Gruden getting attention

cincyhokie

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/06/titans-lions-and-vikings-reportedly-request-interviews-with-jay-gruden/

Not sure if anything else within reason could possibly make me happier.

It also makes you reflect and wonder about the overall purpose in brining in Hue Jackson. I think they know Gruden won't be here forever.

Another noted aspect of this is the interest by the Vikings AND Lions. Interdivision competition.

This might actually happen.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've discussed this before, but let's say Gruden goes. Many have said Hue Jackson may be the one that management decides to replace him with.

What is everyone's thoughts about, assuming we stay healthy, that having Gruden gone and Jackson in, will that make a signficant difference?

My own opinion is that it might! For me the jury is still out on how much of this is Gruden and how much is Dalton.

Like someone pointed out, we started the game with 2 8 yard runs and switched to the pass.

I think Dalton is limited. I do think that the play calling and offensive gameplanning can help him. I don't think he is the long term answer. Yesterday, he showed why he is no better than Jon Kitna. He is what he is. Hopefully, the Bengals aren't holding out hope that somehow he develops more talent overnight.

I think that Dalton staying dictates a move with a new OC to see just how much can be worked out, if any.

It really seems to be a no brainer to me. Granted I don't work for the team and i'm just a fan, but something has to be done.

Who is accountable for what the heck happened ?? Gruden is a good start.

Glad he's getting attention.

We've discussed this before, but let's say Gruden goes. Many have said Hue Jackson may be the one that management decides to replace him with.

What is everyone's thoughts about, assuming we stay healthy, that having Gruden gone and Jackson in, will that make a signficant difference?

My own opinion is that it might! For me the jury is still out on how much of this is Gruden and how much is Dalton.

Like someone pointed out, we started the game with 2 8 yard runs and switched to the pass.

I agree. I think Hue would make a positive difference

When Gruden came here he promised a power running game, I have seen nothing of it since he has been here.

We all think Andy struggles, well how about he dosnt throw it 40-50 times a game like he has. I think Gruden gets to greedy.

Give me somebody who will run the ball 30 or more times a game and throws it 25 times or less. Give me somebody who will get the best out of the screen game which is very important.

I get that the running is going out the door, but I think it's time to bring it back. Keep building the defense, become a dominant running game, and start actually playing a WCO. I do think Hue could do that. Hire him now, before he leaves

When Gruden came here he promised a power running game, I have seen nothing of it since he has been here.

We all think Andy struggles, well how about he dosnt throw it 40-50 times a game like he has. I think Gruden gets to greedy.

Give me somebody who will run the ball 30 or more times a game and throws it 25 times or less. Give me somebody who will get the best out of the screen game which is very important.

I get that the running is going out the door, but I think it's time to bring it back. Keep building the defense, become a dominant running game, and start actually playing a WCO. I do think Hue could do that. Hire him now, before he leaves

When the Bengals run 100 yards or more I believe Dalton is 19-3.

Yep it's a simple solution. I get that you get down and have to throw the ball, but there have been plenty of games where they fall down by 1 score and Gruden panics and just throws the ball. So my theory is become a running team, and if that means screen passes then great. Continue to build that dominate defense, which will get you through games, and build that o-line up and pound the ball! Andy will be fine if has that run game and protection, he can make the throws and he showed it this year when he has time. Also work on his pocket presence, and getting him out of pocket more

Invest in the O line like Denver and NE. Pray.

If Dalton has perfect protection he's serviceable.

Not sure about Peyton, but as much exposure as the Pats have had since Brady, I've always said how well management has kept a solid O line in tact, because 90% of the time, Brady is throwing flat footed in the pocket.

Wile E. Gruden, Super Genius:

Jay: if I had it to do over again, I'd run more power O and try to blow them off the ball more #BengalsLine @holygrailbanks

Jay on going away from run: sometimes I give other D coordinator too much credit, thinking this can't keep working, can it? #Bengals Line

He is what he is, an Arena wizard.

You might be on to something there COB. If Jay is still here next season, they need to hire some old guy with a beard, give him a robe, staff and a pointy hat, and have him stand behind Gruden every game and scream, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" every 30 seconds or so. And every time Andy does throw he gets to hit Jay in the head with the staff.

Jay: if I had it to do over again, I'd run more power O and try to blow them off the ball more #BengalsLine @holygrailbanks

Jay on going away from run: sometimes I give other D coordinator too much credit, thinking this can't keep working, can it? #Bengals Line

Oh for f**ks sake! Seriously?

I just read all the latest stuff by Hobbs on the website.

Marvin is definitely staying and so is Andy.

Best angle for change is a new OC.

Let's put it this way, at least with a new OC we will get a good idea how much of it was Gruden.

I get it. Mike's like, "we just won the division. The playoffs are a bit of an oxcart/ditch situation." Then he hides George Bailey's $8,000 in the davenport, and cackles wildly.

Oh for f**ks sake! Seriously?

Exactly Hokie. How does this guy make a comment like that and still have a job ??

It's comments like those that make me wonder why there is such interest in Gruden as a head coach. I supported bringing him in three years ago, but since then he hasn't shown any improvement. His playcalling is all over the board. He hasn't shown any ability to develop talent like Zimmer has. And as these comments demonstrate he doesn't seem to have good instincts. He is tentative and not assertive in games. Remember his comments about watching the O line up on 4th and 1, seeing the play was doomed, and he "probably" should have used a time out but didn't?

Thanks. I still don't get it but whatever.

On the other front, am I the only one reminded of Dick LeBeau when I read all these Zimmer stories about how some team should hire him as head coach? They sounded just the same more than a decade ago. If he goes, hopefully he has better luck.