2024 Draft Talking Points

I wouldn't mind burning another late rounder on a punter.   However, there has to be a upside with the one they just drafted and/or a solid Undrafted punter that would be an improvement.

Just word to the wise there are some Fanboys in the Bengal twitterverse.   They loved them some Volson and they loved them some Robbins.    Go back and look at some of those OTA, Training Camp tweets for both these guys.   Superhuman they where.

Everyone is super human in camp.  Hard pressed to ever find someone saying a bad word about players at that point.
Not that the coaches aren't saying it, but the reporters sure as hell aren't.
Then I think it's just wanting to be hopeful the selected or returning players actually improve.

For example, I'm sure regardless of what some rankings or coaches may or may not say about Volson, fans simply hope like hell he keeps improving because the team doesn't appear likely to move on from him.  I would also think most fans believe (right or wrong) that Volson is the weak link.

That being said, fans will be begging for a report about how much stronger he appears in camp.
Oddly, even if it's not true, they will probably get it.  
Not like season tickets sell themselves if they start calling out how shitty the players look !!!

Fuaga doesn't sound like he'll be there at 18.   I'm still skeptical they'll use 18 on OL.   Free Agency will tell the tale there.

Saying the draft is loaded with WRs is a trend and not unique at all.   Since 2020 there's an average of 19 WR taken witin top 150. 

2020 - 17

2021 - 20

2022 - 21

Its hard to find rankings or mocks consistent for 2024 going that deep (150) but there are typically 25 WR Prospects that are having grades that would fall in that range. 

Clearly going to see 20+ WR going top 150 again this year.   I tried to find a consistent site with a grading scale.

Last year there were about 27 WR prospects with a score that would equate top 150.   2024 is 25.

Like they said in the Senior bowl for the foreseeable future there's going to be impressive College Wide Outs each year.

For reference this year's 2024 NFL draft class is mostly 2021 High school class.   There were 58 4 star or higher WR prospects.   For high school class of 2024 there are 85 4 star or higher.     Assuming their grading is consistent.   Every year is going to be a loaded NFL WR draft.

However, these prospects getting drafted are less than 50% in producing 1,000 yard seasons so far.    Also there's going to be a higher degree of churn because teams simply can't get snaps and are teams going to start carrying 8/9 WRs when they can't get them snaps?  I dunno. 

There are in fact many WR's ranked pretty high year in and year out.
I wasn't aware of that comment being made at the Senior Bowl, but thanks for the insight.

That being said, I went and took a look at the 2022 WR draft class.
There were 21 drafted in the top 150, but there may have been 4-5 that I wanted in stripes.

In 2021 there were 20 taken in the top 150, but there were only 3 that I wanted in stripes.

In 2020 there were 17 taken in the top 150, but there were only 5 that I wanted in stripes.

There were only 4 that I wanted in stripes in last year's draft.

When looking at this year's WR draft class, there are about 10-11, maybe more I would take.

I guess I'm looking at it as the "World according to ArmyBengal"... lol

I have long been in the Jer'zahn Newtown camp for #18 and really haven't changed my "want".
However, I don't see many OT options in free agency.  Some of those have expressed a desire to resign back with their team and others have injury concerns.  While I don't think the odds of a free agent OT are good, I'm certainly NOT opposed to it.

When looking at the draft, there are at least a few RT prospects which may be there at #18.
As we get closer to the draft, they may climb above our slot, but that remains to be seen.

I would rather not look at it as a "This or That" option though.
I given the choice, I would look to add OT help in both free agency AND the draft.
Can't forget on top of Williams this year, Jackson Carmen and D'Ante Smith are free agents in 2025.
I would rather have a solid vet to start, build the rookie up, while kicking Carmen out the door.

RT has been a need for a while.  The easy solution is to pay the dude you drafted to fill the biggest need.  Jonah Williams.    I doubt they bite that bullet.  I would love for them to draft the next Willie Anderson so this isn't my preference but just thoughts of what actually happens.

Not a whole lot of easy solutions in the rest of Free Agency at RT past Jonah Williams.  At least one that are known to fans.  Maybe there's a surprise cut somewhere, trade.   Maybe.

But most mocks have 4 OTs going before 18.  Yikes.  I get queezy thinking about Tobin and staff sorting through the 5th, 6th, 7th best OT to take at 18.  

My outside thought/guess is: Cody Ford will get a pay increase but a minor 2 year deal.  First run at starting OT, with a later round OT draft pick to push for competition.   They've liked him since he was drafted.  Signed him.  Most scribes viewed him as a TC cut before TC started.  Cody Ford was the first OL off the bench, I think for the whole season. 

Another way to say it.   I doubt the Bengals look at the available college talent and think 5 OTs are among the 18th best/impactful players.     They may have 1 or 2 OTs they view that way and then its comes down to the draft falling that way in order to take OT at 18.

It was the same with TE last year.  There were X amount of TEs mocked in the first.   It was rumored Kincaid would have been the pick If available.  He wasn't.  So they didn't move on to the next TE then went to Murphy.   Now that draft pick will be debated until he achieves a decent pass rush season, but that's a clear indication of their thought process.

I certainly won't argue about taking Murphy over the next available TE last year.
They thought Irv Smith was going to make an impact and improving the pass rush is a yearly consideration.
Murphy was considered a value, most thought would be long gone before the Bengals went on the clock.
It was a solid pick despite him coming on slowly and me wanting more from him sooner.

I also agree they may not take the next available OT at 18 if so many come off the board.
I started trading down in my mock drafts to pick up a selection and taking an OT toward the end of the first.
If they are hell bent on getting an OT, that may provide the best course of action.

There are at least a handful of OT's I think could help at the RT spot, so I am hopeful.

For what it's worth, the mock draft up on the official site had both Latham and Mims still on the board at #18 and the Bengals taking DT, Murphy, out of Texas.  I wouldn't necessarily be upset with that pick.  While I think there are decent OT's that could be had in the 2nd round, I'm not sure the quality when the Bengals go back on the clock will be what they want protecting Burrow.  In this situation, looking at Latham, Mims and Guyton still on the board, I would hope for a trade down and grab another draft pick.

Grab the best available DT in the 2nd and bring back Reader if he's healthy.  They should be able to afford him.

I'm waiting for JC Latham hype train to get going.    He is one I thought would be a good tackle at 18. 

The worry on Murphy is; his "hype" train is in overdrive right now.   Is it a function of media/fans now catching up to what NFL scouts have known all along?   He was considered 2nd/3rd rounder early and now seems to have cemented himself as the top DT.    His production stats are all positive.  He's an athletic freak. 

Naturally, the 2nd round pick often justifies the first round pick.   A lot of people in the heat of the draft weekend didn't like the Chase pick and hesitantly warmed up to it when Carmen was selected.   Crazy to think about it because Chase was the best player in that draft and should have been taken no less than 2nd.   Major steal.

I don't have a lot of heart burn about losing DJ Reader.   I think fans have his 2021 season in mind.   He's missed 6/7 games in 2022.  Now has a quad injury after a very average 2023. Going on 30. He only plays 55%-65% of snaps when healthy.  There were too many double teams working their way up to Pratt this past year.   If another team wants to give him $15m+ on a multi year, have at it.    This is one you invite him back in July sub $10m on a 1 year deal.

Newton is still widely considered the top DT in the draft, but heard yesterday he’s having foot surgery and skipping the combine. Love him as a player but expected him to be gone by 18 as well.

I loved the Chase pick and didn’t think Carmen was a good enough OT to go in the 2nd round. The fact he was projected to be moved inside was even less appealing to me.  Now I would just like to see them cut him.