1st Round: Tyler Eifert

ArmyBengal

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I don't hate the kid in the least.

I'm trying to understand the reason.

We lost last year's playoff game because our tight end played like complete crap. I really think that's the reason. Our OC probably sees the TE as imperative to exploiting today's pass rush happy defenses, and the current guy can't get it done.

Price tag on Gresham's second contract just went way down.

Also, I know this is moot at this point, but they should have taken Geno Smith. I really think he's going to be a very good player in this league, and our current guy is about at the bottom of what you'd consider acceptable as your starter. Chance to get better at the most important position, but Andy and Jay Gruden are spooning somewhere right now as I type this, so you knew Geno wasn't gonna happen.

This is no indictment on Gresham. It's just a New Englad clone that has me pretty excited. There's no doubt that inconsistency on offense was the teams biggest weakness last season and this should help all parties involved, Gresham included.

And, if Sanu comes back healthy and we manage to nap a speed back in the 2nd round...?

As for TE, it now boils down to a camp battle between Charles and Smith. It would be a shame to have wasted the pick on Charles last year, but at least the contract won't cripple the team in any way.

I think it is an indictment on Gresham. I just went back and read the stuff guys posted in this thread about Eifert's skill package. Keeps jumping out, "catches it in traffic, good in traffic, tough and will snatch it out of the air in traffic, willingly takes hits over the middle and bounces right back up." That's what they want in a tight end. Gresham flinches and gator arms in traffic. An addition true, but also an upgrade.

No hate, just confused - same here, Army

He is clearly a receiving type TE, not a blocker, and not a three down TE, which is probably my greatest disappointment here. I mean - for a round 1 pick at TE, we should end up with a three down guy, and we didn't.

As I read more about this guy, I see he is a team-first guy, a high character guy. I also see he learned (mostly in 2012) to line up all over the field.....wideout, blocker, hback, slot, whatever. Made me start to think of him a bigger, stronger, (and yes, slower) version of Sanu who via versatility (in addition to size) can create mismatches on the field.

Another piece I read that tied him to Cincinnati specifically mentioned that with Dalton's limited arm strength (yeah, yeah, I didn't write the piece, folks) having better short and intermediate range targets like this guy is a very good thing

and of course - Gresham's recent bout of the dropsies - maybe this inspires (frightens?) Gresham into raising his game considerably....and then dare I say we end up with a poor man's version of the Gronk/Hernandez combo? That'd be quite pleasing

so - to take this a step further - is the player he is pushing down the depth chart not the 2nd/3rd/4th string guys, but actually the first string guy, Gresham?

All that said - I think I'd still have been somewhat happier with Xavier Rhodes given the age we have at corner but I nonetheless acknowlege that overall we need more improvements on offense than we do on defense, and hopefully this guy provides that

Hopefully

Eifert wasn't best available.

Maybe best available that made sense, but not best available.

I will like this pick more when Gresham doesn't want to bend us over in FA.

I don't think he will make much of an impact in 2013 though.

I'm really hoping i'm wrong.

I will also readily agree that at least they didn't reach for a guy like Lacy.

Sorry sky but I lean toward COB here. Gresham did himself no favors by making a hash of Jay's game plan. Not the whole of it but made the pick a lot easier to sell.

I think it is an indictment on Gresham. I just went back and read the stuff guys posted in this thread about Eifert's skill package. Keeps jumping out, "catches it in traffic, good in traffic, tough and will snatch it out of the air in traffic, willingly takes hits over the middle and bounces right back up." That's what they want in a tight end. Gresham flinches and gator arms in traffic. An addition true, but also an upgrade.

Yeah, he had a TERRIBLE game. He also tends to disappear completely in some games. And, sure, it's possible that Eifert will be the better of the two before it's all said and done.

But, Gresham's still a 2-time pro-bowler and more productive than 95% of the other TEs in the league. You're not just going to toss him to the wayside and move on.

Now that you have Eifert to draw some heat off of Gresham it should make it easier for him to get open. They're not hoping the new kid comes in and makes Gresham irrelevant. They're hoping the new kid comes in and helps Gresham take that next step.

Oh, and it should also help that other guy we have...what's his name? A.G. something...?

So if the Bengals wanted a WR, why didn't they just pick one then ??

How many snaps does anyone think Eifert is going to get ??

Out of that, how many targets ??

What impact will our shiny new first round TE make ??

I just wanted more out of our first round pick THIS season.

Just to clarify, i'm not angry so please don't interpret my posts in that manner.

Pull a draft and trade by taking Geno Smith.

If the trade doesn't happen, you have either a new starter or one hell of a backup.

I'm not really advocating that scenario, just throwing it out there.

Oh, and it should also help that other guy we have...what's his name? A.G. something...?

Oh yea, that guy. Just thinking about him makes it all better! I hope you are right, less heat and Gresham can dominate one on one coverage.

Well, the benefit is that you can now legitimately line-up in a 2-TE formation and "not" run the ball every time, spread either TE out, use Alex Smith or Eifert as an H-back, and just completely f**k with defenses. Dalton needs that, bad.

Because they're already happy with Sanu and Jones? And because two TE sets will cause all kinds of matchup problems, especially with the secondary already focused on Green.

Or perhaps it's to give Dalton more short/intermediate options since deep passes are obviously not his specialty. I think his arm strength is fine, but his accuracy is not.

This question occurred to me as well.

My best guess as to the answer:

Patterson is too much of a bust prospect

Hopkins is too huge a character risk

Allen is simply too slow

Not saying I agree with all that, just this might have been the line of thought

I just wanted more out of our first round pick THIS season.

Just to clarify, i'm not angry so please don't interpret my posts in that manner.

Pull a draft and trade by taking Geno Smith.

If the trade doesn't happen, you have either a new starter or one hell of a backup.

I'm not really advocating that scenario, just throwing it out there.

I would say because, if Sanu comes back playing like he was, we have the WR position covered. What we didn't have was enough production from our TE. Now some might put that down to them being underused, but Gresham hardly made an impact when he was targeted. If we can run the two TE set and have the sort of production out of Sanu this year that we saw flashes of last year, I think this guy could make a real impact on our offense.

I'm with you on being surprised by the pick and a bit uncertain why we decided this was what we needed out of the first round, but I am seeing the logic in it at least. If they turn around and grab an RB and SS or OLB in the second round, I won't be disappointed. Our biggest glaring weakness all last year was the consistent failure of our O to score. If this helps alleviate that problem, I'll be happy as hell.