2024 Draft Talking Points

Yeah, still too many unknowns. But it’s not hard to conjure a scenario where Bowers, Newton and the top 3-4 OTs are all gone by 18. And in that case Powers-Johnson has to be in the mix.

Plus the Bengals do not currently have a Johnson on the roster. That might be a rules violation…

• Haha 1

It seems like the latest round of mocks have put more QBs in the top half of the draft.  Most have 4 and some have 6.   So Bengals will need to strike on whatever position doesn't get the run because there will be someone previously thought to be unattainable sitting at 18.

The only slim way I could see a Powers-Johnson at 18 is no run on QBs. 

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I would think Bowers would have had to be the pick there.  I guess.  Latham at 18 would be awesome too, but I'd would prefer Bowers.   Newton would have been hard to pass on. 

But that's all gravy if 4 QBs go above them.   Can't imagine if it gets so crazy 5 or 6 QBs go above them.

Just for fun, because there is no way the Bears trade the #9 overall for Higgins, I poked around to see what a 3 round mock would look like. Here’s how it worked for me…

#9- Brock Bowers, TE
#18- Taliese Fuaga, OT
#49- Cooper Beebe, OG
#80- Xavier Legette, WR

Again, not happening, but I must admit to really liking the above. Just having fun leading up to the draft !!

FUN TJ, FUN.  Insert someone else.  

I expect the Bengals to address the interior of the d-line in free agency.  That could change and I love Newton.
This is why I have OT in the first round.  The free agent OT's are average at best and hard to tell if they fit with Pollack.

While I wouldn't mind passing on Bowers, I don't think the Bengals will in THIS scenario, which probably won't happen.
I love Fuaga personally.  He's more athletic than Latham is and maybe I just can't Moobs and candy ass Jonah from Alabama out of my head.  He consistently lands that short right arm right in the middle of the defenders chest and is a mauler in the run game as well.  Please note, I wouldn't be upset with a handful of OT's to be honest, to include Latham.  I just like Fuaga more.

I will do a new one just for you TJ !!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Just for fun, because there is no way the Bears trade the #9 overall for Higgins, I poked around to see what a 3 round mock would look like. Here’s how it worked for me…

#9- Brock Bowers, TE
#18- Taliese Fuaga, OT
#49- Cooper Beebe, OG
#80- Xavier Legette, WR

Again, not happening, but I must admit to really liking the above. Just having fun leading up to the draft !!

That would be a mind blowing draft. 

Fuaga is my top wish list at OT.   I just don't think he'll get to 18.    Thus, I get nervous about about Bengals drafting OT at 18 if its the 4th OT taken.    

I would really like to read a comparison to Sewell and Slater because in that draft it was a strong indicator those two would be franchise tackles.   The vibe I get with this class is everyone is saying they are great prospects but no one is getting the Sewell type hype. 

Gimme Latham.  Long arms and high production against top competition

then a pass rushing DI

then a 3 down TE

then, in no particular order:  P, developmental QB accuracy over arm strength, developmental OC (pass blocking over run blocking), coverage LB, outside corner with speed (and preferably return ability), developmental OLT (pass blocking over run blocking) (Smith and Carman can go away) 

Focus on HIGH RAS in round 4 and later, and in UDCFA

this is all with future years in mind.  Address the "now" needs in FA.  spend the cash while the championship window is open.  Number 1 "now" need in FA is ORT.  Number 2 "now" need is pass rush, however we can get it 

Bengals had a sizable contingent at Georgia’s pro day.

The Bengals sent multuple coaches to Georgia's Pro Day on Wednesday according to Jim Nagy, including offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher, defensive line coach Marion Hobby, running backs coach Justin Hill and cornerbacks coach Charles Burks. 

It's worth noting that all 32 NFL teams have representatives there. Top tight Brock Bowers (hamstring) and offensive tackle Amarius Mims (hamstring) aren't participating. Mims will bench press, but he won't do any field drills. Both guys will workout for NFL teams on April 10.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-send-multiple-coaches-to-georgia-bulldogs-pro-day

With bringing back Sample on a 3 year deal and the addition of Gesicki, I think that lowers the possibility of a TE early on.
No RT and no DT signing in free agency, despite the effort tells me those are going to be the top targets.
Obviously, I could be wrong, but as a fan, I think the team is in a better place at Safety, Tight End, and maybe even RB then we were a week ago.  The Mixon, Moss trade off remains to be clear, but certainly Safety and TE.

As always though, the question that is always relevant... Who else is on the board?
Won't be long until we get to see.

Yeah, in that Gesicki video Malik Wright was willing to bet one of his audience $100 that they won’t take Bowers if he’s there. Says they are one of the teams that share the size/weight concerns and aren’t interested. Elaborate deception campaign can’t be ruled out but Wright has been right enough times in the past that I trust his sources.

By all accounts it’s a bad year for safety. First one might not go before the third round. So yeah, Stone was a good get. I haven’t looked closely at RB but have not seen much buzz at the position this year, so I’m not expecting them to go there early.

18 looks like OT, DT or WR. And I’m wavering on including DT there because I think they’re going to believe they can get a DT in the second. I’m pretty sure they want OT, but if they all get snapped up before 18, I got a shiny new nickel that says they pivot to WR without a backwards glance.

A WR that I will be watching to see what happens with him is Keon Coleman.
He ran a slow 40 at the combine.  I think a 4.6 if I remember correctly.
However, it has been noted that he had the fastest speed during the gauntlet drill hitting 20.3 mph.
It goes back to asking how many times does a WR run only in a straight line during a game?
I will keep eyes on if he falls or not.

A WR I am absolutely amped about is Brian Thomas from LSU.
Absolute stud.

• Like 1

Houston trades out of the first round, sells pick 23 to the Vikes'

Minnesota Gets:
23rd
232nd

Houston Gets:
42nd
188th
2nd in 2025

Vikes have 11 and 23, gotta think they are looking at moving up for a QB.

I hate that deal for the Texans.
Basically swapped a 1st for a 2nd (DUMB)
Swapped a 7th for a 6th (WHO CARES)
And a 2nd rounder (NEXT YEAR)

I just think giving up the value of the 5th year option a 1st round pick holds makes that trade lopsided.

Playing around with the mock drafts again, as I so enjoy doing and had this drop in my lap.

#18. - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
#49. - Byron Murphy, DT, Texas
#80. - Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
#97. - Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
#116. - Brandon Coleman, OG, TCU
#149. - Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee
#194. - Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College
#214. - Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU
7th round...  who cares ??

Can I just send that to the Bengals now?

• Like 2

Honestly, I could see them going a few different routes AND AS ALWAYS, it depends on who else is on the board.

Legette in the 3rd was a product of the players available in a position of need presented as fairly large reaches, which I don't want to see them do at that point.  Who knows what happens with Tee, this year and next and Legette, if nothing else, would push 2-3 WR's off the depth chart from day 1, not to mention all 3 back of the roster guys are free agents next season.

Getting Jaylen Wright at pick #149, would be a massive steal and I'm never about improving the roster.  After Brown and Moss, you have Williams, who I have never held any affinity for, could be replaced with relative ease in my opinion.  When considering both Williams and Evans are free agents next year, along with the other 34 players, there will be picks made this year to make next year's numbers not be so challenging.  Again though, I expect Wright to be long gone before that pick.

Honestly, I don't like this QB class very much at all and that includes the top of the draft guys as well.

Another DT wouldn't surprise me for the same reasons I gave about all the free agents next year.
At the DT position alone, there are 4 next year (Hill, Tufele, Davis and Sample).
There just wasn't anyone on the board that I could justify using a pick on when considering the others that were there.

Like I said though, nothing would really surprise me after the first couple picks.