2021 Training Camp and Pre-season News and Chatter

membengal

Interesting narrative developing so far nationally AND locally.    All reports have the defense dominating.  However, when this gets talked about they jump right to the "line".   However, from reading the updates its  bad QB play, dropped balls, lack of separation seem to be a common theme.

The only bad report on the line has been with Smith getting dominated by Hubbard.   Williams is supposedly have a good camp.   Jackson low on the depth chart has been a topic but I've heard little or nothing about him actually struggling once pads came on.

IF regular season Offense struggles early on.... people seem to be willing to drop it at the feet of the line and that's it.  

I'm not really discouraged or encouraged about anything I've read.  Its TC IF a WR makes a great play most likely a CB is victimized and vice versa.     Hopefully its good competition.

• Like 1

with all the backup OLs playing, no audibles, and only one play that the D knows is coming......yeah, I get it.

Rapien said something n the radio too, something I've known all along but dont see mentioned much......the backup OLT is Reiff, because thats where most of his experience is.....so the backups need a LOT of reps at ORT because it is twice as likely that a backup OT will have to come in at ORT

I am very glad Smith is getting a LOT more reps there

My only two bits of unhappiness are

1. The Big Johnson (also known as Fred) isn't getting reps right now.  Yeah, I know, he's hurt or sick or something......but he needs these reps, and he needs them NOW

2. The Bengals should be bringing in veteran OTs right now for short term support for that position.  Okung, Rick Wagner, or Demar Dotson.  I'd greatly prefer Wagner or Dotson.  1 year contract will be fine.  Im not happy that they dont appear to be doing this, despite bringing in some interior OL help in the past few weeks

10 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

with all the backup OLs playing, no audibles, and only one play that the D knows is coming......yeah, I get it.

Rapien said something n the radio too, something I've known all along but dont see mentioned much......the backup OLT is Reiff, because thats where most of his experience is.....so the backups need a LOT of reps at ORT because it is twice as likely that a backup OT will have to come in at ORT

I am very glad Smith is getting a LOT more reps there

My only two bits of unhappiness are

1. The Big Johnson (also known as Fred) isn't gettign reps right now.  Yeah, I know, he's hurt or sick or something......but he needs these reps, and he needs them NOW

2. The Bengals should be bringing in veteran OTs right now for short term support for that position.  Okung, Rick Wagner, or Demar Dotson.  I'd greatly prefer Wagner or Dotson.  1 year contract will be fine.  Im not happy that they dont appear to be doing this, despite bringing in some interior OL help in the past few weeks

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind a little more OL. If RR gets hurt they are in serious trouble.

13 minutes ago, membengal said:

Johnson has a pulled quad TJ. Supposedly back next week.

it can go longer

I hope it doesn't, but in the meantime, as you know, I have a "expect the worst" way of viewing things.......so to me, they need to bring in a vet backup.  any of the three I named earlier will suffice.

Only one of those three that might be willing to come in as a back-up is Wagner.  And Wagner has RT experience, so he would work. But pretty sure Wagner is in no rush to make a decision and will wait and see in any event in case a starter's spot opens up due to injury. Also, there were rumors he might rather retire. 

Might be some vet cuts between now and opening week that will be of interest as well.