Round 2 (49): Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

And it’s Jenkins. Fine with the position but feels like they are chasing needs and unfortunately picking at the end of runs.

Judging from their comments post pick.   They considered a trade up to get Newton but the price was too heavy.   Then sat on pins and needles hoping Jenkins didn't get picked.

It sounds like Newton and Jenkins were their prime targets. 

• Like 1

FWIW Joe did do a film breakdown on Jenkins (starts at around the 23:30 mark), but this was pre-combine and pre-FA, so I don’t know if the workouts improved his opinion. Had him as a third rounder.

This pick is a case of right position, wrong player

As I said last night, the Bengals should have been working out what pick number the more desirable candidates would likely be picked, and trading just ahead of one of those slots

but they didnt

by sticking to their pick number, they ended up reaching for a decent player instead of getting a good one, especially after that run on DTs just a bit ahead of them.  They reached for this player because of this run on DTs.  But I think they had to because (again) they werent proactive and there weren't many good DTs left

The RAS is fairly good

I dont see any durability knocks on this guy, which is good

Seems to be a much better run defender than pass rusher, which isnt so good in this passing league

He also seems a little underweight for his height - needs to put on at least 15 pounds of muscle before the season, preferably more, and even more that that if he is going to be used primarily as a run stopper, which is likely

Grade C-

{shrug}

• 2 weeks later...

I just read a blurb about this pick.  Supposedly Lou was targeting Jenkins all along, claims he was sweating it as defensive guys started going off the board in the second round.  

And the article claimed that based on whatever advanced metrics NASA or the Manhattan Project came up with that the NFL uses to evaluate such things - Jenkins grades in the 98th percentile in run stop rate.  Which seems really good. 

Jenkins is...fine. Heaven knows the Bengals can use any and all help against the run, and between Jenkins and McKinnley they should be better.

That said, they clearly had Murphy and Newton ranked ahead of Jenkins. Likely Sweat too. My take is that this was a rerun of round 1, just on the d-line. In the first they were locked in on OT and whoever the best tackle left on their board was when 18 rolled around, that was the pick. Same in the second, they were just locked in on DT.

I think they had Jenkins on their board fairly high.   They've taken 3 Michigan players with significant picks 3 years in a row.  

I think Jenkins will prove to be a better pass rusher than his draft profile indicates.     

The ability to pursue from the down lineman position reminds of Tim Krumrie and J. Smith.   Just relentless pursuit of the ball carrier.

• Like 1

I was holding out hope they would get Sweat in the 2nd.  I was hoping they wouldn't pass on him even with the DUI.
He may be a big partier, drink more than he needs, and look like the 2nd coming of cookie dough.
However, none of that kept him from becoming a 1st team All-American and winning the Outland Trophy for the best interior defensive lineman, all while playing next to Byron Murphy at Texas, who went in the first round.

He might turn out to be a drunken bust, but as always, it only takes one team.
It should be interesting to see what he does in Tennessee and what Brian Callahan gets out of him.

Jenkins?  Yeah, he wasn't my top choice, but if measures up to half of what is said about him, we should be good.
I love his attitude as well.  Seems like a pretty down to earth kid who really likes to ball.
His nickname at Michigan was the "Mutant".  Nice...

• Like 1