Pac Man Gone?

AMPHAR

He said (on Twitter) during the season that the bengals weren't going to give him the coin he wanted so I can't say I'm surprised. I suppose he might come back if he doesn't find a market but if your friend is correct then he must have gotten word via back channels that some team will meet his price.

The thing about Pac Man is go through the list of 2005 drafted CBs and how many are still playing CB or even in the league?    We got the best out of Pac and generally speaking it's better to let a player go 1 or 2 years early vs. keeping them 1 or 2 years late.

I don't know.     Willie Anderson got the loyal Bengal vet extension.   Gave them a solid 2006 and then went down hill all the way to his release in 2008 ending up with the Ravens.

I would love a 1 or 2 year deal like they did with Newman but does Pac Man and his baggage have more leverage than Newman at this point?

• Like 1

Jones has been around for quite some time but it's important to remember he has spent a significant amount of time on the sideline or on his couch thanks largely to his character issues. He's played in just 114 of a potential 176 games in his career, so he's actually played the equivalent of only a bit more than 7 seasons. And based on his play last year I would be willing to gamble he has another year or two left.

A bigger question for me is whether I want him back after the playoff meltdown.

Playoff meltdown.    Tough call.     He would have been a partial hero if Hill hangs on to the ball because his return help set up the go-ahead TD drive.   Yet, on the other hand he's had these outburst/incidents on the field over his Bengal career that definitely makes it seems he plays on the edge so  you can't really be confident he won't do it again.

Burfict's recent comments don't look good for Pac's actions either.    

i think there are some key items that guide if they attempt to bring him back.

1. Dennard's shoulder. - status?

2. Kirkpatrick's progress - do they think he is ready to get to next level?

3. Hall - hopefully they place Jones above Hall in priority but we all know how the Brown family has their favorites. It's clear that Hall has been given every professional courtesy but he just isn't that good anymore.

4. FA market - with several players who could come in and enhance this D, there is no shortage of players to target. will Bengals get after one or two? maybe...

Re 3 it seems like they are done, but yeah, you never know.

Re 1: http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/02/cincinnati_cb_darqueze_dennard.html

So DD thinks he'll be back maybe for OTAs, definitely for camp.

Re 2: it all comes down to consistency for Dre. At times he looks terrific, and then at other times he's terrible. I can understand not rushing to do a new deal for him (Zeitler OTOH...)

3 more years of Pac Man - maybe he can lose another playoff game for them by acting like an 8 yr old again.

Cap went up $12 mm this year, and yet the Bengals' resign him instead of signing a vet CB who isn't an out-of-control idiot, and lose 2 of their top 3 WR's over $$.

Still, under Marvin, no one is held accountable for anything here.  I would've let him go and used the $$ on someone else, if nothing else to say "enough is enough." 

But, that is why Marvin is the black Jim Mora.

Can't win shi%.

17 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

3 more years of Pac Man - maybe he can lose another playoff game for them by acting like an 8 yr old again.

We need to give Adam the benefit of the doubt, sometimes it takes a guy 11 or 12 seasons to figure things out.  

Odd aside - just read that Jones was a stud basketball player, named high school all-american in basketball, and with his high school team won two state championships.  

I'm happy he's back. Just like Andy brought his game forward, Jones can/will learn to keep his poise. I'm pleased he is staying.

Iloka, Rey, Jones, good to keep them.

Bye Lamur, Nelson (bummer that one). Lamur is replaceable with Dawson, thus no net loss. Dawson should be ready for business.

Now, grab a moderate cost WR (the Raider WR is intriguing) with some upside and we will be ready to roll, with a strong draft of course. Need to see more of Mario Alford and Wright.

• 4 weeks later...

Adam has played great the whole time he's been a Bengal.  Is he edgy?  Yeah he is.  Is he a top player in the secondary? Yeah he is.  Would half the Steelers defense be fined or suspended if they were wearing orange and black instead of yellow and black? Yeah they would be.  Is it fair? No.   If Marvin nonchalantly tripped a player on the field while coaching, would he be suspended for a year? Yeah.  If Paul Alexander ripped another teams player by their hair would he be suspended ?  Yeah.   I hate the Steelers and I bet Adam Jones does too.

• Like 1