Jets @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

With two road games behind them and two ahead, the Bengals come home to host Gang Green. Jets are coming off an upset win over New England fueled by a controversial penalty that gave them a shot at the winning kick at the end of regulation. Chris Ivory ran for 104 yards and Geno Smith has Jets fans asking, "Mark who?" After two big road wins this has all the markings of a letdown game. Jets actually have a top 5 D and a top 15 O in terms of yards, though much worse (24 and 19) in points so this should be a tough game.

No significant injuries for the Jets coming out of the Pats game. For the Bengals obviously Hall is out and we have other guys nicked up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This does seem to have all the markings of a game we'll lose, if for no other reason than because we are winning a lot. As far as how it looks on paper, this should be a game that the Bengals can handle without too much of a test. Even with Leon out, we've got enough depth in our defensive backfield that it shouldn't hurt us that badly. Our defensive front should be able to handle the Jets offensive line and our offense should be able to score against the Jets D, so long as good Andy shows up.

Real logic says we should win this one. Football logic has us set up for a letdown. The homer in me wants to pencil in a W.

A few historical notes, spurred by the note in Jets board thread that the Bengals are 1-9 against the Jets since 1992. That's true. Overall , the Bengals have a 7-15 (.318) record against the Jets, their fifth-worst winning percentage against any team. The silver lining: despite an overall lousy record, the Bengals are .500 (5-5) against the Jets in Cincinnati. They have also split the last two meetings at PBS:

Oct. 21, 2007: Bengals 38, Jets 31. Bengals trail for three quarters before finally edging out to a 24-23 lead in the fourth. Future hall-of-famer Kenny Watson runs all over the Jets, piling up 130 yards and 3 TDs on the ground and catching 3 passes for 27 yards. With 0:46 left in the game and the Jets down by 8, JJoe picks Chad Pennington for a TD, icing the game.

Jan. 9, 2010: Bengals 14, Jets 24. Cincy's playoff futility continues despite a giagantic day by Cedric Benson, who racks up 169 yards on 21 carries. Shank missed two field goals, including a chip shot from the 12. The Bengals also turn the ball over twice, while the defense turns Shonn Greene (21 carries, 135 yards) into an all-pro.

A few historical notes, spurred by the note in Jets board thread that the Bengals are 1-9 against the Jets since 1992. That's true. Overall , the Bengals have a 7-15 (.318) record against the Jets, their fifth-worst winning percentage against any team. The silver lining: despite an overall lousy record, the Bengals are .500 (5-5) against the Jets in Cincinnati. They have also split the last two meetings at PBS:

Oct. 21, 2007: Bengals 38, Jets 31. Bengals trail for three quarters before finally edging out to a 24-23 lead in the fourth. Future hall-of-famer Kenny Watson runs all over the Jets, piling up 130 yards and 3 TDs on the ground and catching 3 passes for 27 yards. With 0:46 left in the game and the Jets down by 8, JJoe picks Chad Pennington for a TD, icing the game.

Jan. 9, 2010: Bengals 14, Jets 24. Cincy's playoff futility continues despite a giagantic day by Cedric Benson, who racks up 169 yards on 21 carries. Shank missed two field goals, including a chip shot from the 12. The Bengals also turn the ball over twice, while the defense turns Shonn Greene (21 carries, 135 yards) into an all-pro.

Its important to note that we've never played the Jets with our current crew (Dalton, et al.).

They seem to like to reverse trends, because they don't have the memory to realize these trends exist in the first place. See the win against Buffalo @ Buffalo, for example.

Its important to note that we've never played the Jets with our current crew (Dalton, et al.).

They seem to like to reverse trends, because they don't have the memory to realize these trends exist in the first place. See the win against Buffalo @ Buffalo, for example.

Yup. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Prior to the Lost Decade, both teams were very streaky versus each other.

1968-71 Bengals are 0-4 vs. NYJ

1973-81: Bengals are 3-0

1983-85: Bengals are 0-3

1986-90: Bengals are 3-1

Then from 1992-2004 the Bengals lost 5 straight, but only one game in 1997 was a blowout (31-14 Jets). The other four games the Jets won by 3, 5, 1 and 7. Bengals finally broke the streak in 2007 with that 38-31 win.

The last four games, all Bengals losses, haven't really been close: 12, 37, 10 and 16-point losses (the 37 point loss was the week before the playoff game when they didn't even try).

I really never care about positive or negative historical trends against other teams. They refer to players and coaches long gone and just have no bearing on anything in the present. Not to suggest you're making any connections, Hoosier. Maybe the home losses to Pittsburgh the last decade could be an exception.

I feel fine about this game. I don't mean we're clearly and definitely going to win it, I just mean I am not getting those gross letdown vibes that I suspect all of us felt before the Cleveland game. The Jets have been better than expected but are still a terribly flawed team. The Bengals have looked pretty damned solid at home so far. I don't think Geno Smith is going to have a career day despite our frustrations against Hoyer/Thad, and I think it's more likely the defense rebounds from yesterday's third down nightmare than repeat it or regress further.

The Bengals will be favored to win and they should be. This core and this staff has been better about living up to those expectations than any other I can remember this franchise putting on the field.

Yup. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Prior to the Lost Decade, both teams were very streaky versus each other.

1968-71 Bengals are 0-4 vs. NYJ

1973-81: Bengals are 3-0

1983-85: Bengals are 0-3

1986-90: Bengals are 3-1

Then from 1992-2004 the Bengals lost 5 straight, but only one game in 1997 was a blowout (31-14 Jets). The other four games the Jets won by 3, 5, 1 and 7. Bengals finally broke the streak in 2007 with that 38-31 win.

The last four games, all Bengals losses, haven't really been close: 12, 37, 10 and 16-point losses (the 37 point loss was the week before the playoff game when they didn't even try).

Too bad we also didn't try the next week when it mattered. Not that I'm a bitter person or anything...

As for the whole discussion of history, it's fun but ultimately pointless. When I see these things on forums I go, "Hey, here's an interesting tidbit." When I see s**t like this on sports news sites and the pundits talk about it like it all has any meaning whatsoever, I want to punch the nearest sports "journalist" in the face.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I like that you looked this stuff up and posted it. My condemnation of such things is when people try to act like s**t that happened in the 80s has some bearing on the teams playing this weekend.

Geno Smith is pretty good for a rookie. True we lost Leon Hall, but Ghee and Kirkpatrick combined together equal one healthy cornerback, albeit an inexperienced one. So what, they're qb, who I secretly wanted the Bengals to draft, is also inexperienced. I think the Jets players know what's coming. A PBS beatdown with no paid off ref to invoke an obscure rule no one has ever heard of to save their asses. Jets lose.

Geno Smith is pretty good for a rookie. True we lost Leon Hall, but Ghee and Kirkpatrick combined together equal one healthy cornerback, albeit an inexperienced one. So what, they're qb, who I secretly wanted the Bengals to draft, is also inexperienced. I think the Jets players know what's coming. A PBS beatdown with no paid off ref to invoke an obscure rule no one has ever heard of to save their asses. Jets lose.

I'm not so sure your secret desire for Geno Smith is so secret anymore COB ^_^

Love the enthusiasm though. I'd kill for a week when the Bengals just blow somebody out instead of making me shred the arms of my chair.

As for the whole discussion of history, it's fun but ultimately pointless. When I see these things on forums I go, "Hey, here's an interesting tidbit." When I see s**t like this on sports news sites and the pundits talk about it like it all has any meaning whatsoever, I want to punch the nearest sports "journalist" in the face.

Yah, this is for entertainment purposes only. Just some fluff to chew on while we wait for Sunday.

Since the Bengals have a quick turnaround after the Jets game to the Halloween tilt in Miami, may as well throw this in here: the Ravens just shipped Bryant McKinnie to the Dolphins (no report on compensation yet).

Huh, I knew McKinnie was not exactly standing out at Baltimore, but their offensive line as a whole was pretty bad as far as I understood it. They had just picked up Eugene Monroe from, I think, Jacksonville like a week ago. They must not have thought much of McKinnie if they aren't going to use him to shore anything up or even as depth. Seems like good news for us either way.

EDIT: Turns out PFF (I know, I know) rated Miami's tackle Tyson Clabo 66th overall. And Mckinnie? 65th...

I'm with the above poster as I am not getting the bad vibes I was getting before the Cleveland game. Especially with this game being at home, I'm looking at a ten point victory or so. The Jets' defense is really good, so I don't expect us to put up a bunch of point, but Geno Smith doesn't strike me as a quarterback that's going to give us problems. He's had a couple of good games, but he's been a turnover machine at the same time. This will be a good game to see where our secondary's at minus Leon...if we get chewed up by these Jets receivers, then we have some big problems.

I'm with the above poster as I am not getting the bad vibes I was getting before the Cleveland game. Especially with this game being at home, I'm looking at a ten point victory or so. The Jets' defense is really good, so I don't expect us to put up a bunch of point, but Geno Smith doesn't strike me as a quarterback that's going to give us problems. He's had a couple of good games, but he's been a turnover machine at the same time. This will be a good game to see where our secondary's at minus Leon...if we get chewed up by these Jets receivers, then we have some big problems.

The key to this game is flustering him into turnovers. TOs is one of the few areas our D has not been good at this year. We need the crowd to really scream and get into it

Honestly, I feel much better about this game than some of the others.

The Jets had Sunday's game gift wrapped.

Outside of that, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Atlanta.

They lost to New England, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh.

They are yet another team that plays up and down and are 1-2 on the road.

I'm calling for a Bengals win in this one.

Pressure Geno Smith.

The defense needs to regrow themselves a pair

Where have they been since the Patriots game?

Especially our highly compensated D-Line

Weird thing is that, statistically, they look pretty good, 7th in points allowed and 9th in yards. But the eyeball test doesn't really match those numbers. In particular, their season-long struggles to get off the field on third down are getting ridiculous. They have been mediocre in the turnover department, too, and QB pressure has been spotty at best.

They definitely need to pick it up.

Yeah, it would be nice to see them have a game in hand in the 2nd quarter and not have to worry about them giving up the lead.

A good old fashioned blow out would be a nice change of pace for us. Good knows my heart would appreciate it.

The defense needs to figure it out. I agree Hoosier, the stats don't match what we see on the field.

How many times have they been up in a game this year only to see the other team come roaring back ??

Stop that nonsense and put a team away. When they are down, kick'em again. Then again.