningback in the franchise, has one injury plagued year and suddenly he is a leper. I'm surprised you all aren't calling for Palmer to get traded as well...I mean he did throw 20 Ints last year. He must be on a fast decline as well. We should trade Palmer for a second round pick and save some money by letting Fitzpatrick be the starter. I mean have you been watching preseason and how well Fitzpatrick has looked!?!? He is by far way ahead of Palmer so far this year if you go by the preseason stats. (Sarcasm to the max degree)

Seriously folks, you want to cut Rudi and go into the season with a guy that has yet to play a full 16 game season in his first 4 years in the league? Then that guy is backed up by a special teams stand out that has never rushed more than 178 times in a season? Then backing those 2 guys up is someone that has rushed the ball *21* times in his career! Threads like these make me wish that Rudi would get cut and then go on to another team and rush for 1500 yards and win a Super Bowl, thus slapping in the face all the Bengals fans that jumped off his bandwagon because of one bad season. Then reality slaps me in the face, telling me Rudi will stay a Bengal and after his first 100+ yard game with a TD, all you fair weather fans will be back on his bandwagon saying that you knew it all along that he would come back and have a good year. Was I dreaming or didn't all the coaches and news outlets report several times throughout training camp that Rudi looked the best they had seen him in his career up until his hamstring injury? Amazing how many of you guys were so stoked back then, only now to throw stones at him.

:rolleyes:

Despite all the speculation, I would still be surprised if Rudi were cut or traded. Did Chris Perry learn to pick up a blitz yet? James Johnson hasn't done anything in the NFL and D3 won his Super Bowl ring on teams. But little this team does surprises me any longer.