Your 2014 Draft Class

HoosierCat

Grade the Draft!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Time for the most useless exercise in the offseason!

• A - I want to marry this draft.
    • B - I want to date this draft.
    • C - I want to hook up with this draft.
    • D - I would need serious beer goggles.
    • F - I have my standards.

Nice story over at the Spinzone about Bengals big running backs. Lots of power runners over the years came out of the second round. Anyone old enough to remember Pete Johnson at 255 lbs!?!

Pete is probably my favorite Bengal. I can see the comparison to Hill. Pete was a powerful runner who was a challenge to pull down and who could drag people on his back -- but he needed a couple steps to build up steam. Hill is like that as well. He isn't really quick off the mark but if he can get a couple steps to build up momentum he can run through guys.

That would be nice if true, I think your reaching a bit though. Only Earl Cambell was better at running through over people than Pete was.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're closer than you think. Pete was 6' and went about 250. Hill's 6'2" and listed at 236. So we're only talking ~15 lbs. difference and I wouldn't be surprised if that gap closed some after Hill has a year in a pro training regimen.

Maybe, maybe not. Pete was a big, big dude. But either way, if Hill's game in any way resembles Johnson's, that's a good thing! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126221/index.htm

awesome article.

"That's ridiculous. Refrigerators don't even have feet."

There have been a bunch of fluff pieces on the official site, but the one I liked was how much Gio thinks of Bodine.

Again, I think the jury is still out on what he will do here, but if we are to believe they had Bodine as the #1 center in the draft and considering his strength and Gio speaking on his behalf, i'm intrigued at what he might do.

There have been a bunch of fluff pieces on the official site, but the one I liked was how much Gio thinks of Bodine.

Again, I think the jury is still out on what he will do here, but if we are to believe they had Bodine as the #1 center in the draft and considering his strength and Gio speaking on his behalf, i'm intrigued at what he might do.

Where does the idea they had Bodine as their #1 center come from? The OL draft preview video on the official site with Duke Tobin makes no mention of Bodine, while he speaks glowingly of several of the other prospects.
/>http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Scouts-Take-O-Line/febe1660-7191-477f-88f4-e4bd71a98ffc

Where does the idea they had Bodine as their #1 center come from? The OL draft preview video on the official site with Duke Tobin makes no mention of Bodine, while he speaks glowingly of several of the other prospects.
/>http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Scouts-Take-O-Line/febe1660-7191-477f-88f4-e4bd71a98ffc

Yeah, there was a write up about how they had him as the #1 center, but like I stated: "If we are to believe"...

The CBA works. The old way was utter stupidity. This process is so much easier, unless you are a first round draft pick looking to get paid, in which case you complain about the NFLPA letting a bunch of guys who were either on their second or third contract, or were looking forward to their second or third contract, vote on the CBA. It feels like Mike wrote this CBA.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on Dennard. I know it will get done and i'm not stressing it in the least, but really, what's the hold up ??

In regards to the grading of this draft, does anyone feel any differently about it now that some time has passed and OTA's have begun ??

I originally gave it a C+, but think I may have been a little harsh. I'm comfortable jumping to a B-. :lol:

I still can't say as I think much beyond round 4, but time will tell.

There was talk about Flowers, but I think people also forget that Porter is coming back from an injury and I still think he will be a productive part of the LB corps. I could be wrong on that, but I was big on him coming out of Texas A&M.

/>http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/06/12/bengals-sign-first-round-pick-darqueze-dennard/10382987/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Like Dennard, I want to now how much of the money is guarenteed

Based on what the guys above and below him got guaranteed, Dennard's number should be right about $6.5 million guaranteed.

Still waiting on Dennard. I know it will get done and i'm not stressing it in the least, but really, what's the hold up ??

In regards to the grading of this draft, does anyone feel any differently about it now that some time has passed and OTA's have begun ??

I originally gave it a C+, but think I may have been a little harsh. I'm comfortable jumping to a B-. :lol:/>/>

I still can't say as I think much beyond round 4, but time will tell.

There was talk about Flowers, but I think people also forget that Porter is coming back from an injury and I still think he will be a productive part of the LB corps. I could be wrong on that, but I was big on him coming out of Texas A&M.

The value/grading of this draft hinges on Will Clarke and Bodine. If they become competent pros, then I'd give it a B+/A-. If they are lame, a la Frostee and Luigis, then it stays a C+.ed.

Really happy Dennard is signed. Now focus on the foosball!

To be honest, I can not change my displeasure with this draft past the first round. Hopefully, Hill, Bodine and Clarke work out, but I still question the picks. The undrafted class is solid and helps out this season, Isiah Lewis is a starter in the NFL after he learns the ropes and hopefully a true FB will stick on the team from the group.

Fair enough on all accounts, I was just curious.

I like the fact that we see some of these guys (Hill, Bodine) running with the first team and getting those reps.

Whether they end up as the starter remains to be seen, but I like how things are playing out to this early point.

With that thought in mind, I have no problem giving the slight bump.

Many others with far more football knowledge than me still rate this draft far higher than I, so there's that.

I'm more than happy to underestimate and be wrong.

To be honest, I can not change my displeasure with this draft past the first round. Hopefully, Hill, Bodine and Clarke work out, but I still question the picks. The undrafted class is solid and helps out this season, Isiah Lewis is a starter in the NFL after he learns the ropes and hopefully a true FB will stick on the team from the group.

I find myself leaning the other way. Only because the Bengals have drafted well in the last 5 years. Very well, in fact. I have criticized the Bengals plenty in the last 20 years. I've got to give them credit as well.