General 2024 Training Camp Thread

1. Don't like the Bears all orange.  Hope the Bengals all orange looks better.   Bear's all orange whenever they break them out is horrible.

2. Teair Tart - Sign me up.  Wanted him this off season.  However,  if you go back and check through the game day threads on the various Bengal boards.   He dropped "the peoples elbow" on the back of Karra's neck during the last Titan v Bengals match up.    It would have topped any Vontez Burfict cheap shot.   I'm surprised it hasn't more coverage but anyway some the scuttle butt after his FA visit  about why they didn't sign him was personality.  

3. Didn't like the Mims pick at the time.  Just didn't like the Bengals taking a lightly played OT based on their recent history of busts along taking the 5th,6th,7th tackle off the board when your 1st CB was there.    Loved what I saw of him at camp and the feedback on camp reports.   Hopefully he's back soon and can pick it up.

4. I think Bengals are practicing with the Bears this week.  Not shocked the starters won't play in the game.   All meaningful work will take place out of sight from fans.    Which again makes preseason games more of a bullshit money grab.  

5. I also believe Cody Ford got the "swing" tackle reps last year during regular season games.  I think all his preseason snaps came at guard this past Saturday.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Kirkland has the capability of having a great camp, as has been reported.
What would surprise me is him having a healthy camp that lasts into the regular season.
Once upon a time the thought was he was a first round talent at the OT position when injuries hit.
Unfortunately for him, the injuries kept taking shots at him when he was already down.

He fell to undrafted status and has not been able to work his way to a backup spot, let alone starter.
I'm rooting like hell for him though because if he stays healthy, he's probably better than some of the guys ahead of him.

The only fans that should bitch about the preseason are the ones buying season tickets.
They get charged full price and basically have to give them away if they can't go.  I love the preseason. 
My son and I got tickets for us to go to the two home preseason games for cheaper than parking for one game.
You get to watch the backups and young guys who might not otherwise get many snaps during the regular season.
Hang out at the stadium and watch a game not caring if your team wins or loses.  I'm good with that !!

2 hours ago, COB said:

Brad Robbins injured his leg in practice.  

Hip actually but yeah, sucks.

Browning out with a rib injury.

Chase a no show at practice, possible contract situation escalation.

All I know is this Ja’Marr Chase kid is pretty good and I’d like him to stick around. 

Maybe cut Carman, give that nearly two million to Chase for this year with a guarantee his long term deal will come after 2024.

That might be far fetched and probably speaks more to my dislike for Carman. Still…

I'm not worried about J'mar Chase at this point.   Won't start get worried until he or his camp goes public about missing regular season games.    Maybe his absent from yesterday's camp is a prelude to that.   Who knows?

Hard to have a take either way.   Don't know what has been offered.  Don't know what has been asked. 

If a "hold in" produces a long term deal for Chase prior to the season.  I wouldn't really give a fuck about him missing whatever training camp time. 

Kirkland working out to be a competent back up or fringe starter would be welcomed.   I remain skeptical.   They thought similar about Adeniji and removed all obstacles for him to start various spots.  He was low tier at all of them.  Then one day last year.   Whelp we were wrong, Adeniji goodbye.    Just speaks to the disaster the O-line has been and maybe the questionable talent evaluation going on.

Adeniji hurts his chest.  Comes back gets a ticket to the starting line up at RG.  Plays horrible.   Next year back up but then gets starting job at RT once La'el gets injured.  Keep in mind they elected to start La'el off 2 summer practices.   La'el played horrible to start the year.  Adeniji played  horrible at RT as a back up.     Then next TC, they cut him and keep the players they benched in favor of him.   Weird.

Kirkland.  Again, I hope the hype works out.  But they added tackles in front of him and started him inside for a reason.   The question or doubt is Pollack.   Remember Pollack started Price as a rookie over a clearly better option in Hopkins.

That OL has been disaster for so long, hopefully they can string together a competent starting 5 for most of the year.  Just tired of hearing these rags to riches late round finds that have never panned out under Pollack.

Agreed about the o-line.  Like I said as well, Kirkland remaining healthy would be more of a shocker than anything.
His potential has always been there, but I will play the doubting Thomas until he makes the team and stays healthy.
No hype there, so no disappointment when it doesn't happen.

Yeah, I don't really have much to say about Chase either.  I have no idea and to be honest, I kind of like it that way.
No talk from the team, no talk from the player, no talk from the agent.  He's at practices, so it's not like he's just absent.
If we find out he got an extension before the start of the season then great.  If not, great.  Either way he isn't going anywhere.

I guess my only real take is that paying him a tick above $1 million for 2024 is absurd. 
However, if players make first round money and suck, no one is coming after them to give money back.
That would be unheard of.  If the Bengals could recoup some of the "suckage money" from failed picks, they'd be set.

Just sign Chase...

Chase is actually making almost $5 million this season; Schefter conveniently left out his roster bonus in his now infamous rant. The bengals have also picked up the fifth year option, which is a fully guaranteed (almost) $22 million.  So sure you can argue he’s underpaid atm but it’s not like he needs to busk on the street corner after games to make ends meet.

I just assume Ben Baby and ESPN are just being the agent's voice.    Chase has $26m coming to him and its all basically guaranteed.    

The issue for Chase is the AJ Green situation.   AJ and the Bengals were close to an extension that would be close to the Julio Jones contract.    Then AJ tore up something lower body in practice.    It was constant is he going to play or isn't he that entire season.

I think the Bengals gifted him the franchise tag the following year that put $18m in his pocket but AJ being on that practice field cost him some money.   He was never the same most national reporters when spouting off "cheap Bengals" will never give them credit for franchising AJ.   He was done and no other team would have paid that amount to him for a singular season, IMO.

Chase has $26m in his pocket now.   Risk he doesn't suffer a bad injury or sever down turn in production over the next two seasons and he could at least expect another $25m with a franchise tag.    I don't blame him for sitting out because a new deal would surely land $80m in his pocket for those same 3 seasons.  Talking about a difference of $30m at least. 

Don't really blame Bengals either at this point.   Chase has never produced more than 1,600 yards and he's under realistic control for 3 seasons and substantial less cash ($30m).

• Like 1

When the top guys are near or at $30m per year and Chase expecting that, that's 3 years and a potential windfall of $90m.
Talking about $50m isn't exactly something I'd be thrilled with either.  You know, if I were a top end NFL player.

Since I'm not, I really like Hamburger Helper !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

When the top guys are near or at $30m per year and Chase expecting that, that's 3 years and a potential windfall of $90m.
Talking about $50m isn't exactly something I'd be thrilled with either.  You know, if I were a top end NFL player.

Since I'm not, I really like Hamburger Helper !!

with ground beef hitting 5 dollars a pound or more, best you start liking the helper without the hamburger

• Haha 1

ESPN has a really good piece by Ben Solak on the ongoing Aiyuk drama in SF that provides some sort of global context to the whole WRs-getting-paid storyline this year here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40855012/brandon-aiyuk-contract-49ers-trade-wr-steelers-pay-contract-extension

One point that caught my eye is right up front:

Contextualizing the greatness of an NFL receiver presents a much bigger challenge than you might expect. The position is oversaturated with talent, which warps our perspective.

Here's an example: The 15th-best quarterback in the league is someone like Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff; the 15th-best pass rusher is someone like Alex Highsmith or Rashan Gary. But the 15th-best wide receiver is closer to Mike Evans, who has produced 10 consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, or Amari Cooper, who just had 1,250 receiving yards on the Browns' quarterback carousel last season. That's how good the position is. When Jeremy Fowler surveyed league personnel for their ranking of the top 10 wide receivers, a total of 29 names got at least one vote. The cream of the receiver crop has never been richer.

I'm gonna go ahead and be the one to say it. Fine, Chase, you think you're the shit? Go whistle. We'll give your money to Tee and draft a guy.

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I'm gonna go ahead and be the one to say it. Fine, Chase, you think you're the shit? Go whistle. We'll give your money to Tee and draft a guy.

Mike will adopt this verbatim.  Might leave out the part about giving Ja’Marr’s money to Tee, but other than that he’s all in with this.

• Haha 1

Frank Pollack’s greatest ability is that he is not named Jim Turner.  That dude set the bar so low that Pollack came in here, throws up on himself year after year, and we’re all like, “yes, ok, Pollack knows his shit, it’s coming around.”

Hint: it never comes around.  I think Pollack will serve up more of the same this year, and that’ll probably be it for him.

15 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

ESPN has a really good piece by Ben Solak on the ongoing Aiyuk drama in SF that provides some sort of global context to the whole WRs-getting-paid storyline this year here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40855012/brandon-aiyuk-contract-49ers-trade-wr-steelers-pay-contract-extension

One point that caught my eye is right up front:

I haven't reached that point with Chase.   But yes, there will be approx 20-25 WRs taken in the top 150 in next year's draft class.    If you look at highschool recruiting rankings there are way more 4 and 5 star prospects entering college.

Basically the WR market is flooded.    That point supports the view of not paying WRs and especially 2 WRs.   

I think if you peal the onion back while there seems to be a huge supply of guys that can run and catch at an all-pro level in t-shirts.  That number so far has dwindle when the pads come on and the bullet fly.

Also WRs are getting paid as the cap grows.         

• Like 1

I'll probably always be in the camp of first preference of paying Chase and Higgins through Burrow's 2nd deal.   I expect/hope Burrow to be good enough to basically play through a 3rd deal.      The Bengals have landed two top end performers, proven.   They know it works.  

At some point IF you draft good players you are going to have to say goodbye to someone as contracts come up and a greater percentage of "unknown" in spots.    You know it Burrow/Chase/Higgins gets you in the Superbowl talk with a horrible o-line and bend but don't break D.

Again, regardless of what happens, Chase will be in the starting line up come week one.

Hopefully, he and Burrow are still finding time to pass and catch together even if away from practice.

I don't think there's any good reason to NOT extend Chase.  The guy is clearly a top end talent and you don't draft a guy that high, get the production you expect when investing the draft capital in him, and then let him walk away.  Him leaving would not only impact the offense as a whole, but my bigger concern would be how would that impact Burrow's thoughts.  He would give the good team answer, but I think that would piss him off pretty good. Why do that?  They are an elite combo.

I assume Chase wants to beat JJ deal.   How do the Bengals beat or match a JJ deal a year earlier than JJ without Chase producing a season that beats a JJ top season?  

Have no idea if Chase is willing to take a medium deal to give him more security or if its all or nothing.   If its all or nothing then I guess he's either playing on a current contract or holding out as long as he can.

Its a tough thing to ask for that type of contract a year earlier than JJ got it and not even have beaten his best year.

Assuming of course that's what is being asked.

Justin Jefferson played 4 years with 2 of them being over 1,600 yards.  Chase has had 1 season over 1,400.