2021 Overall Draft Grade

TJJackson

First, all grades the week after the draft are nonsense, including mine. We, none of us, know anything real about these players, we will not anything about them on the field until the season begins and we can see them in person, even at that most players (even really good ones) need a bit of seasoning for a year or two before you can see what they will become.  Counting on rookies to fill critical spots on the starting lineup is generally a bad plan but the Bengals, like most teams, do not have the luxury of filling all their roster holes through free agency so we are left with an unpleasant reality. 

So all that said, IF TJ thinks Shelvin is an F then it is as valid a grade as Hoosier grading it an A.  I will say that in watching more from the coaches, they are seeming to be building schemes with both Reader and Shelvin on the line at the same time.....that will be interesting with Reader essentially playing 3 technique...will be fun to watch if nothing else.

The Bengals deviated significantly from my philosophy which is  that since we have so many roster holes it is unlikely that they are going to win anything significant this year so the best course of action is to spend all your resources building an amazing offense so that when you are in position to win big that side of the ball is more seasoned (i.e. Fuck the Defense).  The Bengals, probably because the coaches are on the hot seat, have taken the approach to try and win now.  By doing so they have not maximized the potential of the offense.  Only time will tell if they are right....they seem to think that they have a much better, more competitive, well rounded roster than I do.

The only complaint from me is the assumption of Carman being full time guard his entire Bengal career.

If he transitions to RT and/or Bengals extend beyond his rookie deal (assuming he pans out as guard) then there’s not much to complain about other than wait and see how these players actually produce. 

Chase has the upside to carry this draft class by himself. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Is THIS the game where Jenkins supposedly dominated Ossai?

Yep. Ossai had the one sack at the end of the game and one additional pressure.  Jenkins had 3 or 4 pancakes and another 10 or so where he just stones Ossai. And then the one we're he totally abuses him.

27 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yep. Ossai had the one sack at the end of the game and one additional pressure.  Jenkins had 3 or 4 pancakes and another 10 or so where he just stones Ossai. And then the one we're he totally abuses him.

As i stated Ossai got tripped twice on that one play by his own teammates

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Well, not sure what you expect from defensive ends. Even the all-time greats get blocked most of the time. That burst was quite something on that sack, ran by Jenkins like he was a statue. 

On defensive ends - Jon Ledyard (who has been a great draft follow for years) did his d-line rankings pre-draft.  Had Ossai 6th and Sample 7th. Basically just noted again on twitter how much he likes Sample.

https://www.pewterreport.com/2021-nfl-draft-edge-rankings/

I updated my piece on Sample and raised the grade a half letter

I am unsure if Sample is mainly an inside guy or mainly an outside guy.  Seems to be a bit of both. 

I like him a lot better as a draft pick if he is mainly a passrushing DT, tho as per above Ledyard sees him as an outside guy and he's not nearly the only one

It will be interesting to see how he is used come fall

If I had a dollar to bet (sadly, I dont) I'd put it on that he will be listed as a DT with a much higher weight (275 right now) and will back up Ogunjobi.  If thats the case, Daniels might be cut.  I like Daniels a lot but football is as always a business.

8 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I updated my piece on Sample and raised the grade a half letter

I am unsure if Sample is mainly an inside guy or mainly an outside guy.  Seems to be a bit of both. 

I like him a lot better as a draft pick if he is mainly a passrushing DT, tho as per above Ledyard sees him as an outside guy and he's not nearly the only one

It will be interesting to see how he is used come fall

If I had a dollar to bet (sadly, I dont) I'd put it on that he will be listed as a DT with a much higher weight (275 right now) and will back up Ogunjobi.  If thats the case, Daniels might be cut.  I like Daniels a lot but football is as always a business.

Yeah, I think they are looking at Sample as Geno replacement with scheme versatility.