2024 Draft Talking Points

I know I use to harp on linebackers for years and have backed off over the last couple.

This year we again, have Wilson, Pratt and ADG in the 1-3 roles.  However, we only have Heyward and Harper as backups.
Couple that with ADG and Heyward (who I'm not even sure if he's gotten snaps) both as free agents next year.
They could easily take a LB this year as well, which is a position not being discussed at all.
God help that position group if injuries hit the starters.  That closet is BARE !!

On 3/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Playing around with the mock drafts again, as I so enjoy doing and had this drop in my lap.

#18. - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
#49. - Byron Murphy, DT, Texas
#80. - Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
#97. - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
#116. - Brandon Coleman, OG, TCU
#149. - Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee
#194. - Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College
#214. - Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU
7th round...  who cares ??

Can I just send that to the Bengals now?

This mock will be fun to look at 5 years from now.     That's a haul right there.  Send it in.

My post FA thinking is....IF the Bengals thought 5,6,7 OTs were worthy of the 18th pick.  They wouldn't have signed a FA tackle.    There might be a couple OT names they'll consider at 18 but no way they are taking the 4th or 5th tackle off the board come draft day.   

Just some worthless thinking.

That may be the case AMPHAR and do not necessarily disagree with that line of thought.
There are a couple of things I think about when looking at the OT position.
Yes, the signed Trent Brown, but they only signed him to a 1 year deal and added him to the growing list (+30) of 2025 free agents.
When looking at the trends of 1st round OT's struggling their first year, maybe a year of learning is what the Bengals want?

When it comes to taking a lower ranked OT, I think it depends on whose evaluations and ratings we are talking about.
Obviously, we have no idea about the only one that matters and that's the Bengals.
That being said, when looking at mocks, I have consistently seen 8-9 OT names taken in the first round.
Those names interchange and I'm not suggesting 9 OT's go in the first round, only what I have seen for a couple of months.

For example, I personally think if JC Latham is on the board at #18, the Bengals would be foolish not to pick him at that spot.
However, I have seen two outlets recently which have him rated as the 6th best OT in the draft behind Mims.
Now, I don't agree with that thought, but we just never know.  There's always a player, two, or more that drop for some reason.

I can't wait to watch it unfold  in 4 weeks though !!

Dehner's first mock, from the Athletic. Big fan of 247!

Round 1 (18): Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon

Round 2 (49): Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

Round 3A (80): Mike Hall Jr., DT Ohio State

Round 3B (97): Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Round 4 (115): Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa

Round 5 (149): Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois

Round 6A (194): Drake Nugent, C, Michigan

Round 6B (214): Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Round 7A (224): Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State

Round 7B (247): Tory Taylor, P, Iowa

Bored. Went three rounds at pfn. Ignored trade offers.

18. Dallas Turner, edge, bama. Thus endth the Joseph Ossai era.

49. Sweat. Gotta plug up the middle s9 show.

80. Christian Mahogany, G, BC. A better Volson?

97. Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale. Has all the tools, but it’s a big step from the Ivy League.

• Like 1

I like yours Hoosier and honestly think Sweat from Texas, despite his poor athleticism scores, is the big run stuffer they would be wanting.

The one from Dehner ??
I pretty much hate.

Fuaga is good.
I have no problem with Roman Wilson, but we have 2-3 of him on the roster already.
I'm a Buckeyes fan and watched all of their games and I don't like Hall.  No.
Melton would be ok depending on who else was on the board.
The rest are throw away picks to me, minus maybe the punter from Iowa.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:29 PM, HoosierCat said:

Dehner's first mock, from the Athletic. Big fan of 247!

Round 1 (18): Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon

Round 2 (49): Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

Round 3A (80): Mike Hall Jr., DT Ohio State

Round 3B (97): Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

Round 4 (115): Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa

Round 5 (149): Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois

Round 6A (194): Drake Nugent, C, Michigan

Round 6B (214): Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Round 7A (224): Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State

Round 7B (247): Tory Taylor, P, Iowa

I would be happy with this.  Without knowing who's on the board in the 1st/2nd rounds.

Fuaga is my top OT hope IF they go that route.    Wilson has serious speed and that would be a plus getting that in the 2nd.  His numbers are probably reduced playing in Michigan's system.

Melton the same with speed.

Then two chances to get younger on the DT.   Boyd seems like a better need fit right now.  

Slow day again. Ended up at the PFN simulator. Silly as usual, but I'm sure TJ will approve:

18. JC Latham OT Alabama

49. Cooper Beebe OG Kansas State

80. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger OC Georgia

97. DeWayne Carter DT Duke

115. Maason Smith DT LSU

149. Jordan Jefferson DT LSU

194. Erick All TE Iowa

214. Edefuan Ulofoshio LB Washington

224. DeCamerion Richardson CB Mississippi State

237. Tory Taylor P Iowa

Okay, now for the most ridiculous mock ever. For this one, the rule was that any time a trade was proposed I had to take it (or pick one in the case of multiple offers). So I only picked when forced to, which meant I didn't select a player until the fourth round (and still got Sweat, lol). So here's Mike Brown's dream draft, 100% cheap rookies:

111. T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas

112. Jaden Hicks S Washington State

123. Cade Stover TE Ohio State

124. Maason Smith DT LSU

129. Jaylen Wright RB Tennessee

131. Cam Hart CB Notre Dame

132. Beaux Limmer OC Arkansas

135. Layden Robinson OG Texas A&M

150. Javon Baker WR UCF

157. Jonah Elliss EDGE Utah

167. Garret Greenfield OT South Dakota State

170. Tommy Eichenberg LB Ohio State

175. Gabe Hall DT Baylor

176. Isaac Guerendo RB Louisville

179. Caedan Wallace OT Penn State

182. Austin Reed QB Western Kentucky

199. Tory Taylor P Iowa

214. AJ Barner TE Michigan

215. Ainias Smith WR Texas A&M

2025 SEA 1st

2025 DEN 2nd

2025 NYJ 2nd

2025 SEA 2nd

2025 BUF 3rd

2025 DEN 3rd

2025 HOU 3rd

2025 MIN 3rd

2025 NYJ 3rd

2025 HOU 4th

2025 MIN 4th

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Slow day again. Ended up at the PFN simulator. Silly as usual, but I'm sure TJ will approve:

18. JC Latham OT Alabama

49. Cooper Beebe OG Kansas State

80. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger OC Georgia

97. DeWayne Carter DT Duke

115. Maason Smith DT LSU

149. Jordan Jefferson DT LSU

194. Erick All TE Iowa

214. Edefuan Ulofoshio LB Washington

237. Tory Taylor P Iowa

Love the first pick

get a TE sooner

get a developmental QB by round 5

2 DTs are sufficient, and both need to be NT/2I types

I think it's a strong draft. Probably one of the better ones just positionally across the board. It's a deep draft, except maybe for a couple of positions. But I think it's probably one of the better drafts that I've been around where if you're in the top 25, you're getting a player you would normally get in the top 10.

From Bengals.com Geoff convo with Bengals Director of Pro Scouting Steven Radicevic.

GH: You guys have been known to say the first round lasts for about 12 guys. This year, that's doubled?

SR: Exactly. That's how I personally view it. I feel like you're going get a guy you have a legitimate first-round grade on rather than in years past, where if you were between 18-25, you're going to get a guy you've got a second-round grade on.

I was all in on Newton, but that has changed drastically over the past month.
I would however still like the pick if he was coupled with a big run stuffer like Sweat.
Just not on his own.

Not a fan of Rice personally.  It would depend on what other WR's were still on the board.
There are bound to be (what I believe) to be much better prospects than him in the 3rd.

Love the Theo Johnson and Tory Taylor picks.  Agree with taking a DE in the later rounds as well.

I have been playing around on the Draft Networks new mock draft where you can enter a room and draft against other people in real time.  They have up to 10 people drafting for whatever team they choose and it's been a fun time killer.  Had one this morning I liked the way it turned out.

Traded down from #18 to #24 with Dallas, who selected OT Amarius Mims.  In return, I picked up their 2nd rounder, #56.

#24. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma (6'7, 322, RAS 9.72) - A true RT that doesn't need to start year one, but could.
#49. Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas St. (6'4, 322, RAS 9.27) - Experienced with starts at all o-line spots except center. PHYSICAL
#56. Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington (6'2, 204, RAS 8.83) - Dude should be ranked higher and would fit our offense.
#80. Payton Wilson, LB, NC St. (6.3, 233, RAS 9.88) - Falls due to injury concerns and age, but is a steal here. Love him.
#97. Maason Smith, DT, LSU (6'5, 306, RAS 8.38) - Big athletic run stuffer.  Fits in the rotation and provides solid depth.
#115. Theo Johnson, TE, Penn St. (6'6, 2.59, RAS 9.93) - I really like this kid and think he should go higher as well.
#149. Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College (6'1, 185, RAS 8.93) - Another player I really like.  I like the attitude and physicality.
Traded up from #194 to #177 with Minnesota and gave up a 2025 6th round pick.
#177. Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville (6'0, 221, RAS 9.9) - I don't really care for our RB depth and another kid I like a lot.
#214. Myles Cole, DE, Texas Tech (6'6, 278, RAS 9.93) - The late round DE I had mention earlier.  BIG TALL kid.
#224. Ryan Watts, S, Texas (6'2, 208, RAS 9.11) - Move from CB to safety and always in need of special teams guys.
#237. Tory Taylor, P, Iowa (6'3, 229, RAS ---) - Do I need to explain?

That's it, my final mock based on what I would love to see the team do in 3 weeks.
Can't wait to see who they actually add to the team !!  Christmas in April !!

• Like 1

Dont want Mims at all in any round  Frequently injured which has in turn led to lack of experience. Best ability is availability

If he were to somehow fall to round 5 or so due to no team wanting such an injury prone player, then sure, take a flyer

I dont like Guyton for pretty much the same reason. 

Gimme a guy who is available every week

I would have considered Joe Milton from Tennessee, but he came off the board.
Honestly though, it wouldn't surprise me to see them simply bring in an UDFA to fill the 3rd spot, so no harm really.

My trend throughout was athletic guys that seem to really love the game.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a quick three rounder on pff with the rule that I had to take BPA, regardless of position. The result:

18. CB Cooper DeJean (8)

49. WR Troy Franklin (29)

80. LB Junior Colson (71)

97. DE Javon Solomon (91)

The number after each name is where they were ranked on pff's big board.

Surprisingly, I don't hate it. DeJean and Franklin are both fantastic talents and absolute steals at 18 and 29, respectively. Colson is a three-down LB with elite coverage skills. Yeah, yeah, I know we have Wilson and Pratt and they both looked like shit last year. Solmon would need time to bulk up a bit but he's a situational sack machine and the way our DE room always seems to get hit with injuries we can't have too many pass rushers.

Notably, restricting myself to taking to top player regardless of position didn't require passing on any needs. There were never any OTs to be had without making major reaches (best in the first would have been Mims). Only time there was a DT available was the first (both Murphy and Newton). Mostly it was edge rushers, LBs and safeties that seemed to cluster around Cincy's picks. IF this bears any resemblance to the real thing I would think there would be some opportunities to trade around.

What’s frustrating is that the picture I’m starting to see (and hopefully my vision is far from 20/20 in this instance) is one where the Bengals are going to miss out on a top OT prospect that they badly need because they won a meaningless game against Cleveland’s scrubs in week 18 last season, so they are picking four slots lower than they would have with a loss.

I can’t blame them, I get it, no one wants to lose and tanking to end the season would have presented its own issues. But still, this sucks.