12-4

jonf45uk

A 12-4 record is a hell of an achievement ,as is reaching the  playoffs for 5 years running. 

Gotta learn to somehow take the next step now,  and despite our achievemenys this year, no one's gonna give us a chance versus the steelers, assuming that's who we get (despite being at home, the better team through 16 games etc etc!) 

It's a huge ask for mccarron, and it will need a huge improvement from the run game and O line from the last 8 games. 

I hope they don't start dalton, as shittsburgh would definitely go after his hand, and then neck or knees......

Can't imagine aj's going to get much sleep this week, but we've got to learn to find a way to win the big game someday, so why not start next week???

15 minutes ago, jonf45uk said:

A 12-4 record is a hell of an achievement ,as is reaching the  playoffs for 5 years running. 

Gotta learn to somehow take the next step now,  and despite our achievemenys this year, no one's gonna give us a chance versus the steelers, assuming that's who we get (despite being at home, the better team through 16 games etc etc!) 

It's a huge ask for mccarron, and it will need a huge improvement from the run game and O line from the last 8 games. 

I hope they don't start dalton, as shittsburgh would definitely go after his hand, and then neck or knees......

Can't imagine aj's going to get much sleep this week, but we've got to learn to find a way to win the big game someday, so why not start next week???

Here's the Catch 22. Even if the Bengals were to play perfect football next weekend and upset Thugsburgh, how many key players do the thugs take out for the second playoff game?.

Highly expecting one and done, with a note that a one and done will not, for me, taint the 12-4, 5 playoffs in a row accomplishments.

History tells us the franchise has only gone 12-4 twice before. In 1981 and 1988, both SB years.

One potential positive in this situation is that this will be the first Marvin era playoff game in which nearly nobody will take the Bengals seriously.  They'll definitely not be favored to win in Vegas, and especially if they're playing Pittsburgh the talking heads will unanimously pick against them.

Play into that underdog narrative.

I'm as discouraged as the next guy with the thought of McCarron facing the Steelers next week.  That said, just pause for a moment and imagine how many monkeys can be thrown from the back to the ground should the Bengals turn such an event into an opportunity to do so.  The Steelers are far from perfect, and I do believe our secondary (if healthy) can be the one secondary in this league to match their receivers.  And the Steeler secondary itself is nothing special to say the least.  QB position aside, I believe our team matches up well.  The biggest obstacle is between the ears when it comes to playing them.  Just imagine they pull off the win.  It would turn an otherwise discouraging end to the regular season to something everyone will be quite thrilled about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duus said:

I'm as discouraged as the next guy with the thought of McCarron facing the Steelers next week.  That said, just pause for a moment and imagine how many monkeys can be thrown from the back to the ground should the Bengals turn such an event into an opportunity to do so.  The Steelers are far from perfect, and I do believe our secondary (if healthy) can be the one secondary in this league to match their receivers.  And the Steeler secondary itself is nothing special to say the least.  QB position aside, I believe our team matches up well.  The biggest obstacle is between the ears when it comes to playing them.  Just imagine they pull off the win.  It would turn an otherwise discouraging end to the regular season to something everyone will be quite thrilled about.

They would have to play near perfect football, making 90% of the tackles, no turnovers, stupid penalties, excetera.

By no stretch of the imagination am I a "fair weather" fan, or someone who's jumped on the bandwagon over the past 4 years, but I'm not sure I'll even watch the playoff game ... I'm not sure I can take the heartache of another play off loss. To be honest with a very very inexperienced QB and a mis-firing O-line I just don't believe we can beat Pitts. 

OK, McCarron game on part way through the Pitts defeat, we then beat a very poor San Fran side, then failed to succeed in a battle for the outright 2nd seed and bye-week spot when it mattered before being pushed against a decimated Baltimore team, to land up with a play-off versus Big Ben et al. If Dalton was healthy I'd say we had a chance but with McCarron (as much as I like the guy) I don't think he's experienced enough to do the business. 

Five and zip and bring on the draft coming up. 

9 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

They're just going to have to want it more.

That, and not respond to their taunting in a negative way.

My prediction ..... IF the Bengals don't beat Thugsburgh .... the Steelers will play in another SB, because I don't think neither NE or Denver have enough juice to stop them. (Guzzling Gatorade, trying to remove the fecal aftertaste of what I just said from my mouth)

Vaguely on topic: 2016 opponents are now set (via Harvey):

Home opponents (*playoff team): Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins* (Jay Gruden Reunion Bowl!), Denver Broncos*, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers*, Baltimore Ravens

Away opponents (*playoff team): New England Patriots*, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Houston Texans*, Browns, Steelers*, Ravens

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Vaguely on topic: 2016 opponents are now set (via Harvey):

Home opponents (*playoff team): Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins* (Jay Gruden Reunion Bowl!), Denver Broncos*, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers*, Baltimore Ravens

Away opponents (*playoff team): New England Patriots*, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Houston Texans*, Browns, Steelers*, Ravens

Holy crap, that schedule is delicious.  

Great '15 season but I can't believe the negativity and whining I'm reading here!! >:(

BRING 'EM! The Steelers are bullies no more. I'm fired up about this. AJ McCarron is more than capable of keeping things rolling. I hope Dunlap writes those comments from Gilbert on the back of his Wheaties box and reads em every morning. I hope AJ Green and Marvin Jones are fired up to repeatedly torch that s***y Steeler secondary. I hope someone tells Geno how Big Jen was seen repeatedly hitting on his sister at a party last weekend. I hope someone puts together film of Hines Ward's greatest hits and has a sit-down with Mo Sanu, Gio, Burkhead, and any other Bengals player that will be roaming the middle of the field this week. I hope Burfict, Nelson and Adam Jones make it their goal to knock at least one filling out of every head on the Steeler offense this week. I hope Jeremy Hill is ready to hit the holes HARD and churn up yards in massive chunks. I hope all backups are ready to go out and play like their hair's on fire because the starters are going to play with such recklessness, we're going to need 'em.

We're going to steamroll this team and move on to the Division round because we're better, we're hungrier and we're out for blood.

Seriously. I relish the opportunity to get some payback from the last ten years of bullsh*t from these guys. I don't know about you guys, but I've had enough. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

10 years of posting here (happy anniversary!) and you haven't come to expect that yet? :mrgreen:

Well, I'm waiting for an amen from TJ or Skyline - one or more of the forum's resident hotheads. C'mon guys, don't let me down!

29 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Well, I'm waiting for an amen from TJ or Skyline - one or more of the forum's resident hotheads. C'mon guys, don't let me down!

Wow. Skyline and hothead in the same sentence. Now my name I could see.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

By no stretch of the imagination am I a "fair weather" fan, or someone who's jumped on the bandwagon over the past 4 years, but I'm not sure I'll even watch the playoff game ... I'm not sure I can take the heartache of another play off loss. To be honest with a very very inexperienced QB and a mis-firing O-line I just don't believe we can beat Pitts. 

OK, McCarron game on part way through the Pitts defeat, we then beat a very poor San Fran side, then failed to succeed in a battle for the outright 2nd seed and bye-week spot when it mattered before being pushed against a decimated Baltimore team, to land up with a play-off versus Big Ben et al. If Dalton was healthy I'd say we had a chance but with McCarron (as much as I like the guy) I don't think he's experienced enough to do the business. 

Five and zip and bring on the draft coming up. 

Jeez-oh. That's one defeatist attitude. Perhaps we should just step aside and give the dirty fucks a bye??? 

55 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Great '15 season but I can't believe the negativity and whining I'm reading here!! >:(

BRING 'EM! The Steelers are bullies no more. I'm fired up about this. AJ McCarron is more than capable of keeping things rolling. I hope Dunlap writes those comments from Gilbert on the back of his Wheaties box and reads em every morning. I hope AJ Green and Marvin Jones are fired up to repeatedly torch that s***y Steeler secondary. I hope someone tells Geno how Big Jen was seen repeatedly hitting on his sister at a party last weekend. I hope someone puts together film of Hines Ward's greatest hits and has a sit-down with Mo Sanu, Gio, Burkhead, and any other Bengals player that will be roaming the middle of the field this week. I hope Burfict, Nelson and Adam Jones make it their goal to knock at least one filling out of every head on the Steeler offense this week. I hope Jeremy Hill is ready to hit the holes HARD and churn up yards in massive chunks. I hope all backups are ready to go out and play like their hair's on fire because the starters are going to play with such recklessness, we're going to need 'em.

We're going to steamroll this team and move on to the Division round because we're better, we're hungrier and we're out for blood.

Seriously. I relish the opportunity to get some payback from the last ten years of bullsh*t from these guys. I don't know about you guys, but I've had enough. 

I'm hoping everything in this post happens just like it reads ..... However ..... all the fan optimism will not change the outcome Saturday night.  Until they prove otherwise, it will always be expect the worse, hope for the best for me.

36 minutes ago, glasgowbengal said:

Jeez-oh. That's one defeatist attitude. Perhaps we should just step aside and give the dirty fucks a bye??? 

Odds are that that's what the game will end up being for Pitt, sadly. But if you want the case for a Bengals win, one place to start is with momentum.I'd argue the Bengals are trending up at the moment, while the Steelers are angling down.

Strangely, the source of this is at QB. after throwing just 10 picks in the first 13 games, Rothlisberger has tossed 6 INTs in the last three games. Throw in a couple fumbles and the Steelers have turned the ball over 8 times in those games. As a result the Steelers offense, which had put up 30+ points in six straight games after losing at home to the Bengals, averaged only 22.5 points against its last two opponents.

On the other side, the brightest spot for McCarron and the offense has been ball security. In three starts AJ has 0 INTs and the Bengals as a whole have just two fumbles. That's made the 21.6 points a game they're scoring right now competitive with Pitt's suddenly turnover-prone O. And unlike the hapless Browns, the Bengals have demonstrated they can reach the end zone if given a short field.

So if the Bengals don't turn it over and the Steelers keep giving the ball away...which are both things both teams have been doing the last few weeks...there's a chance...

I think there's a chance even without the benefit of getting multiple turnovers, but only if the defense does not fall into its playoff tradition of collapsing against the run.  The Bengals defense finished the season at the top of the NFL in scoring defense -- that's no small thing, and if they can live up to their own billing for just one fucking Saturday, then the game is definitely winnable.

The second half can't be a woeful display of ineptitude in every phase too.  Another playoff trend.