Palmer's nose is broken

TJJackson

By Mark Curnutte

Palmer, who sustained a bloody nose and cut lip Saturday night when sacked in the loss to New Orleans, had a little bit more wrong with him than the Bengals first released.

This afternoon, the Bengals said Palmer had a procedure done to align a cracked bone in his nose and would be listed as questionable (50-50 chance he'd play) Thursday night at Indianapolis in the preseason finale. Look for Ryan Fitzpatrick to start at quarterback.

Coach Marvin Lewis said Palmer is not even listed on the injury report for the regular season opener Sept. 7 at Baltimore. In other words, Palmer will start against the Ravens two weeks from today.

"Carson is feeling fine," Lewis said in a statement released by the club. "He suffered a small crack in one of the nose bones. The bone was gently put back into place this morning under local anesthetic."

The Bengals medical staff reported that the procedure took less than 10 minutes.

Palmer was sacked three times by the Saints and once by the Lions in the previous preseason game. Detroit defenders also hit him four other times when he dropped back to pass.

Palmer left the field a few seconds before the first half ended Saturday night. He had a towel over his head and was bleeding from his nose and mouth when he walked down the Bengals sideline toward the locker room.

He was supposed to play the first series of the third quarter, Lewis said.

Let's talk about the positives. It's not a broken finger, hand, wrist, foot or leg. Carson should think about wearing a fach shield. He needs all the protection that he can get because the line isn't protecting him. Most lines take it as an insult when their QB get's sacked, or hurt. Our guys look at it as, well, I'm still getting my paycheck!

I don't know... I Watched a couple different versions of Highlights on NFL.com. I didn't feel like the O-Line played that bad. They weren't stellar - but much of the pressure came on overload blitzes. More pass-rushers than blockers. This means that even if Palmer only has 2 seconds to see it... someone is open. This is shown on one play where a blitzing LB comes untouched toward Palmer, but it was because Utecht came off the line for a pass. Palmer found him completely uncovered... 1st down.

But in the play where he broke his nose, Willie got beat outside, Perry made a block on a LB, and it left Kaesviharn with a hole the size of Ohio to run directly at Palmer. Carson had almost no time to see the field... but it didn't seem like it mattered. Based on what I could see, there was no one to throw it to... and that's not the O-Line's fault. When there are 7 people rushing the QB, the WR's and TE's need to be wide open. That wasn't the case, so Palmer took one to the nose.

But the O-Line really looked okay for most of the plays that I saw. Palmer had time and found receivers. Perhaps the O-Line needs to do a better job of picking up blitzers. Maybe RB's and TE's need to be better at pass blocking on Safeties, Maybe Palmer needs to recognize blitzers pre-snap and know that he's going to have get rid of the ball quickly on a slant route... but honestly, I didn't think the O-Line looked all that terrible.

There is a problem, but it's clear that it's only present when they are bringing overload blitzes. I think this film will help figure out what needs to happen with blocking assignments... but perhaps it will be slightly less of a problem if Housh, Chad, and Rudi come back.

I don't know... I Watched a couple different versions of Highlights on NFL.com. I didn't feel like the O-Line played that bad. They weren't stellar - but much of the pressure came on overload blitzes. More pass-rushers than blockers. This means that even if Palmer only has 2 seconds to see it... someone is open. This is shown on one play where a blitzing LB comes untouched toward Palmer, but it was because Utecht came off the line for a pass. Palmer found him completely uncovered... 1st down.

But in the play where he broke his nose, Willie got beat outside, Perry made a block on a LB, and it left Kaesviharn with a hole the size of Ohio to run directly at Palmer. Carson had almost no time to see the field... but it didn't seem like it mattered. Based on what I could see, there was no one to throw it to... and that's not the O-Line's fault. When there are 7 people rushing the QB, the WR's and TE's need to be wide open. That wasn't the case, so Palmer took one to the nose.

But the O-Line really looked okay for most of the plays that I saw. Palmer had time and found receivers. Perhaps the O-Line needs to do a better job of picking up blitzers. Maybe RB's and TE's need to be better at pass blocking on Safeties, Maybe Palmer needs to recognize blitzers pre-snap and know that he's going to have get rid of the ball quickly on a slant route... but honestly, I didn't think the O-Line looked all that terrible.

There is a problem, but it's clear that it's only present when they are bringing overload blitzes. I think this film will help figure out what needs to happen with blocking assignments... but perhaps it will be slightly less of a problem if Housh, Chad, and Rudi come back.

:jawdrop:

just kidding...wait a minute, no I'm not.

To paraphrase The Longest Yard (and not the Adam Sandler version)...I think they broke his freakin' nose.

To paraphrase The Longest Yard (and not the Adam Sandler version)...I think they broke his freakin' nose.

That's fine. Make fun... but they brought 7 on that play. Only 6 blockers when you count Perry... Someone should have been open right away. I'm not saying it was excusable. Willie got beat, and Bobbie probably should have taken on the LB allowing Perry to take on Kaesviharn... but that's easy to say after watching it over and over. I just don't think the O-Line play is as bad as people are saying.

Yes, they broke his nose. And yes, I hope it motivates them... but there were plenty of times that Palmer had all day to throw.

That's fine. Make fun... but they brought 7 on that play. Only 6 blockers when you count Perry... Someone should have been open right away. I'm not saying it was excusable. Willie got beat, and Bobbie probably should have taken on the LB allowing Perry to take on Kaesviharn... but that's easy to say after watching it over and over. I just don't think the O-Line play is as bad as people are saying.

Yes, they broke his nose. And yes, I hope it motivates them... but there were plenty of times that Palmer had all day to throw.

Dude, I'm not making fun. They broke his God*&^% nose and that is the o-line's fault! The Bengals allowed four sacks and that is the o-line's fault! The running game picked up 2.2 yards per carry and that's the o-line's fault! The Bengals ended every series with a punt. Guess what? Everybody's fault, including the o-line that you think didn't play that bad. Never mind the stupid little false start penalties that has always plagued Bengals' o-lines inexcusably.

There is nothing funny about this. If that broken nose doesn't light a fire under those five guys, we are a 4-12 team.

They broke his God*&^% nose and that is the o-line's fault!

Uh, no. That was on Utecht for not picking up K2.

FWIW derek I agree with you, but rational discussion is verboten these days...

Kirkendall has a good breakdown here:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2008/8/24/60024...er-review-docum

They broke his God*&^% nose and that is the o-line's fault!

Uh, no. That was on Utecht for not picking up K2.

FWIW derek I agree with you, but rational discussion is verboten these days...

Kirkendall has a good breakdown here:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2008/8/24/60024...er-review-docum

The o-line allowed four sacks, including the one that got Palmer's nose broken. Utecht missed a pick up. Others on the line missed pick ups all night. The o-line kept getting shoved backwards, stayed on their heels all night, look lethargic and did not play a good game. Period.

Sorry, I missed your retort about the other three sacks, the ten failed series and the 2.2 YPC. Yeah, o-line looked in season shape. No worries. We're ready to rock.

Great, so as long as the other team doesn't blitz, the Bengals' will be ok? ;)

Every team we face is going to stunt/blitz right up the middle. And that's on top of the many times Guy-check will just plain get beat on a one on one bullrush. He got manhandled last night. But it wasn't the passing plays that stood out to me. He was incredibly ineffective on running plays. He just got thrown down. We need help in the middle.

I can't back it up with statistics or anything, but to the naked eye it appears Chris Perry has lost the tremendous burst that made him effective. He is servicable. Kenny Watson should get a lot of carries.

Also, my wife put me on 24 hour suicide watch after last night's game. We just got humiliated. To have a personnel misplay like KK's departure come back to bite you in the ass, in the form of the left hand he landed on Carson's proboscis, was almost too much to take. Thanks god the Ravens are in complete disarray. We can at least open the season with a win.

At least Vijay won the Barclays today. That took a lot of the sting out (for me only, I'm sure).

To have a personnel misplay like KK's departure come back to bite you in the ass, in the form of the left hand he landed on Carson's proboscis, was almost too much to take.

BTW, I couldn't tell how he got hurt but if he did hit him in the nose with his hand, wouldn't that be a blow to the head and/or a facemask?

I don't like to play the conspiracy theory game but you got to wonder what they see out there sometime. It seems like every game there is something a little flaky called by the refs that goes against us. They say it evens out but I am not so sure I buy that.

Let's talk about the negatives... Our O-line appears so suck worse than advertised and there are 16 games !!!

They better get their sh*t together !!!

WHODEY !!!

Man and I think ex-Bengal """KK""" did the dirty deed.... :o

Are you being facetious or just stupid? (I'm hoping the former) I never said that the Bengals couldn't beat a blitz. I simply said that if a defense brings more defenders than there are blockers, that someone has to be open and Palmer has to be able to get rid of it quickly.

Sometimes Palmer will get sacked. This line isn't going to go down in history as he best of all time. But I do think it is adequate. Problems at Center are disconcerting, but my point remains. On most plays, Palmer had time to throw. On most plays that he didn't have time, he got rid of it right away. There are problems... but I think they are very correctable. Assignments need to be picked up... mostly by RB's and TE's. But you know what? Sometimes a defender makes a good play. Sometimes even a good O-Line gets beat.

Anyway, all of that to say, I'm not really all that worried. I think this O-Line will play up to most of your standards this season and the hand wringing will settle down after week 1.

Anyway, all of that to say, I'm not really all that worried. I think this O-Line will play up to most of your standards this season and the hand wringing will settle down after week 1.

I agree wholehearted with you on this one. We have no expectations at this point and the o-line will meet that expectation.

Are you being facetious or just stupid? (I'm hoping the former) I never said that the Bengals couldn't beat a blitz. I simply said that if a defense brings more defenders than there are blockers, that someone has to be open and Palmer has to be able to get rid of it quickly.

Sometimes Palmer will get sacked. This line isn't going to go down in history as he best of all time. But I do think it is adequate. Problems at Center are disconcerting, but my point remains. On most plays, Palmer had time to throw. On most plays that he didn't have time, he got rid of it right away. There are problems... but I think they are very correctable. Assignments need to be picked up... mostly by RB's and TE's. But you know what? Sometimes a defender makes a good play. Sometimes even a good O-Line gets beat.

That's fine if you want to continue thinking that, but I think you're glossing over things such as Andrews and Guy-chick routinely getting beat, missed assignments, and a group that is not only unprepared, but not very good. Carson barely had time to throw - 1 or 2 times doesn't count. He got SACKED 3 TIMES IN THE FIRST HALF AND IS OUT THIS WEEK WITH A BROKEN FACE.

Chris Perry is garbage.

I don't know what else to tell you, the 0-line being bad is not an aberration, they're awful, lazy and slow, and poorly coached/prepared, just wait and watch and you'll see. The Bengals' do NOTHING to try and shore up weakenesses in the off-season, and refuse to spend money on anyone who can't play tackle naturally - it's insanity.

I'm not going to burden the head-in-the-sand fans here this year, promise, but just wanted to get that out now.

I will also make a bet that Palmer doesn't make it through this season, and that it alone will give the lemmings an excuse for another sub-500 season.

You're surprisingly optimistic after watching our team get their asses handed to them by a mediocre defensive unit. Should the o-line get the blame for Palmer getting sacked on blitzes? Not fully. Palmer and/or Girl-check should be seeing blitzes and making protection adjustments for them prior to the snap. However, you can't absolve the line of blame for the pathetic running game. Our running backs had nowhere to go. Levi was beaten many times and Girl-check was manhandled by any defender who stepped in front of him. Why he's still a starter is beyond me. He may get the best of Thornton in practice, but who doesn't?

You're surprisingly optimistic after watching our team get their asses handed to them by a mediocre defensive unit. Should the o-line get the blame for Palmer getting sacked on blitzes? Not fully. Palmer and/or Girl-check should be seeing blitzes and making protection adjustments for them prior to the snap. However, you can't absolve the line of blame for the pathetic running game. Our running backs had nowhere to go. Levi was beaten many times and Girl-check was manhandled by any defender who stepped in front of him. Why he's still a starter is beyond me. He may get the best of Thornton in practice, but who doesn't?

"Mediocre"? The Saints were 13th vs. the run in yards and 3rd overall in the league in points given up on the ground last season. Where they sucked was against the pass, a weakness the Bengals couldn't exploit because we had no one to catch the ball.

Same offensive line, same offense, but without the same receivers this could be the reason for all of the pressure. If guys aren't where they're supposed to be etc.... With that being said TJ faking his injury while his QB is getting murdered is unforgivable.

Which is going to lead to the same worthless running game and the same issues Palmer had last year with his erratic throwing at times. I saw today on ESPN, Rudi is listed as 31 out of 32 anticipated fantasy RBs. Doesn't mean a whole lot to reality, but who'd have thought that two years ago, or even last year?

I agree on TJ or anyone else that is nursing an 'injury', and I think Rudi may be in this category, potentially. Plus, if that lard butt Jeremi Johnson would get to work losing some weight, he isn't a bad fullback blocker by any means.

Nobody appears like they want to play...period.