Latest Offensive Line News

gregcook68

Well speaking of O-Line talk sound like Pollack is the starter as of today! While I like Pollack I HATE this! Really last week was one of the best o-line play I have seen, and they are going to screw this up!!!!!!!

Question is can Pollack pull and mull the Whit did? Or does that not even matter anymore? Sometimes I just don't get it.

Given Pitt's oline disaster last week he would have been signed unless he had a leg falling off or something.

I know everyone hates Roland but at this point he was the best possible signing.

Whats the background on Roland? Why don't we like him?

Now that I learned he turned down Yinzerville for the Bengals, I love Roland. Even if watching him play gives me vertigo.

Previously, no love for Roland due to unnatural resemblance to turnstile.

Roland is not a bad player. He struggles against outside speed but is otherwise strong (bull rushers and in run blocking). He's inferior to Smith and Collins but serves a great backup role. He can spell inside, too. With Collins and Roland Bengals could be seen as having among the best T back-ups in the league.

The guy who I wish we'd held onto is Evan Mathis. Since Alexander had a three year hard on for Nate Livings, Mahis got run out after playing Pro Bowl level at LG (gave up NO sacks in 09 or 10). So, had we kept Mathis, composition of the line could potentially be even better and they'd have been able to spend those picks for Boling and Hudson elsewhere.

Hobson just posted the latest on the offensive line drama. Here is the whole article link and some excerpts below:

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/On-guard/20d7dd47-a7b7-47fc-a949-2687bab744d7

Alexander definitely hasn't made up his mind yet:

Of course, after all this, one knows if he's going to play left guard in Sunday's 1 p.m. game (Cincinnati's Channel 12) against the Colts at sold-out Paul Brown Stadium. Whitworth, like he did for all but five plays last week, after moving from left tackle? Or Mike Pollak? Or somebody else?

Don't ask. Alexander hasn't even told his players. It may be a moot point. Right guard Kevin Zeitler was on the field Wednesday for the first time since he injured his foot Nov. 10 in Baltimore, but he didn't have his helmet and was working on the side. If he doesn't go, it figures again to be Whitworth at left guard and Pollak at right. And if Zeitler has another "did not practice" Thursday, he probably won't go.

It sounds like Whit feels he should play guard, that's what's best for the team:

"Yeah, I do think I can help set the tone easier at guard," Whitworth said. "You're in tighter, you're not outside, you can be more physical and I like to be physical and pound it."

If it sounds like Whitworth wants to play guard, he does because he thinks it will help them win. He also thinks he can help them win at tackle. But the coaches have gone to the nth degree this week to make sure he wouldn't be upset with the move. What they're getting back is what you'd expect from an offensive captain:

"I think I've in every way on and off the football field, given everything I have to this organization," Whitworth said. "That goes from mentoring guys to just being a voice and leadership. So whatever that role is. If they want me to do kick return, I'll do it."

"At guard, it's more of a mauling position; it's a physical, strong, violent position. A lot of things you can do at guard, you're not allowed to do at tackle," Whitworth said. "You can't grab and throw guys, you can't really drive on guys that much. You just don't have that leeway because the position you play a lot of the times, there's no way. Those guys are too athletic for you to do that stuff to them. So guard's definitely a more physical position."

The article finishes off sounding like Alexander is going to go with whatever works:

Now the fun will be to see how they line up. And then it may just be beginning.

"Who knows?" Alexander said. "The second snap might be different."

Nate Livings got a fa deal from Dallas, played like absolute s**t last year, then to start this year he got benched, got hurt, then got cut. He was an udfa who spent two full seasons on our practice squad.

He was a classic depth guy. The only reason he started was because he was part of Alexander's ongoing performance art piece that he has titled, "How Much Weird And Completely Ficked Up Stuff Can I Do Before Mike Brown Fires Me." He was up for a Nobel Prize in art for starting Trampled-check for two years, but got beat out by a French guy who made a working parachute out of live poodles and jumped off the Eifel Tower with it.

• Like 1

Nate Livings got a fa deal from Dallas, played like absolute s**t last year, then to start this year he got benched, got hurt, then got cut. He was an udfa who spent two full seasons on our practice squad.

He was a classic depth guy. The only reason he started was because he was part of Alexander's ongoing performance art piece that he has titled, "How Much Weird And Completely Ficked Up Stuff Can I Do Before Mike Brown Fires Me." He was up for a Nobel Prize in art for starting Trampled-check for two years, but got beat out by a French guy who made a working parachute out of live poodles and jumped off the Eifel Tower with it.

The one successful guy that got away was Evan Mathis. He seems to be a top end lineman for the Eagles. Stacy Andrews, on the other hand, not so much.

More of the same discussion here about Whit playing guard. Having that flexibility is a good thing even if he doesn't play there all the time. It's good to know that they can move guys around if they need to grind it out some.

"I feel best when we've had a lot of years we played a lot of guys. Not just five," Alexander said. "I really like that kind of thing. You can get a blow, you can be more aggressive, you can go hard, they don't know exactly what you're doing. There are advantages in that. I would love to play that way."

http://news.cincinna...PT02/312040142/