Round 3 (80): Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama

• HoosierCat changed the title to Round 3 (80): Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama

I looked at the 2nd round pick as right position wrong player

I look at this one as just simply wrong, period

First and foremost, again, they should have been looking to trade up to get a good player at a greater position of need.  Beebe would have been excellent here, for example

Second, there is no need to take a receiver this year, and certainly not with an early pick.  As I said, no WR taken, even with a spectacular showing in camp and/or preseason, would have risen above WR3, and I'd say even that is highly unlikely

I will admit that the RAS is good

but I think character and effort issues are gonna hold him back

D-

{shrug}

I have been looking into the guys we drafted a little more and if there is one thing that will hold Burton back from more plays, it's Charlie Jones.
I think many people see new WR and automatically pencil him in as the #3 WR.  I don't think that's a given by any stretch.

If nothing else, Chase, Higgins, Iosivas, Jones and Burton look like a pretty amazing 1-5 to me.
Add Irwin to that mix and your WR corps is already set unless they go 7 deep to start the season.
Anyone else is simply jockeying for practice squad spots.

• Like 1

1-9 spots are spoken for in terms of snaps.   5OL, 1 Qb, 1RB, Chase, Higgins.     The remaining 2 are formation battles.   Sample is going to have his spot.  I don't know if we'll see alot of 2 RB.  Gesicki will be on the field.   Then Iosivas, Jones, Burton.     The Bengals are really going to have to convert 3rd downs and get the total plays up in the 70s for guys to get targets.

The drain of Burrow's calf injury on every offensive's skill players production doesn't get talked about but in the first 6 games they multiple games under 60 plays.  If they can't snap the ball there will be all sorts of bad hot takes about so and so being a bust or whatever.

I love Steve Smith and his evaluations of WR's, along with the big picture perspective.

In the below video, they talk about where the top WR's went and their fit within the team's system.
They hit on Burton towards the end.  Skip forward to the 1 hour 17 minute mark for their take on Burton with the Bengals.
Really good listen from this group and Steve's take on Higgins as well.  Some info I never gave thought to.
It's a really good watch and Burton gets about 6 minutes of the conversation.

• Like 1