Andy Dalton Sucks!

HoosierCat

Again, i'm not saying, nor have I ever said that Dalton is without flaws and that I am 100% comfortable with him.

I have even admitted that he may not be the long term answer for this organization.

All that being said, I get sick of people comparing him to some of the all time greats and wondering why he isn't them.

I also think it's ungodly unfair how a player like Cam Newton goes unscathed despite his lack of anything until this season ??

Other QB's have bad games just as Dalton has, their teams didn't make the playoffs, and yet nothing.

Dalton hasn't done well in the big game and that needs to change, but somehow that equates him to Ryan Leaf ??

Yes, i've seen and heard those comparisons.

I couldn't agree more Army and obviously, at the very least, management believes there is no alternative to him regardless.

What we CAN do is hope Gruden gets hired, and see if a change in OC will make enough of a difference, because we do know that this possibility is a reality because Gruden is setting up interviews as we speak.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Blake Bortles play qb for Central Florida vs. Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl. I thought he looked pretty good, I would trade Dalton and seriously consider trading up to draft Bortles in the 1st round.

Trying to sign Josh McCown is another option.

Regardless, unfortunately I think it is time to move on from Andy Dalton. He's had enough time to show what he can do, and unfortunately I don't think he is the answer going forward.

I think Marvin's time here as the head coach should be up also, he was given 11 years, that's enough time. Hire Zimmer as the head coach and maybe make Marvin the gm if Mike will step aside.

Good article from cleveland.com about Bortles:

/>http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_and_nfl_am_li_239.html

After seeing the latest articles on the website, that's not going to happen for 2014 at least.

Speaking from up here in Chicagoland (15 below, thank you very much) McCown is expected to stay put

In any event, the Bengals have made it pretty clear the are sticking with Andy.

It's even cold down here in Florida this morning! 45 degrees! Brrrrrr!

Do something about that Greg, i'll be coming down to Orlando with the family next week for vacation.

:sure:

Speaking from up here in Chicagoland (15 below, thank you very much) McCown is expected to stay put

In any event, the Bengals have made it pretty clear the are sticking with Andy.

It's even cold down here in Florida this morning! 45 degrees! Brrrrrr!

Do something about that Greg, i'll be coming down to Orlando with the family next week for vacation.

:sure:/>/>

Cool! Orlando is usually about 10 degrees cooler than down here in SW Florida.

Just checked the extended forecast for there and it is supposed to be highs in the 70s low in the 50s. PERFECT!!

Good to see Mike Brown has made national headlines again.

"I wanted Colin Kaepernick. The coaches wanted Dalton."

Now all jokes aside, this among other things, leads me to believe that there is a likely scenario that the Bengals being looking for Dalton's replacement this offseason. If you wait until after Dalton's contract year, all of the leverage is in his corner. It is smart business to hedge your bet if you're the Bengals.

I'm putting my money on them drafting a QB AND Gruden being gone.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000310118/article/mike-brown-wanted-colin-kaepernick-over-andy-dalton

Yeah, that was brought up in another thread about him wanting Kaepernick.

Thing is, I give him credit for taking a step back and letting the coaches get the guy they want to run their system.

If Kaepernick came here with similar results, the story would be how Mike Brown needs to take a step back from football decisions.

It could be a sign of things to come should a new OC come in, but i'm still not thinking so.

Dalton is certainly a Marvin Lewis guy and has been from the job. All you need to do is listen to that video of him talking about why they wanted him.

Dalton is clearly the guy Marvin wanted to QB this team moving forward and I think he will for at least one more season.

Do they draft a QB this year ?? Maybe, but it's not like the guy will be starting.

Yeah, that was brought up in another thread about him wanting Kaepernick.

Thing is, I give him credit for taking a step back and letting the coaches get the guy they want to run their system.

If Kaepernick came here with similar results, the story would be how Mike Brown needs to take a step back from football decisions.

It could be a sign of things to come should a new OC come in, but i'm still not thinking so.

Dalton is certainly a Marvin Lewis guy and has been from the job. All you need to do is listen to that video of him talking about why they wanted him.

Dalton is clearly the guy Marvin wanted to QB this team moving forward and I think he will for at least one more season.

Do they draft a QB this year ?? Maybe, but it's not like the guy will be starting.

I don't think he would start this year, no. Think about it from a business perspective. Do you really want your QB going into his contract year with no backup option? That gives him all the leverage for a possible contract. Also, if the Bengals were REALLY sold on him, I suspect he would have been given an extention or that we would be hearing of impending contract talks. We haven't.

Draft a QB in 2014. At the very least you have some sort of viable backup, possibly a future starter, or maybe even trade bait if Dalton acts like Joe Montana next season. It's a win-win for the Bengals. Don't draft a QB or get one from a transaction, and you are possibly left paying more money for his contract, not having a replacement if he sucks, or at the worst if he holds out at beginning of camp.

For all of the warranted criticism this front office has taken in the last 20 years, the past 4-5 have been pretty damn solid. I don't think they're just going to let this situation unfold on it's own. I see them being very proactive.

If they draft a QB, it will be someone to challenge JJ, not Dalton. The bottom line is that It just hasn't turned out to be a very good draft for QB.

Of course, QB Dog Killer wants a new starting gig. But I'll be stepping off the bandwagon if that happens.

As for Gruden, I say again, I have no idea what teams see in him. Maybe that he would come cheap? I just dont see him going anywhere...unfortunately.

The Ravens didn't bother with anything for Flacco until he won the Super Bowl.

You can say that was a poor dececision, but no one liked Flacco much either until then.

I see (and prefer) the Bengals bring in a solid vet backup (no I can't name a name at the moment) and provide Andy with a little guidance along the way.

If he is needed to step in, then that would be a possibility as well.

I just don't see them drafting a QB for the future unless they make a move up early in the draft and I don't anticipate that either.

It would require them to mortgage the farm so to speak.

I love what the front office has done in recent years for sure, but Marvin's job is solid for the coming season.

With that thought in mind, I believe Dalton's will be as well.

If they fail again in 2014, it's all on the table to move in another direction.

I can't say that one way or another is the 100% correct way to go and could argue both sides for sure.

Again, i'm not saying, nor have I ever said that Dalton is without flaws and that I am 100% comfortable with him.

I have even admitted that he may not be the long term answer for this organization.

All that being said, I get sick of people comparing him to some of the all time greats and wondering why he isn't them.

I also think it's ungodly unfair how a player like Cam Newton goes unscathed despite his lack of anything until this season ??

Other QB's have bad games just as Dalton has, their teams didn't make the playoffs, and yet nothing.

Dalton hasn't done well in the big game and that needs to change, but somehow that equates him to Ryan Leaf ??

Yes, i've seen and heard those comparisons.

This is what drives me nuts. Romo missed playoffs again, and he gets re-assured. Matt Stafford? 7-9 Only been to the playoffs once along with 1 winning record in 5 seasons.He is interviewing coaches? Michael Vick, in his best year totaled 30 tds, Dalton in his 3rd season totaled 35. Anyone that thinks Josh McCown and his 16 wins in 11 NFL seasons is the answer, is doing what it seems like everyone is doing. Imagining the new guy, whoever it is. Will be the man. Week 1, we all seen that pass that hit AJ right in the hands was picked off, remember the Sanu fumble? All Daltons fault? The fumble by Gio was huge, and the announcers were bragging about Daltons 1st half. 2nd half he pressed and fell apart. That pass hit AJ right in the hands between 2 guys, and he dropped it. AJ gets a free pass?

Same stuff different year, Walter. This is pretty much every postseason thread from 1992 through 2002, except then we really did suck. Now we're AFCN champs and the cry is still, blow it up! New coach, new coordinators, new QB! And of course the favorite chestnuts of fire Paul Alexander and...yes, wait for it...hire a GM (in this case Marvin).

The Ravens didn't bother with anything for Flacco until he won the Super Bowl.

You can say that was a poor dececision, but no one liked Flacco much either until then.

I see (and prefer) the Bengals bring in a solid vet backup (no I can't name a name at the moment) and provide Andy with a little guidance along the way.

If he is needed to step in, then that would be a possibility as well.

I just don't see them drafting a QB for the future unless they make a move up early in the draft and I don't anticipate that either.

It would require them to mortgage the farm so to speak.

I love what the front office has done in recent years for sure, but Marvin's job is solid for the coming season.

With that thought in mind, I believe Dalton's will be as well.

If they fail again in 2014, it's all on the table to move in another direction.

I can't say that one way or another is the 100% correct way to go and could argue both sides for sure.

It's hard to compare Flacco and Dalton. The Ravens made it known they wanted Flacco before the 2012 season when they offered him a contract. He turned it down, won the SB, and made more money. The Ravens were going to retain him either way, that situation was about contract.

This situation is more about "is this QB the one we keep for the future?". I'm not putting stock in a Marvin Lewis press conference quote as saying "he's our guy". Really? Let's see the contract talks then. Because if he goes into the 2014 season without a contract, or at least a contract offer, I'd bet the farm the Bengals have made a move to put a plan B into place. Bet on it.

Gruden is my only true wish to see fired and those comments only confirm my previous views.

That and him admitting they were pressing in the playcalling department in the 3rd quarter after they got down.

Knowing Dalton isn't going anywhere makes me want a new OC very much.

Understanding the selfishness in my words: I really hope Zimmer doesn't get a head coaching gig.

He deserves it, would do well if given the opportunity I think, but I don't want to see him go.

Gruden ?? Not so much.

Same stuff different year, Walter. This is pretty much every postseason thread from 1992 through 2002, except then we really did suck. Now we're AFCN champs and the cry is still, blow it up! New coach, new coordinators, new QB! And of course the favorite chestnuts of fire Paul Alexander and...yes, wait for it...hire a GM (in this case Marvin).

If you're not reassessing, changing, and looking forward, you're losing. The Bengals weren't satisfied with Dalton's play last year. They spent their first 2 picks on giving him more targets. Nothing speaks louder than the Eifert pick.

Just because they won the AFCN, does not mean they shouldn't evaluate where they are. If the Bengals aren't looking at Dalton's body of work, assuming they wish to make it past the first round of the playoffs, they aren't doing their job.

Wanting a new OC and QB, doesn't mean blow it up. In fact, the vast majority of media, analysts, etc agree that it's time to take a hard look at other options.

I have no idea why this would be an overreaction. It's good business.

Gruden is my only true wish to see fired and those comments only confirm my previous views.

That and him admitting they were pressing in the playcalling department in the 3rd quarter after they got down.

Knowing Dalton isn't going anywhere makes me want a new OC very much.

Understanding the selfishness in my words: I really hope Zimmer doesn't get a head coaching gig.

He deserves it, would do well if given the opportunity I think, but I don't want to see him go.

Gruden ?? Not so much.

I'll believe Dalton isn't going anywhere when I see at the very least contract talk rumors, or a signed contract extension. Until then his future past 2014 is not set in stone.

I don't know Sea.

Kaepernick went 16 of 30 with one TD and one INT.

Alex Smith ??

Foles is about on par.

It's certainly a topic that's not so clear cut as it may appear.

After those above you are left with Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Newton, Wilson, Luck.

While Newton may have some serious athletic ability, why has he gotten absolutely ZERO sh*t about his performances ??

How many times has the great #1 overall pick taken his team to the playoffs ??

I mean isn't he expected to put the team on his shoulders like everyone wants Dalton to do ??

F*CK Cam Newton.

Alex Smith and Nick Foles possess a valuable skill that you neglected to mention: they take care of the football. Turnovers are what killed us on Sunday. I think Andy would be a much better QB if he evolved into a guy who was accurate with his passes and did not turn the ball over. That's what he should strive to be and what he should work towards in the off season

If you're not reassessing, changing, and looking forward, you're losing.

Yup, heard that 20 years ago too.

If the Bengals aren't looking at Dalton's body of work, assuming they wish to make it past the first round of the playoffs, they aren't doing their job.

Look at Dalton's body of work? Why yes, I pray they do versus freaking out about Sunday's game and insisting that none of the other games matter because they lost that one. Which is what the vast majority of fans are doing.

Wanting a new OC and QB, doesn't mean blow it up.

Oh come on hokie, you are smarter than that. Of course it does. Bringing in a new coordinator, system and QB is the very definition of blowing it up.

I don't think he would start this year, no. Think about it from a business perspective. Do you really want your QB going into his contract year with no backup option? That gives him all the leverage for a possible contract. Also, if the Bengals were REALLY sold on him, I suspect he would have been given an extention or that we would be hearing of impending contract talks. We haven't.

We haven't heard about contract talks with AJ Green either. Do you think that means that they're unsure if they want to keep him? Of course not. The reason you haven't read of contract talks with either player is that by NFL rules teams are not allowed to re-sign guys from their draft class until after the 2013 season

If you're not reassessing, changing, and looking forward, you're losing.

Yup, heard that 20 years ago too.

If the Bengals aren't looking at Dalton's body of work, assuming they wish to make it past the first round of the playoffs, they aren't doing their job.

Look at Dalton's body of work? Why yes, I pray they do versus freaking out about Sunday's game and insisting that none of the other games matter because they lost that one. Which is what the vast majority of fans are doing.

Wanting a new OC and QB, doesn't mean blow it up.

Oh come on hokie, you are smarter than that. Of course it does. Bringing in a new coordinator, system and QB is the very definition of blowing it up.

Tomato, toe-mah-toe, you say this, I say that.

Regardless. Actions speak louder than a Marvin Lewis press statement the day after a game where the starting QB played like Jon Kitna.

When we see serious extention talks, I'll believe they want to keep him. Until then I will believe they will wait to see what he does, or doesn't do, in 2014. I also believe they will also secure an alternate plan in some sort.

Let's get away from the dramatics, here. New OC, new QB in 2011. I think things went way better than expected. Also, the OC and QB are not the strenghts of this team. The defense is. Because of that, I think this team can manage a needed change on the other side of the ball just fine.

We haven't heard about contract talks with AJ Green either. Do you think that means that they're unsure if they want to keep him? Of course not. The reason you haven't read of contract talks with either player is that by NFL rules teams are not allowed to re-sign guys from their draft class until after the 2013 season

Can we get away from semantics a bit? I know we're really close to the situation, and rightfully so. However, if we take a step back and allow ourselves to see what the rest of the country is seeing with an objective eye, we can see what is/has unfolded.

Comparing AJ Green to Andy Dalton is not even close. Not because of talent, but because of position importance.

Can we get away from semantics a bit? I know we're really close to the situation, and rightfully so. However, if we take a step back and allow ourselves to see what the rest of the country is seeing with an objective eye, we can see what is/has unfolded.

Comparing AJ Green to Andy Dalton is not even close. Not because of talent, but because of position importance.

It's not semantics. It's reality and fact. As for Andy Dalton, his contract situation and how the Bengals handle it is huge. Will they commit a ton of cap space to him? It's too early to tell

Ah, yes. Good point. That I hadn't thought of. True, true.

Here's a good article from ESPN Insider about the situation. Also, another option would be if the Bengals went NE/Denver style on the O-line. If they did that and made it a high priority, i.e. replacing Cook and Boling, shoring up the tackle spot in the draft, adding depth. THEN...that would be a sign that Dalton is staying. I would be alot more ok with that, than a blatant refusal to see how a pourous line can affect him so much.

/>http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=120523

I just finished a gig and saw and read the posts here since early morning. A lot of possibilities and ideas and yes this is where we share and bounce things around.

I like to try and see where we are and what we DO know about management and where their direction is and build from that.

I'm 99% sure Marvin or Andy isn't leaving this year.

Gruden is interviewing for HC.

I will follow that as it unfolds hoping he gets an offer and goes because IMHO that's the only shot at any positive change and it will also give them more perspective on Dalton.

Management may not see a viable veteran option for Dalton and 'may' draft a QB to compete with Johnson.

But to keep pointing out that Lewis and Dalton should go is nothing more than opinion because they've made it clear they are staying.