Week 8: Bengals @ 49ers Game Thread

HoosierCat

49 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Stripes… you took the words right out of my mouth. Anything but a backup QB !!!

At least he’s not a rookie backup QB.  If Darnd gets knocked out of the game and we have to face backup practice squad QB, that’s when you know we lose for sure.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Darnold isn't a pushover but yeah, this is an opportunity they absolutely need to capitalize on. 

Yeah, not sure I would call any QB in the NFL a pushover, but to your point Hoosier, this is a situation that the Bengals need to take advantage of.
Just bring consistent pressure and bottle up McCaffery. 

• Like 1

I'd rather face the struggling starter and a OC thats calling the game in a manner that assumes the struggling starter will eventually rebound.   See our own Joe Burrow. 

Maybe Purdy would have gotten out of his funk vs. the Bengals.  Maybe not.    Now the 9er focus will be back to basics and protect the QB more.   They can pound the rock well enough.   Bengals offense must put the ball in the air and beat them over the head with Chase/Higgins and put scoring pressure on them.   Otherwise the 9ers will just circle the wagons and eventually get enough from McAffery and Co. to squeak out a home win.

Although Purdy wasn't as bad as Zac Wilson, but I would have rather faced him vs. Mike White (???) two years ago.    Instead our defense just allowed to them to dink and dunk and the offense sputtered a little and they got the "L" on the road to a back up.

By the way many thought the season was over after that weekend and especially after the next weekend.    It wasn't and it won't be this weekend either.    I think its going to be tough to win out there.

But the Smith play against the Bengals provides something that Darnold can glean from and provide him a proton pack in case any ghosts start showing up. This offense thrives with staying on schedule. And when it is time to drop back, you might as well have Bill Belichick’s “do your job” mantra screaming through the quarterback’s brain. A smart play like a checkdown is a great way to get on base as a quarterback, rather than try to tilt the shoulder back and swing for the fence every single time.

The way I look at it.  Its Zac and Burrow's job to put scoring pressure on the 9ers so eventually "staying on schedule" isn't adequate enough and then hopefully force some late mistakes.    If the Bengals can't move the ball, grind out first downs and points then the 9ers regardless of QB will just dump it off.   Punt if they have to and play ball for another time.

At least with Purdy we avoid the backup who jumps in and catches lightning in a bottle.  That dynamic is all too familiar.  

I’m not putting the guy down, but if Purdy were a baseball player they’d say he was regressing toward the mean.  His play for a while there was extreme, just not realistic to think he’d be that player full time.  Now he’s coming back to earth a little (literally in one instance) and hopefully Lou has enough tape on him to devise a game plan to take advantage of whatever weaknesses are there.

Also, since I can’t go more than 30 days without bashing Marvin, it’s refreshing to note that we don’t have Marvin anymore, as he sucked coming off the bye week. 

Sad schedule fact - the bengals are first, with the most difficult schedule,  in remaining strength of schedule.

Look on the bright side schedule fact - 7 of the 9 teams ahead of us in the AFC playoff standings are on our remaining schedule.  

Peter King column in 3 sentences - “I’m guzzling coffee at some random place on my way to the airport.  I fondly recall my now-deceased golden retriever.  Mike Tomlin said something so simple yet so insightful, love that guy.”

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 8: Bengals @ 49ers Game Thread