State of the Bengals

combatbengal

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still wonder why Dalton dosent run more, I remember in college he was actually a pretty good runner. Im not saying all the time, but when the pocket is breaking down, sometimes I think he just stands there.

If Dalton is given time, and the o-line gives Dalton room in the pocket to step up, he can make great throws. I think that is proven in the Chicago, and Green bay game, hell even in the Steelers game he had some nice throws. I do sometimes think he feels the pressure, and he panics to soon and his passes are bad, but that's when I wish he would get out of the pocket, and run or get out and throw.

We have to remember his numbers are just as good as Palmers first couple years, and has as many TDs in his first couple seasons as some of the best QBs. He also got this team to the playoffs in his first 2 years, when was the last time we saw that.

I think a lot of people want to find somebody to blame for losses and its very easy to point to Dalton, and I get that as I want perfection from him as well. Its a team game, and watching the game again everybody had there hand in it. He was horrible in this last game, for the season hes not been that bad. I do wish there were some throws he would hit down field better, but overall hes not a horrible QB. Plenty of games left, so lets hope for good things.

WE'RE FINE.

We're 2-2. People are acting like we're 0-4...seriously what the hell. We're going to be fine. No need to abandon ship. We were going to lose to the Browns. You could see it coming from a mile away. I would have been SHOCKED if we won that game.

I do not understand the bashing of Dalton. I'm assuming it has to do with the playoff games. Was he frustrating on Sunday? Hell yes. Unbelievably so. This is a guy who is a whole 4 games into his third season. Back to back playoff appearances...9-7, 10-6, and we'll be better this year. He's put up numbers in his first two years comparable to some all-time great Quarterbacks. There are improvements to be made, for sure. (The batted balls at the line of scrimmage DRIVE ME CRAZY) But I don't understand how you can bail on this guy already.

You would have been "shocked" had a team many think could go to the Super Bowl with the talent on their roster beat a team many thought would again be the worst in the league ?? That's a little funny. Don't get me wrong, they always play the Bengals tough, but this is not a game the Bengals should have lost.

I think many are simply frustrated with Dalton due to what appears to be continued problems and not improvements.

I like all the "He's done things in his first two years" blah blah blah as well, but sooner or later it's not enough.

He has to hit wide open receivers when they are, well, wide open.

Again, I think he has the ability to lead this team, but he's got to figure it out.

Figure it out with the coaches, players, whatever. Just figure it the f*ck out.

Why? Because the people we need to worry about bailing on Dalton aren't the fans, it's the players.

But I don't understand how you can bail on this guy already.

I'm not bailing on ChristianMingle.com (my new nickname for Dalton, used to call him Dilfer2.0 but I can't do that to Trent Dilfer anymore), but I'm also not counting on him to improve or turn into something he's not. He's a mediocre quarterback who has a very good team around him and is being asked not to blow it.

Unfortunately, he's blowing it. The Green Bay game? Seriously? He sucked in the first half. And unless he used mind control to force the Pack to fumble while they were salting away the game, ChristianMingle.com lost that game more than he won it. I'll support the Bengals forever, but I also trust my own eyes. I don't care that you can plug Dalton's stats into a divergence theorem or something and it says he's good. I can see how good quarterbacks throw, how accurate they are, and then I see Dalton. I can see the difference.

It has been a long time since the Bengals were out muscled in a game but the Browns completely pushed us around on both sides of the ball, their DBs were more physical than our WRs, their D-Line pushed our O-Line around all game and their O-Line (particularly at the end of the game) mauled our D-Line. That HAS to get fixed....this week....or else we can kiss the season good bye.

Unfortunately the Giants signed Connor last week. About all we can do at the moment is cross our fingers and hope Pressley can get off PUP ASAP.

Bengals went into this game expecting to be handed a W and instead they got punched in the mouth. If yesterday doesn't get both coaches and players to pull their heads out of their asses, nothing will.

Pressley is the answer? John Connor? Get serious. FBs have hardly figured in Gruden's offense even when we did have them on the roster. I understand being pissed off by the lousy game in Cleveland, but s**t happens. The better measure of this team is how they respond to that loss. Except for Ghee and Kirkpatrick, this is a pretty tough team.

Pressley is the answer? John Connor? Get serious. FBs have hardly figured in Gruden's offense even when we did have them on the roster.

Um, no. Pressley was in on 17% of snaps in 2012 and after he got hurt and they brought Connor in, he was in on another 2% of offensive snaps. I wouldn't call one in five snaps "hardly figured."

By comparison, through week 4, Orson Charles has been in on 3% of offensive snaps.

We have a phenomenal blocking FB in Peko!! What we should do is use him more often; he loves playing ironman football. I’m not saying playing him on every down but maybe 4-5 plays a game; on short yardage downs. But be creative. Let him plow through the middle to open holes and let the RB following him. Defenses will catch on; they’ll see Peko lined up as the FB and expect a run; so, every now and then, fake the run and hit the WR on a quick screen or down and out.

Another idea and put Sanu as QB and let him roll out for a run, a dump off pass or a bomb to Green. That worked last year. None of us even realized Sanu was the QB until the play was over!!

I’m not suggesting running a butt load of trick plays but we do need to mix it up. Find ways to confuse the Def. I’ve been saying it since game 2, Gio needs to be our starting RB! He needs more touches. Why not put him and the Law Firm on the field at the same time?

We have a phenomenal blocking FB in Peko!! What we should do is use him more often; he loves playing ironman football. I’m not saying playing him on every down but maybe 4-5 plays a game; on short yardage downs. But be creative. Let him plow through the middle to open holes and let the RB following him. Defenses will catch on; they’ll see Peko lined up as the FB and expect a run; so, every now and then, fake the run and hit the WR on a quick screen or down and out.

Another idea and put Sanu as QB and let him roll out for a run, a dump off pass or a bomb to Green. That worked last year. None of us even realized Sanu was the QB until the play was over!!

I’m not suggesting running a butt load of trick plays but we do need to mix it up. Find ways to confuse the Def. I’ve been saying it since game 2, Gio needs to be our starting RB! He needs more touches. Why not put him and the Law Firm on the field at the same time?

I would love to see a pass to Peko at the goal line ala refrigerator Perry.

I don't love Peko at FB.

I like the outcomes to this point, but I would rather see someone other than our starting DT needing to man that role.

Again, I believe the reason for Charles had more to do with being able to sustain the TE formations we run if someone were to get injured.

I still think they got too cute with that decision.

If that were our only problem though, it's not that huge.

On another front, I was pleased to read in the postgame coverage yesterday and today that Marvin & Co. kicked some asses in practice last week. This team seems highly susceptible to "big head syndrome" and I think coaches are going to have to keep reminding them that working hard still matters and that their crap does, in fact, smell. So props to the coaching staff. Keep it up.