Week 7: Bengals @ Browns

HoosierCat

Feels like this game should be similar to the Giants game, maybe?  4.5 points seems like a lot.   The Browns will be hearing it from their local media and fans all week, I'd expect some circling of the wagons and professional pride to kick in.   Also the return of Chubb to the field will give them a boost. 

Hopefully the crowd stays home and Bengal fans gobble up the tickets.     But the Bengals just won ugly and have heard the Browns got their number talk for a while, so hopefully they can get a win and move on.

Just don't give the Browns locker room anything to rally around or against outside of Cleveland.   Tickets are cheap mid-week but not down to the factory of sadness levels.   If they hit that sub $50 range,  It will be tempting to make the drive.

I expect a tough grind it out game like the Giants.   Nice to see some good McKinney reps.   Hopefully Murphy and Ossai can come close to the QB at some point this season.

17 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Eh, its fun to laugh at the Browns.   So good read.    IMO, nothing beats the rise and fall of Johnny Football.  His star burnt so HOT and fast its a blip in the Battle of Ohio, but one of the best chapters.   Also hard to beat the Bud Light refrigerators  that wouldn't open until the Browns won a game.

Since the return in 1999 fans and journalists have trumpeted numerous things that the Browns were doing that was going to usher in a dynasty of Browns dominance.   Then they shit all over it when it fails.    Fan/Journalist opinion is about the same quality these days.    Just remember when the current mess is torn down and they start rebuilding and the hype rolls again.    It wasn't long ago some Browns homer posed as a journalist was telling you the Watson contract was genius and would doom Baltimore and Cincinnati, Browns were playing Chess, and Ravens/Bengals playing checkers.

Been a long time since they won up in Cleveland and it'd be nice to get that monkey off Burrow and Zac's back.

9 hours ago, Stripes said:

Some encouraging signs for M. Jackson at NT. It's not perfect, but he was getting better push or penetration than Z. Carter ever did playing out of position.

I the love hustle and pursuit aspect these clips show.    Those are going to be important factors if the division still features Jackson, Fields, and Watson.  Youth and guys that can run and chase.

I have seen the Bengals be mentioned in a couple places about a potential trading partner for Hasson Reddick from the Jets.
No real truth to the thought, just speculation.  I can't say as I would mind seeing them make a swing to add some additional pass rush to this defense.
Myles Murphy has contributed ZERO to this defense at this point and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think Hubbard has much left.
He has a role, but apparently it isn't getting to the QB.

Warning flags flew for me with Myles Murphy from TC.   Before injuries to Sample etc. he was running with the scrubs.   So was Battle.   Battle is now getting more and more snaps.    I just don't have a whole lot of expectation for Murphy he really needs to step it up.

Reddick would be a interesting option but he wants a new contract and that might cause some internal issues considering Trey Hendrickson is woefully underpaid.   I'd also kick the tries on Max Crosby. 

Doubt any of this happens but its extremely difficult defending Lamar Jackson with all the trapping/counters they do.  You need a solid rotation of guys that can just run and chase to slow these QBs down.   It'd be nice to have a pass rusher but really you want guys that can mush rush, maintain a lane and then pursue.   Getting into the backfield is almost a negative with these type of QBs. 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have seen the Bengals be mentioned in a couple places about a potential trading partner for Hasson Reddick from the Jets.

Didn’t I tell you to stop listening to that hobo out back of the Cheesecake Factory?

Browns were back loading a lot of extensions right before and after the Watson deal.   It was an apparent "all in" play.   Didn't go the Browns way.   Will be interesting to see how deep and fast the fire sale goes.     Cooper $31m dead cap.     I sure as hell hope they trade Garrett out of the conference or to us.

Also funny Bills vs. Jets.   Jets get Adams; Bills counter with Cooper.

Wonder if they'll roll  Chubb out there in a lost season with his recovery. 

• Like 1

Browns admins are all in on analytics, it’s their whole thing.  I wonder if there is a theory or a method for what happens when none of your analytics-based moves work out.  

I guess we’re seeing it unfold?  You just stubbornly keep playing your bust players until they get better or their contracts are up.  Wait I just described Mike Brown.

Id be happy to give up our r3 pick next year plus Sample (the DE, not the crazylegs TE) or Ossai (who I still like, btw, even tho some of you see him as a bust) for Garrett

Happy doesnt quite describe it, tho......maybe.......mind blowingly ecstatic?

(aside: I have no idea if guys on IR can be traded)

Garrett would represent $56m dead cap.     His base salary is nothing there's some option bonus's for the next 2 seasons.   Probably could get him cheap if your willing to take on some the cash due to him from the Browns.    There's like 4 voidable years that has him counting $71m against their cap.    Browns were playing chess alright.