2024 Draft Talking Points

Yeah, I won't care about a DT or OT specifically going in either round as long as we get them early.
Protect Burrow and get some pressure on the opposing QB.

Bengals were in the bottom 3rd of the league with sacks produced and they need to get home more.
I know that stat isn't a stand alone regarding the pressure that can also be created without getting home.
However, getting home clearly is something you would rather see than simple pressure.
All but 3 teams in the top 10 made the playoffs this year.  One was a game away and another lost their starting QB.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

GIMME A LINEMAN ! ! ! ! !

that said, I love this mock.  so damn good

Cincinnati Bengals Mock Draft 1.0 (msn.com)

That draft would totally piss me off because somehow they failed to make 2 picks, 174 and 251. Also note that the pick numbers are wrong after the third round. Should be 115, 147, 195 and 234. This is all because they forgot comp picks exist.

Players they did take are fine tho.

2 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

ah, I just looked at the positions and assumed  r1 r2 r3

sorry, my bad

Oh not your fault. Like I said the players are fine and I’d be happy with those first three. The rest of the draft is just messed up because they forgot comp picks.

Mel goes with Latham in his first mock.

We could see a run on offensive linemen starting around here — this is a really talented tackle class. I have seven tackles ranked among my top 25 overall prospects. Latham started 27 games at right tackle for the Crimson Tide over the past two seasons. He can maul defenders in the run game, but he’s also light on his feet as a pass protector. With Jonah Williams headed to free agency, Latham could slot in on the right side and be an instant starter. I could also see the Bengals look toward the defensive tackle class, with Jer’Zhan Newton (Illinois) and T’Vondre Sweat (Texas) still available.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/23/bengals-mel-kiper-first-2024-nfl-mock-draft/

I think I lean toward Newton in that scenario. 

I agree with him... it's a talented tackle class.
If Newton were there in the first, I would bet we could still find a starting RT in the 2nd.

I would prefer Newton in that scenario as well.

I wanted Kancey last year coming out of Pitt as well and that didn't happen.  He went at pick #19.
Maybe this year will be different.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, they shot down the trade idea pretty strongly last offseason. In 20/20 hindsight, that was clearly an error. I don’t blame them of course, no one knows the future, but it’s still a kick in the pants.

There's been about 19 WRs drafted 2020-2022 top 35 picks not including Tee.   less than 50% have 1,000 yard seasons.    That's multiple years to have recorded at least 1 1,000 yard season.

Untagged Higgins is gone in the first day of FA.     Tag/trade - I think they'd get multiple top 150 picks.  

Having Tee on a 1 year $21m deal is not the best outcome but its far from an error. 

Latham would be might top choice at RT, although I do not think that's the route they go. 

Nice to see someone comment about Newton. Great work up on Joe’s part with the game tape. Loved the Kancey comp, as I mentioned earlier that he was one of my favorites last year. Him with two above average DE’s and that’s a problem for opposing offfenses.

Loved his thoughts on Higgins and makes me think about not only how they manage to keep him, but get a truly dynamic TE for Burrow.

I like the Mixon, Brown combo, but think they need to get another guy to add in there as well.

Thanks for sharing Hoosier !!

• Like 1

Mixon convo (if there's a convo) gets answered relatively quickly this year.  He's got  a roster bonus due right after the start of Free Agency.    I think Joe Burrow gave good insight.   He thought the run game was efficient, kept them on schedule.   I think that represents their attitude towards the run game.  Just do enough to keep them on schedule.  I don't know if they are willing to pay FA dollars for a chance to grab a bigger play back.   Draft?  Yeah, I could see them taking a back higher again this year.

Then you need RBs on this team that are going to produce in the pass game.  

Sold on Newton. 

Higgins convo - absolutely reminds me of local scribes convo about Dunlap, Atkins, MJ.  Everyone suspected that keeingp 2 of the 3 would be hard or impossible. Of course all 3 impossible.    So they spent so much time rationalizing it, of course MJ wasn't this or that blah, blah, blah.   MJ went away for a year then back on decent deal.   They had awesome years together.  They never went to a Superbowl but that's because of higher issues at QB and HC.  Higgins is top player they should do everything they can up to risking Chase (which they won't).   I would even go cheap at RT and figure that out later to make it happen. 

The one question I never seem to hear in the Higgins conversation is, ok, why can't you pay two good wide receivers?

You never hear pundits say that a team can't pay for two good defensive ends, or two good offensive tackles or two good defensive backs, etc., but pay two good wide receivers? Why, that's crazy talk!

Reality is, if they want to keep Higgins and Chase, they can. It's not going to wreck the cap, it's not going impoverish the Brown family, it's not going to force them to cut everyone else and field a team full of people picked out the stands, yadda yadda yadda. It does mean the front office would have to do business a little bit differently, meaning a little bit more like just about everyone else, but it can be done. It's just a matter of them wanting to.

Do they want to? That's the real question.

Can't pay 2 WRs is short sighted.   Bengals are going to spend the money.  They'll never be reckless.   Either Tee takes it or they move on to the next in line.   But no matter what some spot on the roster will have to be managed with young players because the money is going to get spent and eventually there is a limit.    So the critical factor is 1. The highly paid players perform.  2. They have success managing the young spots in the roster.

So you don't pay Tee.   Fine.   Then the spot you have to manage is WR2 and WR3 because Boyd is likely gone too.  If you pay Tee then its RT or some other spot. 

• Like 1

The Chargers managed to sign both Keenan Allen, 4 years 80 million and Mike Williams, 3 years 60 million.

Then by some work of God, obviously, managed to get Herbert extended to the tune of 5 years 262.5 million.

It can be done and the Bills just showed why it should be done. Teams will take away your best guy and you still have to find a way to beat them. Not saying it can’t be done without Higgins, but I’d rather they didn’t.

Pay both him and Chase. Draft a new RT, new TE, and new DT and get them fucking ready !!!

• Thanks 1

Put Kris Jenkins on your DT watch/wish list:  

a. Bengals have used high picks on Michigan players last two drafts

b. he's a freak

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh told Feldman that Jenkins is the "mutant of all mutants" and to keep an eye out on him becoming a top-10 pick in the draft.

• Like 1

Totally get that.

Newton has been my #1 for some time now, but I'm for the first time swayed by the thought of the best available RT.  Those guys look really solid and we need that badly.  Especially when considering I think Pollack should be fired.

Then God forbid a TE like Bowers, who should go in the top 10, happens to fall.
Not saying he should absolutely be the pick, but his presence should give them pause before picking.

• 2 weeks later...

The funny thing about the PFF mock is that it does not not at all match what you get if you use the PFF draft simulator. For example, when I ran it yesterday and it got to 18 the top player of the board was Dallas Turner. Who goes at 8 in the non-simulator mock.

Oh, and the second round pick was Chop Robinson. So I guess we're running a new all-Edge defense.

Bottom line, the PFF simulator is utterly worthless.

I take a look at the PFF simulator from time to time, but agree that it's pretty useless.

There are a few that I look at on a daily frequency, as is well known, I REALLY enjoy the draft.
At this point however, the variance in rankings is all over the place.
The Pro Football Network simulator is fun, as it allows for trades for free, but it can get crazy.

I have a history of clamoring on about linebackers, but have cooled off in recent years.
Mostly due to those on this board that helped me chill the fuck out.
That being the case... I really like Cedric Gray out of North Carolina.

17 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

PFF post SB mock:

1. Bowers

2. OT Patrick Paul

I’ll take that.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-post-super-bowl-2024-nfl-mock-draft-five-quarterbacks-first-round

Pass.

Call it my Senior Bowl bias.     There's a few players taken after each pick I'd rather have at this point.

My desire for a big investment at TE is going to change pending the status of Higgins.   IMO, if they lock in Higgins with a tag or contract there's no room for a big investment in TE, unless comit to an every down TE.

With Higgins, Chase, Burrow, 5 OL, RB - That leaves you 2 spots to work in every other utility player and sometimes with a slot WR they have blocking dedicated TE.

I'm all in on TE regardless of Higgins.  Just my thoughts.

I'm sick of the one year deals and would rather Burrow have some stability in a position that can have great impact.
A team can never have enough weapons, so upgrade if you can.  Now, I don't care when that is.  It doesn't have to be #18.
Cade Stover from Ohio State on day 2 would make me equally happy.

Also, even if they do tag Higgins and draft a TE, they still need to draft another WR.
Historically, if they tag Higgins he's gone in 2025.  Draft his replacement now.
This also doesn't have to be at #18, but that also wouldn't shock me.

Honestly, very little would shock me.  We will see how free agency shakes out.