Andy Dalton Sucks!

HoosierCat

Dalton's QB game ratings in nationally televised games (Monday night, Sunday night, Thursday night, playoffs):

51.4 (2011 playoff game) loss

65.3 (2012) loss

56.4 (2012) loss

74.2 (2012) win

44.7 (2012 playoff game) loss

81.7 (2013) win

55.4 (2013) loss

86.4 (2013) loss

well, well below his career average. He's been a little better this year, but started pretty slow in those two 80+ games. As stated many times, the Bengals really need Dalton to start games strong because this is not an offense that can change a game's momentum.

team won only 2 out of the 8 games

Who were the opponents? I think the thing that people keep forgetting is that in both playoff games, Andy was facing a Top 5 defense. And most of the nationally televised games are against either the Steelers or the Ravens, who as we know have strong defenses.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't that "nationally televised" is particularly relevant. Rather, I suspect the fact the games are out of the Bengals' normal time slot has more to do with it. Marvin has harped on how he'd like a full slate of Sunday 1 pm games for years.

FWIW since 2011 the Bengals are 9-3 at home on Sundays at 1

Just for kicks and giggles, I put the first 3 year stats together of some of the current NFL QBs:

Rankings per Category for First Full 3 Seasons of Play:

Completion Percentage

1. Fat Ben - 62.9%

2. Rivers - 62.4%

3. Brady - 62.6%

4. Flacco - 61.9%

5. Brees - 61.3%

6. Dalton - 60.8%

7. P. Manning - 60.4%

8. E. Manning - 55.3%

Total Yards

1. P. Manning - 12287

2. Dalton - 11363

3. Rivers - 10549

4. E. Manning- 10342

5. Brady - 10227

6. Flacco - 10206

7. Brees - 8551

8. Fat Ben - 8492

TDs

1. P. Manning - 85

2. Dalton - 80

3. Rivers - 77

4. E. Manning - 71

5. Brady - 69

6. Flacco - 60

7. Fat Ben - 8492

8. Brees - 45

Interceptions (Fewest First)

1. Flacco - 34

2. Rivers - 35

3. Brady - 38

4. Brees - 38

5. Fat Ben - 43

6. Dalton - 49

7. E. Manning - 55

8. P. Manning - 58

I would say Andy is hanging in there.

I gotta admit, that TD total from Fat Ben is quite impressive. :sure:/>

:blink:

Thread corrected. Ben had 43 TDs!

I don't that "nationally televised" is particularly relevant. Rather, I suspect the fact the games are out of the Bengals' normal time slot has more to do with it. Marvin has harped on how he'd like a full slate of Sunday 1 pm games for years.

It certainly seems like a great set-up for Dalton to finally have a good nationally televised performance: a home game against a West Coast opponent playing in the early slot; not the most physical opponent; not an opponent that's going to run away with a game.

but Andy surely feels a lot of pressure, too, after two crap playoff performances and with all of that money at stake when his contract expires.

if team loses and Andy puts up a 55 QBR, things'll get ugly around here.

It certainly seems like a great set-up for Dalton to finally have a good nationally televised performance: a home game against a West Coast opponent playing in the early slot; not the most physical opponent; not an opponent that's going to run away with a game.

but Andy surely feels a lot of pressure, too, after two crap playoff performances and with all of that money at stake when his contract expires.

if team loses and Andy puts up a 55 QBR, things'll get ugly around here.

Outside of the few 'logical/common sense' fans here, princeton, do you really think just winning a playoff game will give him a pass, especially with the media turds?

As far as they are concerned, either you win the SB, or you're a loser!

Not at all how I see it, but most non-Viking and Bills fans, remember them for losing 4 SBs! Not MAKING it to 4 SBs, but LOSING them!

For those wondering what the Dalton might get in a new contract, the Bears just signed Jay Cutler to a 7 year extension. Cutler's career rating is 84.6 vs. 85.7 for Andy so there is some parallel, tho Jay is older (30). Waiting on the numbers...

ETA ...info begins to trickle in. First report says deal averages $18 million a year over the first three years. No word yet on guaranteed coin which of course is what counts...

Per ESPN.
/>http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10231142/jay-cutler-chicago-bears-signs-7-year-contract

Although terms were not released, Cutler's deal is expected to eclipse the $17.6 million average the Detroit Lions gave Matthew Stafford in July. It also includes at least $50 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

For as much as I've defended Andy, if he totally s**ts the bed in this game, I'm going to be pissed. I believe I have good reasons to support him, but only he can seal the deal and if he craps all over a third playoff game in a row, I'm not sure how I'll be able to support not looking elsewhere. As always, I see more upside than downside to Andy, but not if the guy can't win s**t in the post season.

hey, I'm hopeful. Flacco stunk in his first two seasons of playoff games, then got decent/good in year 3.

Andy's got more pressure on him than Flacco ever did, since Ravens team didn't depend on the QB as much as the Bengals depend on Dalton. If Andy comes through, then the contract decision gets very easy.

I also think that this offense doesn't actually believe in itself. It doesn't come back well, doesn't perform well in national games, and can get out-physicaled by the better defenses. A great performance by Dalton in a playoff game would help the offense to believe in itself, and I think that we'd see a quantum improvement in results both this year and in future years.

conversely, if it sucks again, I foresee more of the same in years to come.

no pressure Andy, but Sunday's game is a BFD...

I will be pissed at Dalton if he plays like sh*t and they lose, but I won't give up on him either.

If he deserves the bashing, he will get it.

That being said, while I think the Bengals are capable of going into Foxboro and winning that game (should they beat the Chargers) I can't sit here in all honesty and tell you I believe they will. If they win this Sunday and then Dalton has a good game in a loss to the Patriots, I still expect the questions to come about Dalton.

Again, I'm not about to give up on a guy that has taken this team to the playoffs each season he's been here after setting single season records in passing yards and TD's. While I would rather see him give up those records for more playoff wins, you can't dismiss them either.

I will be pissed at Dalton if he plays like sh*t and they lose, but I won't give up on him either.

If he deserves the bashing, he will get it.

That being said, while I think the Bengals are capable of going into Foxboro and winning that game (should they beat the Chargers) I can't sit here in all honesty and tell you I believe they will. If they win this Sunday and then Dalton has a good game in a loss to the Patriots, I still expect the questions to come about Dalton.

Again, I'm not about to give up on a guy that has taken this team to the playoffs each season he's been here after setting single season records in passing yards and TD's. While I would rather see him give up those records for more playoff wins, you can't dismiss them either.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to continue my support for him if he stinks again in the playoffs. I think he has a bright future in this league, but only if he can prove that he can lead through the most difficult situations. As for the claim that the O can't come back, I don't agree with the people who are saying that. Our O came back against both Balt and Miami, and though they didn't win either of those games, they sure did manage to put as back in contention at the end. Forcing OT after falling several scores behind shows a lot about the Os courage and unwillingness to quit. But all is for naught if we can't even beat a Charges team that failed against KCs backups.

What if he plays well and the Oline or D or special teams lays an egg?

Dropped passes? Fumbles?

Unless Andy throws for 3 scores and 270+ yards, people will lay the loss on him just like they did the second Pitt game. Special teams blew that game and all I heard about was Andy this and Andy that, despite 230 and a pair of TDs.

I don't agree with much of the criticism out there in regards to Dalton, but can certainly acknowledge what weaknesses he appears to have.

I will be pissed if they lose the game to the Chargers, but not so much if they lose to the Patriots in Foxboro and Dalton has a solid game.

While the season wouldn't be considered a success in regards to not winning it all, it would yet again be a step in the right direction.

I don't agree with much of the criticism out there in regards to Dalton, but can certainly acknowledge what weaknesses he appears to have.

I will be pissed if they lose the game to the Chargers, but not so much if they lose to the Patriots in Foxboro and Dalton has a solid game.

While the season wouldn't be considered a success in regards to not winning it all, it would yet again be a step in the right direction.

IF we have no turnovers, minimal amount of penalties, sound fundamental tackling, no dropped passes, the ONLY team that has the defense and offense to beat us is Seattle.

HOWEVER......in the last 25 years the SB has been won by the team with the best record during the season only 6 TIMES! And by only 4 teams because Dallas did it 3 times!

Odds are NOT in favor of the Broncos or Seahawks winning it.

IF we have no turnovers, minimal amount of penalties, sound fundamental tackling, no dropped passes

IF that is the case, the Bengals are Super Bowl champions.

IF we have no turnovers, minimal amount of penalties, sound fundamental tackling, no dropped passes

IF that is the case, the Bengals are Super Bowl champions.

Well by George what are we waiting for? Let's get this show on the road!

Interesting structure to the Cutler deal per Florio.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Cutler will make $54 million over the next three years, with a rolling guarantee that starts at $17.5 million upon signing, increases to $38 million on March 14, 2014, moves to $48 million in March 2015, and caps out at $54 million in March 2016.

The deal contains no signing bonus, creating a pay-as-you-go series of cap charges for the Bears, based only on his base salaries.

In 2014, Cutler will earn a base salary of $22.5 million. In 2015, the base salary is $15.5 million. In 2016, it increases to $16 million.

After 2016, the deal becomes a year-to-year, no-cap-hit proposition, with salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019, and $19.2 million in 2020. In each of those four seasons, Cutler earns $156,250 for each game he appears on the active roster, for a maximum additional earnings of $2.5 million per year and $10 million over four.

Thus, he’ll get the full $126.7 million only if he’s on the active roster for every game from 2017 through 2020.

The contract also has an annual de-escalator of $500,000 based on participating in the offseason workout program. If he fails to show up, the base salary reduces accordingly.

It’s a real three-year, $54 million contract, with a team-held option at lower rates for each of the next four years.