Round 6 (206): Andrei Iosivas, WR Princeton

HoosierCat

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

Why are you all trying to take a world class athlete and add 30 pounds? 

because theres a good chance he cant/wont make this team as a WR, but maybe just maybe he could be a productive TE

As i said, I am not generally a fan of trying to turn an x into a y

but if one speculates that he wont make it as WR, why not try him as a TE, where there is a MUCH bigger roster hole?

I get that you personally think he makes it as a WR

I dont

Theres the difference that makes this a "why not try it?" type of thing a real possibility for me, and for Army

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm just curious. 
Mostly because I still think there is a glaring hole at TE that needs to be addressed with more than an injury prone TE to this point.
I'm not suggesting that's the best course of action.  Hence the speculating comment.
Guess that's a no.

Cool...

The bengals 100% disagree with you on their TE situation. They are all-in on Smith. 

They keep 7 receivers and he’s absolutely one of them. 

chase

higgins

boyd

jones

princeton guy

irwin/Taylor/Morgan fighting for last two spots.

if they keep only six, those three are fighting for one spot.

I am done with this conversation. You cannot seriously read ANY quotes from Troy Walters or any of the team’s coaches and think that they have any doubt about him as WR. For fuckssake. 

Smith/Sample/AsiAsi/Wilcox or a vet TE as 4th TE. That's the plan. You all may not like it but the Bengals are clearly more than OK with it. And IF they were not, they would have drafted a fucking TE. Not drafted a world class athlete who has played WR for three years and tell him to fatten the fuck up and learn a whole new position he has never played. 

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

Smith/Sample/AsiAsi/Wilcox or a vet TE as 4th TE. That's the plan. You all may not like it but the Bengals are clearly more than OK with it. And IF they were not, they would have drafted a fucking TE. Not drafted a world class athlete who has played WR for three years and tell him to fatten the fuck up and learn a whole new position he has never played. 

Jesus Mem, something up your ass today?  Why so mad when someone speculates?  I didn't even know how much this kid weighed, let alone much anything else about this seemingly nobody of a player.

The Bengals being all in on a player with 15 starts over 4 seasons, along with a bunch of other absolutely unspectacular players is entirely up to them and I hope Smith has an All Pro season, but I'm not betting on it either.

Calm down brother, it was just a talking point.

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I dont expect the Bengals TE coach to hold a press conference to introduce me and Army as new offensive assistants

I mean, you are already busy with the RT try outs and all.
It's a shame really.  Not enough time in the day.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not for nothing, there's likely to be cuts in August of a lot of vet TEs that they can likely scoop up then if they want more depth. all for that. 

Ding, we have a winner. We just had a draft loaded with TE talent. That will inevitably push veteran guys off rosters this summer. There will be options if they’re interested.

My opinion on tight ends - the one year prove it deal thing is working.  The position has evolved into a career wrecking series of car crash hits.  These guys are hurt at a rate that I think exceeds any position except maybe RB.

I know I’ll hear “Kelce”, and a couple others, but I look at them as outliers.  They are not the norm.  

So we hit FA, find an experienced guy or two who is healthy, use him for a year or so.  That’s how they should keep doing it.  

Dreaming about the next Tyler Eifert (great guy and great player) will only distract us from the reality of Tyler Eifert, dude was hurt constantly.

Spending a top 3 draft pick on a tight end is like buying a Lamborghini and immediately entering it in the demolition derby at the county fair.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on if they can keep finding guys on the cheap AND have them remain healthy as well.

When you look at both the Hurst and Smith 1 year deals, the two year total was a little over 5 million.
If that remains the case and the next two years cost them about the same, that would be about 10 million.

Lets pretend we took a TE in the second round this year.  That would cost less than 6 million for 4 years.
Should they pull the trigger in the later rounds, that prices continues to drops for a 4 year investment.

I wouldn't mind seeing them do both to be honest. 
Get a young guy to wrap up for 4 years, while simultaneously bringing in a free agent add here and there.

Back on point however, I can't wait to see what this kid does through camp and into the preseason, where he is sure to get a lot of reps.  Like Charlie Jones, he has an exciting skill set from what little I have seen of him since we drafted him.  To be honest, I had never heard the kids name until that point.

He had quite a bit of sleeper buzz all through the draft process. The bengals had him in for a top 30 visit and kept him here for two days. He was absolutely on my radar and was widely expected to go in rounds 4 or 5. Not surprising to me that they grabbed him there late in round 6 since he was still around. 

I really still haven't heard much about him and wasn't aware they had him in on a visit.
Totally was not tracking this dude.  Glad they were because from what I've seen he certainly has skills.
Funny Housh was brough up, because when my son and I were watching highlights, that's exactly who I thought of.  I don't know if it was the way he runs or carries himself, but you can see it.  Obviously anything the Bengals can do to bolster depth and improve the roster is a huge plus.  Again, can't wait to see him come the preseason games.

Morgan’s potential doom came with the arrival of Battle, a special teams ace in addition to being an outstanding safety at Bama…

simmons already talking excitedly about Battle’s arrival.

On 5/1/2023 at 12:38 PM, membengal said:

Why are you all trying to take a world class athlete and add 30 pounds? 

Mike Brown loves speed, but at least now his fascination with track athlete projects is limited to late round picks instead of like half the draft as in years gone by.