Round 5 Pick: Evan McPherson, K, Florida

Simmons just said they drafted there starting kicker. I can’t be anymore happier about this pick, I know it’s just a kicker, but we have waited so long for somebody who we can trust. Guess I should wait to see how he does, but this guy does seem lime the real deal.

• Like 1

This may sound like complaining, but I do like this pick with one caveat:  i think we could have gotten him a round later

I would rather WR Simi Feheko been picked here......that would have been the deep speed WR we could still use even after drafting Chase....and then this kid in r6 instead of the GA center

but again:  I do like this player and I'd definitely bet a dollar he takes over the K job for the Bengals

Overall happy with this pick

That’s the thing nobody knows, could have they gotten him later, maybe, but maybe not. If this there guy they wanted, then they have to pull the trigger, if not then they might lose out. Like Simmons said you have to take kickers earlier sometimes or they just won’t be there when you want them. I love this pick

Zach said that their plan originally was to try to take Evan in the 6th but they got so many of their players in the fourth and filled so many needs that they said "why wait and risk losing him?"  I get it and it probably was the right decision.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Zach said that their plan originally was to try to take Evan in the 6th but they got so many of their players in the fourth and filled so many needs that they said "why wait and risk losing him?"  I get it and it probably was the right decision.

I get that. 

I am confident I will love this pick a lot better when some critical FGs are made and not missed as was the case in 2020

Here's what i just cant figure out tho........so they liked Seibert so much in 2020 that they used a valuable roster spot to keep him all of 2020 even when Fat Randy was the kicker, and now they spend a valuable 5th round pick on a kicker?   So they loved Seibert and now all of the sudden they dont?  I really dont understand that

22 hours ago, GapControl said:

Does he got the starting nod or does he have to beat out Siebert ?

My understanding is that they will compete in camp without one or the other having any innate advantage

also, I sorta kinda get what Simmons is saying below......draft a little early if you want to ensure you get the guy you want.  It sounds like his power is off the charts, so accuracy and placement will be the question going into spring camps