Sign Michael Johnson?

gregcook68

I can't say as I would mind seeing MJ stick around, but I can't see the Bengals doing another big deal like that.

People can say all they want that with the off season (compared to last years) that he may come cheaper.

I'm simply not buying. Pass rushers are something teams have overpayed for time and time again.

MJ will get a nice long term deal, but I don't think it's here.

I can't say as I would mind seeing MJ stick around, but I can't see the Bengals doing another big deal like that.

People can say all they want that with the off season (compared to last years) that he may come cheaper.

I'm simply not buying. Pass rushers are something teams have overpayed for time and time again.

MJ will get a nice long term deal, but I don't think it's here.

It saddens me today, how difficult it is to keep teams (baseball and football) together.

I'm an old timer (60) and have seen these sports go from one extreme to the other.

There was a day when the athletes had to work jobs in the off season to makes ends meet.

Now they are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a kids game!!

Nature of the beast my friend, nature of the beast.

Absolutely! It's a Catch 22. Fans don't want the sport to die, and because of that the teams can afford the salaries.

Only way to squash it, would be to stop attending games. That will never happen, although since the baseball and football strikes in the 80s I think I've been to 3 football games and about a half dozen baseball games. I still follow the Reds and Bengals but don't follow and keep up with much beyond that like I used to.

Margus Hunt was drafted to be Michael Johnson's replacement IMHO. I don't believe he is back unless he takes a serious paycut....like in the 3-4 million per year range (and that is not a pay cut of 3-4 million it is a paycheck of 3-4 million which is a 70+% paycut over what he is making this year and I don't see that happening)

MJ won't and shouldn't take a pay cut.

I think they should try to sign him. The money is there. They are overpaying BJGE, Peko, and Whit. If anyone could/should take a cut, it's Whit. He should kick inside and take a small paycut. It will extend his career, and his total earnings.

Also, and this is gonna sound cold, but Leon Hall is probably gonna be done, too. Hard enough to come back from one Achilles, let alone two. His career is over, and they have Dre to step in (he has to get a shot).

MJ and Collins deserve what they have coming to them. Money will be there when they stop paying Peko, BJGE, Whit and Hall.

I never envisioned a possibility of MJ taking less and he has no reason to do that now.

While he may not be having a 2012 season, he will be a big name this coming free agency period.

Teams will always be willing to overpay for a pass rusher.

Burfict will be a free agent after next season, but is only due to make 570,333 next season.

He has certainly earned a payday for sure and don't want to see any scenario where he leaves.

Things are going to be tough with these guys.

I think Gresham is history after his rookie deal.

I never envisioned a possibility of MJ taking less and he has no reason to do that now.

While he may not be having a 2012 season, he will be a big name this coming free agency period.

Teams will always be willing to overpay for a pass rusher.

Burfict will be a free agent after next season, but is only due to make 570,333 next season.

He has certainly earned a payday for sure and don't want to see any scenario where he leaves.

Things are going to be tough with these guys.

I think Gresham is history after his rookie deal.

Gotta keep Burfict.

Newman and Jones make some coin. The defensive backfield will be evolving soon, so there is some money to free up there. Now that I think about it, Atkins didn't get as much as I thought he'd get, so there's that.

Also, Cook makes good cake for a barely average center. Robinson can progress and maybe take over.

I'm convinced there is a way to make it happen.

I know Newman is getting up there (no, he IS up there), but he is still playing well.

I want to see another high end CB added, but he HAS to hit in 2014. They can't afford another round of Kirkpatrick.

While I like to see him come along, we need the next first round CB to be capable of starting sooner rather than years later.

I'm sure there is a way to get it done, but I'm left to wonder how much of that will come at the expense of a player the organization likes ??

What I mean is that the Bengals may be many things, but they are more loyal to players than most organizations I think.

They like Cook, they like Peko and they like Hall.

However, regardless of how much they make with those players possibly leaving, I don't see them getting rid of them.

This isn't a good year for Centers and who knows about Robinson ??

I think they are prepared for life without Peko, but I sure do like him as well.

Hall ?? Who knows with his injuries ??

There are more, but you get my thought process.

In regards to MJ, I've always wondered how much of last year was due to Geno doing what he does in the middle ??

If he were to go to a team that didn't have the talent we do on the d-line, does he survive drawing the double team ??

I like him here, but don't want to overpay and that is why I see him leaving.

MJ and Collins deserve what they have coming to them. Money will be there when they stop paying Peko, BJGE, Whit and Hall.

Unfortunately, BJGE isn't making squat. Cutting him loose would only recoup $2.3 million in actual dollars and just $1.7 million in cap space. Likewise, gains from Peko are minimal; 2014 is the last year of his contract and he will only make $3.9 million. Whit is scheduled to make $5 million next year, but waving goodbye to him in 2014 would only net $3 million against the cap. Jettisoning Hall, which I highly doubt they do, is the only move that would get them big coin, as he will make $8.7 million in salary and bonus in 2014. But even then that would leave $3.6 million in dead money.

That all adds up to $13.6 million in cap space. The Bengals have also pushed forward $10 million from this year. And they will get $13 million in space back with the expiration of Collins' deal and MJ's tag. (There are a bunch of other, lower-cost FAs but I figure they will be re-signed or replaced for equivalent dollars.)

So, yes, in theory the Bengals could assemble a pot of money on the order of $36 million to re-up MJ, and extend Dalton and Green. That said, right now I would put the possibility of cutting BJGE, Peko, Whit and Hall at roughly 0%. And Green is going to eat up most, if not all, of the $10 million they pushed forward. I think they need to keep Collins, so that's another $5 million. That leaves $8 million-ish for Dalton and MJ. Me, I'd let Andy wait (look at BJGE, Peko, Whit and Hall after 2014 when the cap gains are bigger) and go after MJ, but I just don't think that's the way they go. But we'll see.

I'd say Importance of people Resign within next 2 Years would be

1.)Green

2.)dalton (if he continues Grow we have 1-2 years find that out)

3.)Burfict

Gresham & Johnson would be Nice to have back,But only for Reasonable deals that don't kill us Unfortently we have replacements already currently on the team.

I Like MJ and have always supported him but hard keep him around when you have Gilberry & Hunt as Depth behind him...Gresham I think is abit more reasonable Tight Ends don't tend to cost much and Bengals moving to a Two Tight End Offense so if we let him walk we have change the Offense around that.

PS,Does anyone know what our cap numbers are this year & next?

Green, Gresham, Burfict, Dalton. That's my order. This offense when Gresham was hurt was a horror show. He's justifiably unloved due to Playoff Flop 2012, but dude can flat out play now. He drags guys for first downs, blocks well, catches most everything, and is turning into Dalton's safety valve. I do not want to lose him.

check out the image on this tee

/>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-Boogeyman-Vontaze-Burfict-Cincinnati-T-Shirt-/200994302953?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

That's pretty good.

My order to work deals.

MJ - or tag him again.

Collins - I think he might be the last puzzle piece on the line. Him at LT, Whit in to LG.

Green - get deal done fast, or the price keep climbing.

Burfict - makes no sense to wait. Show the guy the money. Let him focus on football. He's not the guy to go soft once he's paid.

Gresh - don't overspend. Do not. He's a front line TE but don't pay him like he's "the best". He's not.

Dalton - he will get his chunk. He will be the QB here for some time. I'm gonna have to just resign myself to that. Hope he continues forward.

I would like for them to target another vet CB this offseason. No way Hall, for as loyal as this team is, can make it back. Having BOTH Achilles go bad for any football player, especially a CB, it's over.

Especially agree on Burfict. Not sure when he can be extended, but do it at first opportunity. He's working damn cheap this year. I think there will be a bidding war for him if we let him play out his contract. I agree that getting paid won't change him. There is a sort of violent demon inside him that informs his play. He's the anti Keith Rivers.

Especially agree on Burfict. Not sure when he can be extended, but do it at first opportunity. He's working damn cheap this year. I think there will be a bidding war for him if we let him play out his contract. I agree that getting paid won't change him. There is a sort of violent demon inside him that informs his play. He's the anti Keith Rivers.

Sure hope he plays tomorrow. I don't want the Bengals to have any excuse. Take no prisoners!!!!!

I want Burfict done as well and understand he isn't getting paid in comparison to what he's producing, but there is time.

As Hoosier pointed out, he's under contract through 2014 and will be a RESTRICTED free agent in 2015.

Again though, I would rather see the Bengals take care of that sooner rather than later.

The end of next season will be fine with me.

Sure hope he plays tomorrow. I don't want the Bengals to have any excuse. Take no prisoners!!!!!

Only if he is 100% fit and ready to play. I'd hate to rush Burfict into the line-up only to see him go down injured and out for the rest of the season. We could have 8 or 9 games of the season left, why risk it all just for one game that isn't the be-all-or-end-all of our campaign.