The #1 Reason for Optimism Thread - 2018 Edition

skyline

Someone else can start a pessimistic rebuttal thread if you'd like, but it's not welcome here!

If, by some miracle, the Bengals have a fantastic season.... I mean, deep playoff/Super Bowl type of season...what is the #1 key to it all?

My pick:

Joe Mixon - people keep referring to him as the next Le'Veon Bell.  And, as much as I dislike anyone wearing yellow and black, adding Bell to this roster would have an undeniable impact.  Mixon's first season #s are comparable to Bell's and he has all the tools. Throw in a hopeful upgrade at center, a healthy Jake Fisher, and an upgrade at left tackle?  He could have a special year. A 1500 yard, 12 TD kind of year.

We've had some good running backs in the intervening years, but who was the last true super-star level RB to wear stripes?  Corey Dillon, perhaps?

It could be a game changer. 

#2 to Frank Polkack is Terrel Austin

The o-line improvement is the #1 key to the season, followed by how the defense functions under the new DC.

If the players picks things up quick and actually produce, we could be in for an exciting season. I still think that are a lot of “What ifs” at this point though.

I’ll remain positive though...

Right on, Army.

The biggest thing I want to see from the defense is an increase in turnovers. Which helps...you guessed it. The offense.

I was hoping someone would pick John Ross.

If he's healthy and productive, that's a first round weapon opposite Green. Also can't hurt 

Overall, the offense has the potential to explode this season if all the dominos line up.

Oh don't get me wrong.  I think there are more than a handful of players you could mention, in regards to what their impact could be on the season.

Cordy Glenn and Billy Price starting at LT and Center.
Tyler Eifert and John Ross being healthy and staying that way.
Joe Mixon being the clear #1 RB from day one of camp.
Jordan Willis starting opposite Carlos Dunlap from day one of camp.
Andrew Billings back to 100% and starting next to Geno.
Preston Brown starting MLB.
Whoever starts in Burfict's place while in timeout.
William Jackson starting at CB without question.
Jessie Bates getting snaps at safety.
Darius Phillips as the kick returner.

That's almost 15 players and I didn't mention Dalton's impact behind a rebuilt o-line either, which is worth mentioning.

I don't think anyone would be wrong in focusing more in depth on any of those guys, but this year will really be about the coaching and getting the players ready.
Frank Pollack, Teryl Austin, and Bill Lazor are the 3 that get my main focus in regards to seeing what changes to the good moving forward.

However, I can also tell you I'm intrigued to see what Alex Van Pelt does with Dalton and what Bob Bicknell does with the WR group.
With such turnover at all these coaching positions, I would say players will really have to step it up.  Past favorites may find themselves out of favor.

When looking at everything I listed above, there is a lot of reason for optimism heading into the season.
The questions are, what changes will be made and how long will it take the players to get it all down to be able to execute ??
If the coaches make positive changes and get it all implemented, that will be massive.

Agreed.

I was quite pleased to lose Geunther. Not that he's a bad coach, but he seemed to be a poor man's version of Zimmer and his defensive approach felt stale.

If Marvin has to stay, then I'm at least mildly appeased by two brand new playbooks to shake the team out of its rut. 

Our personnel is just as good as it was in 2015, but it's changed. My hope is that the coaches approach is finally going to make changes that reflect this.

Hell, I forgot about Carl Lawson building on his great rookie season.
I also forgot they brought in DT Chris Baker, who both Haslett and Burney coached when Baker was really good in Washington (I think).

Nice to find optimism after I almost quit this team when Marvin was brought back.
I still am not ok with that decision as a fan, but it is what it is.
I just hope it doesn't cost the team.

I agree with Lawson's potential being amazing.  I'm just curious how they will utilize him.
There was mention of him on the official site and how his dad is a personal trainer, having helped him all off season.
Apparently, he's not only more jacked, but focused on his quickness and short bursts of speed.
Very optimistic about him.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume we all read cincyjungle.  Kirkendall just posted a great read on Pollack.  It did everything but say Alexander was a softie and coached his guys to be the same.  Pollack is coaching them differently and so far, at least according to the players going up against them in practice, it shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

I assume we all read cincyjungle.  Kirkendall just posted a great read on Pollack.  It did everything but say Alexander was a softie and coached his guys to be the same.  Pollack is coaching them differently and so far, at least according to the players going up against them in practice, it shows.

All anyone has to do is read what is being said about the o-line approach and listen to the o-linemen themselves to know Pollack has changed things.
Great that we continue to hear it for sure !!!