offense needs to lead

essexjohnson

Hi guys long time Bengal fan. To get to where we want to go, The offense is going to have to lead us there. Leon's injury is huge. We need to dominate t.o.p. We need to put up points. We are on the verge of something I'm not ever sure we would receive - respect. Last two games were huge wins. I don't see it getting any easier. The O is much healthier than the D. I believe in this team. P.S. what did we do to Detroit? Carter, Irons, Hall, and the Super Bowl, I never heard about that curse.

I find myself a bit less dismayed by the loss of Leon than many seem to be (understandably). He's had his injury woes earlier in the season and before that, and the corner depth has typically responded pretty darned well. Obviously this time quite a lot will be decided by Kirkpatrick's play when he sees all sorts of nickel behind Jones and Newman. I think that in limited playing time he has looked at least decent since that terrible but irrelevant preseason nightmare against Dez Bryant. Ghee has plenty of ability too, though his actual long-term participation is a lot to hope for.

I expect the defense to continue to be the strength of this team even with the injuries. If the offense can maintain or at least come close to its recent hot streak moving forward then we have a lot to be excited about. I'd like to see them run the ball a bit better though with both backs, and that would be a paramount development towards improving T.O.P. numbers.

And welcome to the 'Zone!

Losing Hall sucks, but as has been noted elsewhere we are in better shape than last time to deal with his injury. And the strength of the D is, at least supposedly, on the line, not in the secondary.

That said, the offense should be expected to pick it up. They are coming into their eighth game together with no major injuries and I think you can see them getting better game to game. Marvin Jones has come on. Eifert finally got his first TD. Gio is taking more and more of the RB load. Even the o-line appears to be getting in a groove. Time and reps are finally paying off.

We need to dominate t.o.p.

I'd settle for breaking even. Bengals have won a couple of games in which the opposing team had a huge advantage in plays: Lions ran 19 more plays than Cincy, and Packers ran 21 more. giving Aaron Rodgers 21 more plays isn't my recipe for consistent success.

I think that we're pretty fortunate to be 5-2.

I would say our time of possession issues have as much, if not more, to do with the defense's inability to get off the field on third down than with the offense. The O has piled up numerous time-chewing 80- and 90-yard drives. The D, meanwhile, can't get off the field even on third and forever.

I would say our time of possession issues have as much, if not more, to do with the defense's inability to get off the field on third down than with the offense. The O has piled up numerous time-chewing 80- and 90-yard drives. The D, meanwhile, can't get off the field even on third and forever.

Yes, and I thought our time of possession had actually been quite good in all of our wins. The Detroit #s are skewing things a bit since they were so lopsided.

It's the ill timed 3 and outs in the second half that I think need to go away. I think the D has tried to be too tricky on the long third down conversions. It's so weird that we can shut down teams in the third quarter then struggle in the 4th.

Most positive I can see is that we are not hitting on all cylinders and still wining games. Talent level on this team at all time high. Heck Marvin hasn't lost a challenge this year has he? I also need to keep reminding myself how young we are. Lots of first year guy's in mix. Rookies and red shirt freshmen

the strength of the D is, at least supposedly, on the line, not in the secondary.

It was abominable how Detroit were able to rape our secondary when put in 3rd and long situations .... I appeciate Stafford was getting rid of the ball quickly on all snaps and so we never really had a chance to get him in the turf consistently.

O played well enough for Dalton to post up a 139 rating.

Bend don't break baby ..... bend don't break

andy was on fire today. did he under throw anyone?

AJ on what would've been a TD in the 1st quarter. Underthrew AJ again on a pass that he completed to him deep. Other than that, nope.

And even so, AJ dropped that pass that hit him in the hands.

Doesn't usually happen.

Amazing a ball that traveled 55 yards in the air was considered underthrown.

AJ on what would've been a TD in the 1st quarter. Underthrew AJ again on a pass that he completed to him deep. Other than that, nope.

Doesn't usually happen.

The play that AJ dropped wasn't one of the plays that I mentioned.

Not sure if I'm missing sarcasm on the 2nd comment? The ball was underthrown because AJ had to slow down to allow it to come to him, and it didn't catch him in stride.

the strength of the D is, at least supposedly, on the line, not in the secondary.

It was abominable how Detroit were able to rape our secondary when put in 3rd and long situations .... I appeciate Stafford was getting rid of the ball quickly on all snaps and so we never really had a chance to get him in the turf consistently.

Interesting note on the defensive front today from Josh, who caught a comment from Atkins. Apparently, Geno was playing through some knee issues early in the season, which might explain why he had a slow start this year.

Interesting note on the defensive front today from Josh, who caught a comment from Atkins. Apparently, Geno was playing through some knee issues early in the season, which might explain why he had a slow start this year.

Yep, I saw that yesterday when it went out on the twittersphere.

Glad things are healed up!

Yep, I saw that yesterday when it went out on the twittersphere.

Glad things are healed up!

Yup, though we've still got a lot of walking wounded. The good news is that after tomorrow night, the Bengals go into a stretch where they will play just two games over a period of 30 days. Miserable for us fans, but some badly needed rest time for the players.

Doesn't usually happen.

The play that AJ dropped wasn't one of the plays that I mentioned.

Not sure if I'm missing sarcasm on the 2nd comment? The ball was underthrown because AJ had to slow down to allow it to come to him, and it didn't catch him in stride.

I actually coupled the first two long throws to AJ in the first. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I went back and watched the game again and I totally missed something the first time around.

On the long pass play to AJ to end the first, up the middle of the field, AJ went to locate the ball and saw it was going over his head.

He promptly put his head down, picked up the yards needed to make the catch, located the ball and made the catch.

It was a good adjustment that AJ made on a ball that would have been overthrown.

This is exactly what I have mentioned in earlier games.

How much is it the fans just think Dalton throws short and how much falls on both players ??

It was interesting to catch that happening in that play.