Round 7 (237): Matt Lee, C, Miami

• HoosierCat changed the title to Round 7 (237): Matt Lee, C, Miami

(Pinches nose) JFC you people do know how the draft works, right? Sevens are just UDFAs the team would like to not have to compete for. Kid is a perfectly cromulent developmental guy who, like every other seventh round pick, probably won’t amount to anything, but who knows? Last time I checked, Karras any getting any younger and his deal is up soon. This guy is probably not the answer but may as well take a shot.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

Has the functional strength to hold up against the bull rush, and Lee shows exceptionally quick and precise hands. 

Fundamentally sound and understands blocking angles, using body positioning to his advantage. Disciplined awareness and good intelligence.

Quick-footed with smooth movement skills to cover a large area. Rangy with above average lateral ability. Bursts off the snap and sets up quickly with little wasted motion.

Consistently keeps his feet sliding while maintaining power when dealing with speed, often sending speed rushers flying past the pocket

Lee may not be a top-end mauler, but he has some unique traits in the run game and could probably transition to a guard spot if necessary. 

Long enough to provide some position versatility, potentially capable of holding up at guard or even at right tackle.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Matthew-Lee-OL-UCF

My point exactly. Glad he's here if for no other reason than what they currently have is horrendous.
A 7th round rookie coming in with a real opportunity to leave camp as the #2 is beyond bad.
I'm wishing him luck, but I hate this situation.

13 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Goodberry loved this pick called it a steal where they got him at. 

He is absolutely a steal. 55-game starter with great technique and functional strength. Absolutely doesn’t give up sacks. Biggest issue was his weight at the East west game, 288, but he played in Miami at 301 so I don’t think it’s a big concern. Give him a year to buff his run blocking and he will be good to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

So according to PFF he is the highest graded center coming out this year, crazy he was still there to take. 

The two main objections appear to be the aforementioned weight issue and that he was viewed as a pure center. Most of the centers who went higher like JPJ were also seen as potential guards. I think Lee could surprise in camp but most likely ends up ticketed for the taxi squad, at least to start the year.