Gruden getting attention

cincyhokie

Alright. Good times.

Now, I feel like we're on death watch for Zimmer's possible departure.

Adam Schefter has him as the front runner in Minnesota.

Ex-Browns DC Ray Horton might make a good replacement if Zimmer does leave. He played here and coached in PIttsburgh, Arizona and Cleveland so he is very familiar with the landscape.

As for Gruden, he was a welcome change from Brat three years ago. He did a good job of bringing Andy along from scratch but I think they both were limiting each other now. I think Jay may have been in Andy's head a little. Hopefully Hue will be that calming voice that will keep Andy off of tilt when things don't go well.

I also wonder if Marvin will exert his influence a little more and have a stronger say in the offense, ie, run the ball more.

Cincinnati can't go to a 3-4. The personel, is built for a 4-3

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Horton runs a 3-4 tho...

True. He is a disciple of Dick LeBeau as a player and position coach. But a lot of Zim's stuff was a hybrid 3-4 too. Heck it's hard to know what teams are running anymore with all of the standing up and moving around that goes on before the snap.

Does anyone think Guenther is next in line? I wasn't impressed with his personal presence on Hard Knocks. He almost seemed apologetic at times. I fear he will be a pushover compared to Zimmer's demanding personality.

Also, it's been over an hour since this stuff started breaking and bengals.com still has nothing about Gruden or Hue Jackson.

I think Horton runs a 3-4 tho...

True. He is a disciple of Dick LeBeau as a player and position coach. But a lot of Zim's stuff was a hybrid 3-4 too. Heck it's hard to know what teams are running anymore with all of the standing up and moving around that goes on before the snap.

Does anyone think Guenther is next in line? I wasn't impressed with his personal presence on Hard Knocks. He almost seemed apologetic at times. I fear he will be a pushover compared to Zimmer's demanding personality.

Also, it's been over an hour since this stuff started breaking and bengals.com still has nothing about Gruden or Hue Jackson.

I'm sure they have dial-up! It'll take a little while. Geoff Hobson is probably typing away as we speak!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2014/01/09/hue-jackson-expected-to-become-bengals-offensive-coordinator/

This snippet was buried at the end of this article. I wonder if it's contingent on Pops Zimmer getting another job somewhere else or if he might be staying.

"Adam Zimmer was hired Tuesday as the new assistant defensive backs coach."

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2014/01/09/hue-jackson-expected-to-become-bengals-offensive-coordinator/

This snippet was buried at the end of this article. I wonder if it's contingent on Pops Zimmer getting another job somewhere else or if he might be staying.

AZ was already assistant DB coach. And contrary to the sentence before that one in the article Hue was RB coach last year. I think Reedy Dave Clark effed up copy/pasting from an old article.

http://cincinnati.co...ve-coordinator/

AZ was already assistant DB coach. And contrary to the sentence before that one in the article Hue was RB coach last year. I think Reedy Dave Clark effed up copy/pasting from an old article.

That's what I was thinking when I read it. I thought it was odd that it was part of the Hue Jackson article and not a side note or separate topic. I know he was on the staff this season but I am not sure of his specific title. And I can't confirm it on the dot-com since they are still working on the Jay Gruden story lol.

I'd just be happy with a little balance. Is that too much to ask? This team always seems so damn one dimensional on offense. Either they run 70% of the time, or they pass it 70% of the time.

We had several games this season with good balance.

But, Gruden simply seemed too reactionary. Instead of developing a gameplan and seeing it through, it seemed like he was willing to scrap the whole thing and go in a completely new direction at the first sign of trouble. Adjustments are necessary, sure, but he tended to go overboard.

I think he lost his head multiple times as a play-caller and it cost us. Badly.

I'm not unhappy about Hue, but something about the whole deal leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If Hue is such a great offensive mind that they have to hire him right now, this minute, with no consideration of anyone else...what was he doing d*cking around on the Bengals' staff for two years? Why are Mike Zimmer and even Jay Gruden having to beat suitors off with sticks while the amazing Hue's phone doesn't ring?

And then...I mean, obviously this has been the plan for two years, that Hue gets handed the job when Jay gets a HC gig (or maybe even just when Jay's contract ran out). Am I alone in thinking that this might not be the end of the plan? That Marvin is lining his special assistant and bestest buddy up to take over when he calls it a day? That the man everyone loves, Mike Zimmer, doesn't actually have a shot at a HC job here, because the current HC's pal is being groomed for it?

I dunno. As long as Hue is successful no one will care anyhow. But there's just something so...Bengals...about this I don't like.

Good luck, Hue.

I wondered about Hue not being on any short lists either. Maybe his tenure in Oakland scared some folks away as this link surmises.

http://www.silverand...-not-head-coach

Perhaps he was handsomely payed to wait his turn, knowing that Jay would eventually be gone. And he fits all of the requirements for the hiring process so maybe they were able to bypass interviewing anyone else. Maybe they were afraid that Jay or Zim would offer him the same position for more and then they may be down three rather than two guys.

I never thought of Hue eventually taking Marvin's place but that seems to connect more of the dots.

Good for them in having a coordinator (or head coach) in waiting on the current staff for continuity but I hope they got the right guy. Succession planning is a big deal in many industries and that seems to be what this is, even though the search was limited to one.

I read a quote about one of the teams (Cleveland, Washington?) and all of the people they interviewed. The writer said they were following the "Al Davis Plan" which was to interview a large and diverse group of people by "casting the wide net" and try to gain some inside knowledge on how the other teams operate while going through the interview process. It actually makes sense but it's not gonna happen here it seems.

I'm not unhappy about Hue, but something about the whole deal leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If Hue is such a great offensive mind that they have to hire him right now, this minute, with no consideration of anyone else...what was he doing d*cking around on the Bengals' staff for two years? Why are Mike Zimmer and even Jay Gruden having to beat suitors off with sticks while the amazing Hue's phone doesn't ring?

And then...I mean, obviously this has been the plan for two years, that Hue gets handed the job when Jay gets a HC gig (or maybe even just when Jay's contract ran out). Am I alone in thinking that this might not be the end of the plan? That Marvin is lining his special assistant and bestest buddy up to take over when he calls it a day? That the man everyone loves, Mike Zimmer, doesn't actually have a shot at a HC job here, because the current HC's pal is being groomed for it?

I dunno. As long as Hue is successful no one will care anyhow. But there's just something so...Bengals...about this I don't like.

Good luck, Hue.

It does feel inbred.

Seriously, has Hue been out to interview for any of the openings? The Titans job looks to be a decent match for Hue, or even Detroit.

The timing is the suspect part, all line up and ready to pop. Hey, maybe the Bengals should have interviewed at least a few people before simply tossing it to Hue. And he's not a bad choice but the way it "feels" is slightly greasy.

All good questions.

I think his last tenure in Oakland was enough to keep people at bay. Who knows why he wasn't getting other looks the last few years? Maybe he's been around enough and wanted to end back up with the Bengals, regardless. There's alot of teams, mostly college, that bring people up through the ranks knowing that they will be given an opportunity to step in. Maybe this was common knowledge around PBS and everyone was cool with it. Seems with the tenured coaching staffs they've had the last 20 plus years, most of these guys are cool just being position coaches anyway.